Walther Forums banner

181 - 200 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have only used Mini-Mag HP's in my P22Q since I purchased it a year ago. Nice pistol, very accurate. Even with the Mini-Mags, I have at least one stovepipe per box, sometimes two. I decided to go with what a number of people in this forum report are quality rounds for the P22 — Remington Golden Bullets — and voila, I ran 200 rounds through it at the range today with zero problems. Since Mini-Mags are really hard to find around here, or get snarfed up as soon as they hit the stores, I'm going with the Remington GB's. Now, I bought two 100-round boxes at Academy — my question is, are the 525-round bulk packs as good a quality round as the smaller box? With the 36-grain Mini-Mag HP's, it's been my experience there are a few more problems in the bulk packs than in the 100-round boxes. Not many problem rounds, just enough to make you wonder. And, it may not even be the ammo, it may be my pistol, which now is well broken in. Anyone else have the same or similar problem with bulk packs?
I know the price is right, and I can sure burn a lot more .22-cal. powder for the money than my other Walther's in 9mm and .380.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Well....the price was right ten years ago...bulk box for $6. The price is not alright these days....but, what can you do. I've shot a lot of bulk RGBs and still do. A bulk box will run from O duds to four perhaps. One time I got two in a row that were duds. But, since this is a plinker....I don't care. The RGBs are snappy....not sure why other brands with similar specs aren't.

Here is one shooting with no cleaning or lubing of a P22 and no stoppage allowed or the shoot ended. Dud rounds didn't count against the pistol...A P22 can be made to run pretty smoothly and that is a lot of spent cases on the floor.....Do you know how long it takes to load that many rounds? :p That is what wears your shootin' hand out....not pulling the trigger. 1917

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Actually.....when I was a teen I paid $6 per 500 rounds back in about 1965. I preferred Peters high velocity for one rifle I owned. That same $6 equates to over $46 in 2017 money.....so, while not the bargain they were 10 years ago....I guess they aren't too badly priced. 1917

·
Registered
60 Posts
You're right about the price and right again about what can you do. I'm just glad I can use the RGB's now in my P22 and not have to online order Mini-Mags all the time. Been shooting 9mm and .380 so much, I forgot how fun it is to just pop off a few boxes of .22-cal. I remember a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, when a box of .22 shells went up to 50-cents a box, we all thought the world had come to an end.
:D:D:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Actually.....when I was a teen I paid $6 per 500 rounds back in about 1965. I preferred Peters high velocity for one rifle I owned. That same $6 equates to over $46 in 2017 money.....so, while not the bargain they were 10 years ago....I guess they aren't too badly priced. 1917
You also got a McDonald's hamburger for 10 cents. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
In 1968, I could get 4 McDonald's burgers for a buck, and if they didn't get it to you within a minute, it was free. And that was in a packed McDonald's in a college town before they had places for you to sit down and eat. Probably what's the matter with me today, I ate too damn many of those little burgers. Ah, the good old days. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update:

Had a really long day out in a Bureau of Land Management shooting area. Fired +/-700 rounds of nothing but Golden Bullets out of the bulk bucket. No cleaning in between at all and just 2 FTE to report and good accuracy. The internals are covered in soot, but I'm pretty happy with my gun!

I trust it to shoot Golden Bullets reliably enough that I'm saving my minimags for my 10/22 instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just recently went to the range and fired 160 rounds of various brands of 22 ammo, stingers, velocitors,CCI mini mags, Aquila, Norma T22s and the new CCI all copper .21 grain bullet with a 5 inch barrel, not one FTF or FTE or
fire, first time with the longer barrel and was pleasantly surprised at its accuracy, just a point of information the norma T22 s have a light coat of oil on each round, first time I've ever seen that with 22 ammo, all in all I'm very happy with the P22 no problems mechanically, was alittle Leary getting it after reading some of the negatives on this forum ..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ran a full 550-round pack of Rem. Golden Bullets through my P22Q the past two weeks and not one single hiccup. Am really liking this little pistol and I'm finding that .22LR suddenly is becoming very easy to acquire in northern Oklahoma — even Mini-Mags! Now, if Wal-Mart would just stop with their one-box-per-day limit, it would be even more fun. I guess Academy gets all my .22 business now. :)

Reactions: BobJarnagin

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another update ... been through 1,000 rounds of GB's now and not a single hiccup. Love the GB's for my P22Q. Going to stick with them. This little pistol is darned accurate!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, I have to ask for some advice...I've owned my P22 for 5 years and have shot about 3,000 rounds through it. I completely disassemble and thoroughly clean it after every trip to the range, and it still WILL NOT perform well unless I use CCI Mini Mags or Remington Thunderbolts (trust me, I've tried them all). ANY other ammo causes at least one failure to eject per magazine, usually more. I've tried different magazines to no avail. I love this gun, but I'm at my wits end!! Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice! Glad to be here with a new P22QD. The gun ran fairly well with Federal Target ammo bulk 325 rounds for 17.99. Dirty stuff. The occasional issue was on the second round from a full magazine. Don't understand what was going on yet, but it was the second round that didn't fire sometime. Didn't pay enough attention to fully categorize, but some were failure to eject properly.

Better CCI ammo ran very well.

Not ready to do any mods yet, except perhaps the hammer trim.

The rear sight is a bit crooked and I was hitting really low at 20 yds with #4 front sight and 6 o'clock sighting. When I aimed to have my center bead on top of a previous splat mark my placement was good and repeatable.

Was using some graphite in the slide (from a pencil) as a lube.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
OK, I have to ask for some advice...I've owned my P22 for 5 years and have shot about 3,000 rounds through it. I completely disassemble and thoroughly clean it after every trip to the range, and it still WILL NOT perform well unless I use CCI Mini Mags or Remington Thunderbolts (trust me, I've tried them all). ANY other ammo causes at least one failure to eject per magazine, usually more. I've tried different magazines to no avail. I love this gun, but I'm at my wits end!! Does anyone have any ideas?
We are full of ideas and if we don't know....we'll make something up. First off, what pistol do you have....two letter date code please and next how long is the stagger slot on the magazines. They come with a 3/8" slot which is no good and 1" slots which are good. And have you tried Remington Golden Bullets....not Thunderbolts. Thunderbolts are bare lead and can quickly foul the light rifling in the P22. Plated ammo is your friend here. Also, Federal and Winchester are on the weak end out of this pistol and probably all other short barrel pistols. I don't care what the box says velocity wise.....you can easily feel the difference...RGBs vs Fed or Winchester.

Failure to eject can be caused by a couple of things....weak ammo not blowing the slide back far and hard enough,, limp wristing....keep a firm grip on all semi auto pistols regardless of caliber and especially on .22s which are pretty wimpy to begin with. Next you need to scrub your chamber out. A round should easily drop in and drop out. If not...scrub it some more. You won't hurt it....made of hard steel. Lead is hard to get out. How about an inspection of spent cases...any bad scratches down the sides that might indicate something in the chamber causing the case to drag. Remember, in a .22 semi auto the spent case is blown out by hot gasses....not the extractor. OK, think about those. 1917

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Make sure the barrel nut is tight and the two frame screws on the right side of the pistol. If they won't stay tight blue thread lock them after degreasing. I assume you extractor and ejector aren't damaged. The ejector fits on two pins but it is not a tight fit. Remington golden bullets are bulk ammo too....bottom of the line price wise but they snap right out of there really fast. Primer, powder....I don't know why.....I've asked. 1917

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
The rear sight is a bit crooked and I was hitting really low at 20 yds with #4 front sight and 6 o'clock sighting. When I aimed to have my center bead on top of a previous splat mark my placement was good and repeatable.

Was using some graphite in the slide (from a pencil) as a lube.
#4 is a tall sight and will make you shoot low at normal plinking distances. I use #2. The new pistol came with a #3 on it. The rear sight is only for windage adjustments. Will have to take it off if I get serious with shooting this one. I have a 5" model for serious shooting. 5/8" groups at 25M....the short barrel won't do that. Of course...off hand...I can't either....that was from a rest. :) 1917

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine blew through 112 RGBs today. Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had very good results with the Browning BPR bulk pack 40 gr. HV. ($22.99 for 400 @ Midway). I have put 400+ rounds through my new P22 Q CA. Seems to shoot fairly clean and accurate. I like that it has a little more kick then the standard bulk Federal rounds. I get a couple FTE's out of a bulk pack of 400, but that seems to be par for the course with cheap bulk .22 ammo. If I reload any duds they shoot 99% of the time. I did notice that if I don't occasionally wipe the residue from the top of my P22 mags the slide won't lock back consistently on the last round. I think this ammo is the same as the Winchester M22 brand. For the price, availability, and performance I like it. The BPR ammo also works well in my Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Howdy all, a new owner here.

I'm inquiring about any break in period (number of rounds) where you found a smoothness start to happen in slide operation or accuracy markedly increased?

181 - 200 of 221 Posts