Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends. I have some information for P22 "newbies" and "old salts" as well. In regards to the best ammunition you can get for your P22, here is the Golden Fleece:

We all know how our Walthers are ammo fussy. After much trial and error my girl and I have found several rounds her P22 likes, but her P22 LOVES these nasty pellets! No failures through two boxes of them. They are hyper-velocity rounds that scream away at over 1600 feet per second (you can clearly hear a sonic "crack"), and are hollow points as well! Squirrels and opossum beware! These would be the rounds to consider if you carry a P22 for protection purposes as well. That round is going to shatter into a million pieces on impact and do some serious damage.

What's better? I do not lie when I make the statement that these little rounds produce the most spectacular muzzle flash I have ever seen from a handgun! I have shot 9mm kurz, 9mm Luger, .357 Magnum, and .40 handguns and I am confident in stating these Stingers make an incredible muzzle flash! A basketball-sized ball of bright blue-white flame flashes before the P22 when firing these bullets, visible in bright daylight.

Just thought I'd share. These bullets are incredible and your P22 will thank you for feeding it some Stingers, and you will smile after a magazine of them!

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
144 Posts
Stingers are good, but mine loves CCI mini-mags the best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Though expensive, I carry Velocitors in mine when I carry in the woods. Those are 1435FPS out of a rifle, and 40 grain (not 32 grain). Though man are these loud; I had my P22 for only a few hours when I ran into a handy red squirrel, I only fired one shot but my ears were ringing pretty good!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Though expensive, I carry Velocitors in mine when I carry in the woods. Those are 1435FPS out of a rifle, and 40 grain (not 32 grain). Though man are these loud; I had my P22 for only a few hours when I ran into a handy red squirrel, I only fired one shot but my ears were ringing pretty good!
question is did you get the squirrel?

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You bet I did! Gave up his ghost before he hit the ground.
Good shooting. Now my question: did you eat him too? I would never shoot an animal unless:

A) I intend to eat it.

B) It's a mean dog or other animal who intends to eat me.

C) It's vermin who is doing destructive damage to my house/trashcan/garden.

Not to sound like a hillbilly, but squirrel is quite delicious although the small amount of meat makes taking several home necessary. I could share a wonderful recipe if anyone were interested.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm confused over all the fuss about the P22 being ammunition picky. This has been discussed on another forum to which I belong.

Mine shoots literally anything! The cheapest bulk packs shoot as well as CCI Mini Mags (my Sig Mosquito would argue that one).

I have some low velocity competition rounds that gave me a FTE when I tried those, but I use those solely in my Kimber competition rifle.

Try these little tips...
Polish the feed ramp by hand
Place a drop of oil in the little extractor hole on the slide
Rub a very small amount of oil on the face of the hammer and on the barrel surface (outside the barrel).
One drop of oil on each frame rail

And viola, you have removed most of the friction. This thing proves to be flawless!

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ironman, you may be either lucky or have fired your P22 enough to have properly broken it in and loosened things up properly. My girls has become a lot better with time but when she first got it the P22 was very fussy. Oh, and have you ever tried that Federal bulk .22 ammo, in the red 550 round Value Pack box? Try those in your P22 and prepare for Failure-to-Feed city! It's the ridge around the side of the bullet.... catches the side of the chamber and jams almost every time. Plus, those are just plain filthy, smoky rounds that foul the Walther with soot and ash, and you will feel stinging sensations as you shoot them because tiny pieces of the bullet seem to fly off as they leave the barrel. You'll see peppery speckles about your firing area after a few dozen of those yucky rounds... if you get that far without dumping them into the can! :D

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ironman, we seem to have found a symbiotic relationship in your last post. My girl has three boxes of 1000 each of those Thunderbolts. And yes, they cycle fine. We've both together found the perfect bulk round for "our" P22's without having previously spoken on the matter.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Pilotsteve, ours loves Fed bulk 550 packs, I'll admit that they aren't exactly clean-burning, but the P22, the Ruger mkIIIs, the 10/22s, the henry, and the NAA mini all eat Fed bulk 550 happily, it is my standard .22LR purchase, I buy some whenever I'm getting the WalMart drone to open the ammo case up for anything else.

CCI Minimags are the standard for more serious target shooting, the muzzle blasr and noise aren't too helpful for killing paper.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I buy the Remington Thunderbolt .22 in a green box. It is also bulk, but shoots great.
My $.02, take those Thunderbolts and bury them somewhere. They will do nothing but lead up your P22's barrel and cause problems further down the lne. I've seen many photos of this problem, and a few videos as well.
For the best results stick with Remmington Golden bullets in the bulk packs or CCI Mini Mags.

·
Registered
22 Posts
+1 on the Remy Golden Bullets.

Both P22s in my family love to eat 'em. My wife's P22 almost ended up going in the furnace before we got it properly broken in, man it was frustrating. Now it shoots like a dream. I got lucky with mine and haven't ever had any issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
... yeah, I gave it all the TLC required and it was still failure city. Turned out to be the lips on her magazines. A few minutes with the needle nose solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My $.02, take those Thunderbolts and bury them somewhere. They will do nothing but lead up your P22's barrel and cause problems further down the line.
Yes, JBR, they do leave lead residue and they pepper me with fragments while shooting. I've been stung in the forehead by hot lead particles when firing the Thunderbolts. But they shoot fine and are cheap. And with my income (which is basically non-existent) if I want to shoot, it's got to be cheap and available, which the Thunderbolts are.

BigfatDave, I'm really surprised you P22 likes that Federal bulk poo. My girls' P22 will not feed them into the chamber and jams nearly every time. We bought a 550 count box of them given to us and we tried them at the range. Hers would consume the Thunderbolts with joy but it was nothing but failure to feed with the Federal, plus a sooty, filthy P22. We ended up giving the whole box to a couple of guys at the range who had a MkII, which really will eat anything!

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm with Ironman. My P-22 will shoot anything including Remington subsonic. I must have been very lucky. I have fired almost all of the brands of ammo available in my area. My next purchase is a supressor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They are funny beasts those P22's :)
No Fed for mine.

I recently ran some Velocitors and I/it was great.
RGB's for plinking
Mini-mags when I want it to go bang and cycle every time.
and now Velocitors when I want punch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought I'd try the Fed 550 bulk and consistent problems. Finished off the box after a couple of range trips. Just grinned and beared it. Next time I went to the range after that box was used up I used CCI Mini Mag 40gr. Not a single issue.

Go figure. I was hopeful I could use the Fed, but CCI Mini Mag are still cheaper than 9mm!

1 - 20 of 219 Posts