Walther Forums banner

201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I'm not new to shooting, I'm getting back into after not taking a shot in 20+ years (gun shy wife, long story. Still married to her, just finally got her to come around). I bought my P22QD last week after seeing a plinking lane at my local range. First rounds I sent through it were CCI/Speer Tactical 40gr bulk. All 300 rounds fired flawlessly. First trip to the range I put 200 of them through it, went back today put the last 100 through it. I had picked up a 325 bulk pack of Federal Automatic target grade and had a lot of FTE with one FTF. Has anyone else seen this problem? After the first range visit I did clean the pistol and made sure to apply CLP to the rails, slide and anywhere else that rubs. *edit* And yes, I cleaned it again after today. I clean my firearms after each visit.

I'm going to try the blazer rounds next, but only get a 50 rd box to try em. The CCI/Speer Tac cost me $30 for 300, compare that to 2.49 per 50 of the Blazer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First rounds I sent through it were CCI/Speer Tactical 40gr bulk. All 300 rounds fired flawlessly.

I had picked up a 325 bulk pack of Federal Automatic target grade and had a lot of FTE with one FTF. Has anyone else seen this problem?

After the first range visit I did clean the pistol and made sure to apply CLP to the rails, slide and anywhere else that rubs. *edit* And yes, I cleaned it again after today. I clean my firearms after each visit.

I'm going to try the blazer rounds next, but only get a 50 rd box to try em. The CCI/Speer Tac cost me $30 for 300, compare that to 2.49 per 50 of the Blazer.
I edited out a few things from your original post to focus on the important points and this is just my 2c worth of input for you to consider and reject. You won't offend me :) Everyone has slightly different results :

I purchsed a new P22QD four or maybe five months ago and have put about 3000 rounds through it with mixed results.

The Bad: Federal Target, Federal Gameshock as well as Aguila Pistol Match have been tried, but unfortunately my QD does not like any of them. The Aguila especially is just nowhere near powerful enough (running at "only" 947 fps compared to the 1230+ fps of the ones that work well in it) to cycle in my QD and just about every round fails to feed or eject. Of course a short barrel means lower power than rated on the box too, so it can be even worse?

The Good: The first 300 rounds through it were CCI Mini-mags 36 grain. All ran flawlessly. Another couple of hundred 40 grain and they ran great too. I got a few FTF and stovepipes on the first few hundred Remington Golden Bullets and Remington Thunderbolts I put through it, but after that they cleared up and now run just fine too. Also CCI Blazer work perfectly in my weapon.

I think the QD simply needs the higher power rounds to cycle properly and also its unfair to draw conclusions until you have maybe more than about 1,000 rounds through it to break it in and knock off any "rough" edges. Interestingly, I also found using the 5" barrel kit on it helped a lot. It is much more reliable (more speed, velocity, pressure, whatever else with the longer barrel) and to some degree more accurate (due to longer sight radius) than with the regular barrel. I get 2.5" groups consistently at out to 25 yards but beyond that, I shake too much - HAHAHAHA :) but for sure, if you can spend the extra $110 or whatever on the longer barrel, it's well worth it.

I also clean mine after every range trip. Just habit, even though some people say you don't need to, I have always cleaned every weapon I have ever had after each use. My QD seems to prefer being "wet" ;) (does that make sense?) with whatever gun oil I am using when we are shooting. Again, some people find their weapon prefers to be "dry", so try it with a little bit more oil on the rails and it might function better for you. I know some people also spray a (very) light mist of oil on the ammo they use. You can see other threads about that too! Who knows until you try?

This experimentation "factor" is all part of owning a 22LR weapon. At least that's what I'm told... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree, my QD only has about 400 rounds through it so far. I won't say I soak my firearms, but I have always taken some oil on my finger rubbed down any friction areas that way. This weekend I'll go get some minimags and some blazer rounds and see how those fare. Might give these federal rounds to a friend to run through his MP15-22 (I owe him some since he let me eat up 4-5 mags worth plinking with it).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Other Options

I was using the Winchester 40grain 1435fps shells and they were fine but not sure now. I know my P22 likes the higher fps not the 1280 or 13xx. Are the CCI mini max high FPS

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
P22s require a snappy round with enough blowback energy to cycle the slide. CCI Mini Mags and Remington Golden Bullets both work fine. 1917

·
Registered
9 Posts
My bad ammo list for my 1st Gen Walther P22. So far....

Federal Auto Match 40 grn solid lead
CCI Blazer 40 grn solid lead
CCI Standard Velocity 40 grn lead round nose
Am Eagle 40 grn solid lead
Am Eagle 38 grn plated HP
Federal 36 grn plated HP bulk
Browning Performance Rimfire 40 grn lead bulk
GECO Bolt Action Rifle 40 grn solid lead

My good ammo list for my Walther P22.....

Rem Thunderbolt

Rem Golden Bullets

and this Federal ammo.

I think the common denominator may just be that the bullets need a mv of at least 1250 fps. That being said.....I'm still searching for more/different brands of cheap ammo that will work.

Aloha, Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine shoots Federal and CCI no problem. Not one jam or hiccup from my new P22 and picked up another for my wife today in blue and nickel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Remington Golden Bullets

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have no problems with the following .22 ammo:
Browning BPR 40g (Bulk Pack)
Aguila Super Extra High Velocity 40g
Federal Auto Match 40g (Bulk Pack)
CCI Stinger 32g
CCI Mini-Mag 36g

I have had problems with Remington Thunderbolt 40g bulk pack (dirty & LOTS of FTE) and just about any standard or low velocity ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just joined this forum and about to pick up my second P22. First one had issues. Okay with Federal/Remington, crappy with others. Just started stocking up on CCI minimags, stingers and velocitors. Since I have a couple 10/22's, I'll run the standard velocity out of those. Have not tested the CCI's on the P22, but will be doing it once I pick up the second one.

Has anyone polished the portion of the hammer that catches on the slide? I've sanded mine down a little and just need to polish. Going to polish the feed ramp too. Just wondering if this helped with FTE/FTF issues.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Add to the list of good ammo for my Walther P22.

This Federal Black Box ammo.

I actually bought it because it came at a cheap price and with an extra rebate too. Whatever....it works!

Aloha, Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Basically all bulk cheap .22 LR ammo will have some FTF's and FTE's out of a semi-auto pistol. I even get a occasional FTE from my 10/22 rifle and that thing runs like a clock. It's just the nature of the round. They are inconsistent in manufacturing. You have to live with it unless you buy the more expensive CCI stuff. That being said, the P22 requires high velocity ammo to cycle it. Just about any high velocity ammo will work, but some will work better than others. I have even had some boxes of exactly the same brand of ammo work better than other boxes of the identical ammo brand. Go figure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Walmart Remington Thunderbolts, 500 round box $15.

Remington Thunderbolt 500 round boxes are under $15 at Walmart right now! Not my favority ammo, dirty as heck. But it works pretty good and can't argue with 3 cents a round!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone try the highest end Lapua or Eley in their P22's?? This high end ammo does very well in target rifles. Has anyone ever checked them out in a P22??
Ive been through sk pistol match, velocitor, cci mm solid, hp, win sx. Nothing repeatable. Groups are 2'' plus at 7 yards with my p22q w/laser from a solid rest.
I have shot high end 22 ammo before in my rifles, and they are the real deal. My 10/22 loves the Elely Tenex. I won't be competing or shooting a thousand cans every weekend. I just know that sometimes great ammo can make a inexpensive firearm shoot like one that costs $$$.
My tricked out Kimber gold combat with the conversion use to groups very tight with a variety of ammo. I sold the conversion because re-zeroing the laser was a pain.

201 - 216 of 216 Posts