Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The short answer, in both cases, is yes. The range of serial numbers for the Manurhin-made PPs in .380 ACP is 12003A (May of 1954) to 78148A (November of 1985). For the PPK, the range is 100305A (June of 1955) to 266310A (October of 1985).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The short answer, in both cases, is yes. The range of serial numbers for the Manurhin-made PPs in .380 ACP is 12003A (May of 1954) to 78148A (November of 1985). For the PPK, the range is 100305A (June of 1955) to 266310A (October of 1985).
Many thanks for the information. Can't wait to get the History of... book you recommended in an earlier post. - jj

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
One more thing. Brings to thought many of the arguments I've seen online over the past year or so (since I got the fever). About how the German made guns were "better" than the French or Manurhin. I've seen some pretty intense verbal battles. By shooting experience I knew that wasn't true for sure. Once again, thanks for the information. I've already gotten a world of info from this site.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
A lot of those battles were false fronts. Many folks who were arguing that German guns were superior most likely didn't realize that they were, in fact, praising the gunsmithing skills of the folks at Manurhin. I'm of the opinion that the French guns were every bit the equal of the German-made models -- not that it matters. But I also admit that Id rather have a Walther stamp on a slide than the Manurhin banner. Go figure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
still confused

Searcher,

I know you have gone over this several times, but I'm still a little confused. I have a PP that has all the West German Ulm/DO markings and the Eagle over the N on the barrel with the numbers 74 next to it followed by an antler. Caliber is 7.65mm. The only thing that confuses me now is the Serial #. It is: 4383XX (it has six numbers, but I didn't want to display my full serial #)

So, if I understand correctly because of my serial number my pistol was made in France. However, it has the eagle and antler on the barrel. So, what does that mean? Thanks for any help.

Scott

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
UH/Scott: No need to apologize -- it's been confusing for a long time now, and it will remain confusing well into the future, no doubt. This might help however ... spend a few minutes and take a prowl through the material in this thread:

http://www.waltherforums.com/showthread.php?t=10386

It nicely explains the relationship between Walther/Germany and Manurhin/France and the hoops that the two had to jump through after the war to skirt the laws of the day. It should help to bring your gun into a little clearer focus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently traded a vintage Gibson Flying V guitar for some tools and a Walther PPK and have spent a couple hours browsing the net for information on the gun. Basically, I'd like some confirmation from someone smarter than I, on what it actually is.

The previous owner told me that it was an old PPK .380 and not being the avid collector, I assumed he was right. He gave me a few .380 auto rounds and I went home and tried to shoot it. The bullet gets stuck in the chamber. I dislodge it and notice that it's WAY too big for the barrel. So I look at it...it says "caliber 7,65 m/m" which piqued my interest and started this whole goose chase.

And here's what I've got: serial #938***, crown over top of "N" markings, a plastic (bakelite maybe?) grip in a brown/black swirl color, the barrel reads "Waffenbrik, Walther Zella-Mehlis (Thur)", "Walther's Patent Cal 7,65 m/m", "Mod PPK". There are no other markings except a "39" stamped on the inside of the grip when I removed it, on the side near the bottom where the magazine would go. The metal color is hard to describe but appears to be a mirror-finished black or really dark nickel.

I'll post some pics when I can get some decent lighting (it's night-time).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking far a little help please

I have two questions and this Forum seems like a likely resource. I have been looking to purchase a PPK/S Stainless from Interarms for a while so I have looked at several dozen weapons at different auctions / gun shows, etc.

My first question is: I recently saw a PPK/S that had a serial number stamped on the frame just aft of the trigger housing. However, this particular weapon did not have a serial number stamped just above the trigger housing on the slide like the others I have looked at. The rest of the normal Interarms - Virginia writing was in place on the slide. There were no other unusual or out of place markings on the weapon. Is this weapon just a later model or is there a fox in the hen house?

My second quesiton is one that the Forum has dealt with ad nauseum. It has to do with serial numbers and manufacturing. Yes, I know - please don't shoot me. The serial number under consideration is S054759. I have learned through research that the "S" is a prefix which indicates the weapon is stainless. However, I have not been able to locate any kind of legend which provides an indication of date of manufacture. There doesn't seem to be a date on the factory test target. Do the "stainless" weapons have their own serial numbering system? My general conclusion in my research is that someone at Walther was not very good at record keeping.

Thanks in advance for any consideration you might provide.
Dennis

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have two questions and this Forum seems like a likely resource. I have been looking to purchase a PPK/S Stainless from Interarms for a while so I have looked at several dozen weapons at different auctions / gun shows, etc.

My first question is: I recently saw a PPK/S that had a serial number stamped on the frame just aft of the trigger housing. However, this particular weapon did not have a serial number stamped just above the trigger housing on the slide like the others I have looked at. The rest of the normal Interarms - Virginia writing was in place on the slide. There were no other unusual or out of place markings on the weapon. Is this weapon just a later model or is there a fox in the hen house?
Welcome sir!

My Interarms SS PPK/S only has a S/N aft of the trigger. There is NO S/N anywhere on the slide (that I've ever seen). There is a fine, stylized "VA" stamped on the outside of the chamber, visible through the ejection port.

The S/N on mine is S0618xx and was purchased new, by me, in July, 1989. According to the manager of the gun shop where I bought it, they had just received it shortly before. You would think that the one you are asking about (S/N S054759) was manufactured somewhat earlier than that. However, if you go through this thread, it appears that some Interarms guns with lower serial numbers than mine, were possibly made several years later... Go figure:

http://waltherforums.com/showthread.php?t=10755

For instance (test target dates):
  • S046930, .380 ACP, 03/09/95
  • S094624, .380 ACP, 09/09/92

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
As has been noted, extrapolating born-on dates from serial numbers is a risky business at best because, among other vital reasons, it assumes that production was consitent from year to year -- and it was not.

The good news, of course, is that the Interarms guns are pretty doggone spiffy overall and carry the Walther banner well; you can't say that about all of the licensed copies that are out there.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the welcome Kurt_D.
I have looked at a number of PPK/S lately and this is the first one I had ever seen without the serial number being stamped on the right-hand side of the slide. I certainly don't doubt your word nor what you have seen. I just know that I'm not a collector or a Walther expert so my only knowledge comes from what I've seen first hand. Much print has been devoted to trying to share some form of standardized information regarding the Walther serial number saga. I can safely say that it's about as nailed down as tearing open a feather pillow on a windy day. Thanks for taking a moment to respond to my questions.

Dennis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Searcher451. I see your name plastered all over this Forum and you have provided quite a number of folks with information and guidance. Good for you. You are right about the difficulty with serial numbers. The more I attempt to research this topic on the web, the more convinced I become that the key to my solving this dilemma is to use a Ouija Board. Nice weapon – poor records keeping.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Walther kept meticulous records ... but then the war got in the way. The company's record-keeping thereafter has been superb once more. It's too bad that the Interarms folks didn't keep and/or share their record; that would have solved a lot of the mystery ... and saved owners of their models from a bit of misery as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems like I have spent 1000 years scrolling through pages and pages of regurgitated "The Walther pp was made in 1929 blah blah blah", when all I was ever looking for regarding proof marks and such, seems to be in this post. GREAT!

·
Registered
3 Posts
searching for information

Hello everyone, great information here. I am hoping someone can help me out. I have an Interarms Walther chambered in .380 ACP. It has no proof stamped anywhere, and a(n) \A stamped over the chamber. The serial # is 010XXX. It is also stamped made in the USA. Any information would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello everyone, great information here. I am hoping someone can help me out. I have an Interarms Walther chambered in .380 ACP. It has no proof stamped anywhere, and a(n) \A stamped over the chamber. The serial # is 010XXX. It is also stamped made in the USA. Any information would be much appreciated.
Welcome to the site.
Is it a PP / PPK / PPK/S Blued or SS?
A picture would really help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just joined this forum to find out just what this thread has to offer me on my PPK.

Well, I've sifted through this thread and I've come to this conclusion:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

A PPK with the marking on the barrel hood of 68 w/antler does in fact mean that it's "birth year" is 1968, regardless of the SN? (assuming barrel is original to the frame).

Thanks
-ppknut

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just joined this forum to find out just what this thread has to offer me on my PPK.

Well, I've sifted through this thread and I've come to this conclusion:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

A PPK with the marking on the barrel hood of 68 w/antler does in fact mean that it's "birth year" is 1968, regardless of the SN? (assuming barrel is original to the frame).

Thanks
-ppknut
Yes from my understanding that is the birth year of your weapon

41 - 60 of 161 Posts