Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
No it isn't. You can purchase it in strips also. Below is the red dot mounted to a 1/8 inch piece of Lowes aluminum. I polished it down to the correct size, drilled and threaded it for the Shield screws. Waiting on the JB Weld to harden in the center of the anti glare rail. Sand it smooth and then install the base with some gorilla glue. Then test with plenty of shooting. After I zero it, that is. 1917

Not sure what is going on with the photo. Sometimes there...sometimes not. Corona virus probably.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Melted into the slide would look great OF....but, it ain't going to happen with this slide. The base weighs 7 gms. I could drill it and lower the weight to 4 or 5 gms. 1917

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The optic above dims and brightens automatically. That feature seems to actually work. There are no brighter or dimmer buttons. The sight has to be dismounted to change the battery...but that is supposed to be a once every three years deal. The sight also comes with a 1 degree shim if needed. 1917

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There is no door on this model. This thing is small. Some small red dots have a door and some have a screw down cover on the top. Most that I have looked at including Trijicon simply have the battery under the sight. This isn't too serious as the batteries are supposed to last three to four years. On the MOS pistols there are rubber gaskets that are now used to seal the bottom of the optic from water. The one I got has the adjustment/diode sealed with a note not to remove that bottom cover.

One thing I like about this sight is that I don't have to lean my head way back in order to be able to focus on the iron sights. In fact the distant portion of my glasses gives the sharpest dot. I don't think 4 MOA is what you would want for anything but target shooting as the dot is small. For IDPA, etc. I'd go with a larger dot. 1917

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

The mounting base for this sight. 10 gms with screws. 7 gms without. Since only about 3/8" of the center will be glued to the slide I might drill additional holes along the sides to lighten it a few more grams.

The sight mounted on the base. I was trying to purchase a base but it really isn't necessary as there are no pins that the sight fits over. It simply clamps down with the two screws so the sight should be centered as close as possible before tightening down. Today I will polish the JB Weld and then glue the base down with impact resistant Gorilla glue as I did on the other slide part. That one with 15 gms of nickels glued on did not come apart during 1,000 hard hits on a steel anvil.

Other pistols offer better mounting solutions but this is all I can come up with for the P22. If the glue doesn't hold I can always drill the breech block and screw the mount down. That seems very secure also. 1917

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Years ago.....like in about 2005 I glued 43 grams of weight to a P22 slide and it still cycled fine. I just don't remember what pistol. 5" or 3.4". Anyway, hopefully at 23 gms or less and snappy ammo with cycle this. Will find out soon. 1917

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice job....looks professional.

BTW you don't have to remove the optic to replace the battery, the battery RMS, but I think you do on the RMSc.

This is the RMS. (I've got 4 of these) :D Awesome....dot is always on and the auto intensity adjustment works great.
https://www.shieldpsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/rms-instructions-2019.pdf

This is the RMSc
https://www.shieldpsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/rmsc-instructions.pdf
I assume these hold zero well and I assume you have them on large center fire pistols. Yeah, steel slide and you have all manner of options...not so with the P22 plinker. 1917

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
Yep, they're on PPQ's and I used the Shield 'low mount' on all of em'. The notch in the rear of the Shield is a little wide for my liking when used with a standard width front sight. So, I installed one of my spare 'Speed Sights' front sight, which is wider. That sight is 'Perfect' for me as it fills up the notch with just a little .... very little light on either side. I've ordered more front sights.

Carry that puppy in this.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks very good. Who is the slim guy.....know it ain't you. :eek: I won't be carrying the P22 except to the firing line and after some pesky squirrels. 1917

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

OK, finished except for zeroing. I drilled 6 more holes in the base...didn't lower the weight enough to get a lower reading. Still 10 grams with screws so I assume the whole set up is still 23 grams. Could have drilled bigger holes I guess. Next time.

The second thing I learned is that when Gorilla glue says 10 seconds....they aren't joking. So, for anyone that simply wants to glue the sight to the top of the slide make sure you mark the center as I did and practice placing it prezackly where you want it. After a few seconds the base won't move even if you try to move it.

Next I loaded up a magfull of RGBs took em out back and let em rip. The slide cycled 100% and locked open. I was aiming at the ground and didn't miss...it was close on a couple of shots. The sight is still tight.

Silencer Co got back with me saying that a tech would call regarding the fact that their system won't work on a 5" barrel with stabilizer in place. The wrench land sits under the stabilizer so there is no way to tighten it except perhaps put the nut into the silencer first, then screw it on....but the tolerances are too tight to trust that and I want to be able to remove the suppressor without removing the nut. So there is that for the next project.

That little dot sure beats trying to line up the sights. I do not like lasers for target shooting, only self defense... They show how much you shake too clearly. 1917

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

It's about the exact same width as the slide.

The base could be cut down a slight amt more...actually a lot more but the sight is 0.9" wide at the base. I'm going to look at a 1/16" piece of aluminum tomorrow and some of that carbon fiber if I can find any. The mount will get painted....I put some marker on it for these photos.

Loaded up a mag and started sighting it in at 21' offhand. You aren't supposed to do it that way. Anyway, was shooting low and to the right. Raised it up first, then left a bit too much then back to center. That last four is as good as I can shoot off hand anyway. 3/4" wide blue tape. No crosshair to aim at. Good enough for minute of squirrel. Was shooting some type of black lead CCI HP...suppressed rounds I think. They cycled fine. 1917

·
Registered
58 Posts
The mount will get painted....I put some marker on it for these photos.
You could try "Aluminum Black" which would probably work pretty good. You could turn the aluminum mount black before mounting it. Leave the bottom bare for the glue.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

You could shape the base like this and nothing would be unsupported as only the center portion of the mount is glued down and nothing important is exposed under the front of the sight anyway. 1917

·
Registered
4 Posts
have you had any time to shoot the new setup? once its said and done i'd like to know what the final components end up being and how much trouble you went through.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just lost 30 min of effort toward a reply......bah!!!!! If your log in expires while off getting photos you can lose your post. Post and edit always if a lengthy reply is necessary....how many times do i have to learn this! 1917

21 - 40 of 68 Posts