Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local gun shop has this PPK, about 80% blue, bore shiny and unpitted. Brown grips, all matching numbers including magazine. 7.65mm. He's asking $1250.
Whaddya think ? Too much ?? Bargain ??

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
You might want to head over to the P-38/PPK Forum for a few minutes and provide some additional details about this to the folks who frequent there.

http://www.p38forum.com/index.htm

If you give them the serial number, they'll give you the year it was made and a good idea of what it's worth, especially if you can supply a photo or two. A couple of the boys there are out-and-out experts -- the ones who wrote the book, in fact.

For what it's worth, I recently picked up a Walther 1941 Zella-Mehils PPK at 95% with matches across the board and uncracked, original grips for less than that. That doesn't mean that yours it's not a good buy, however. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Alot depends on if it is a war time or commercial. If it is a crown over N proof commercial I would say that price is too high. If it is a wartime eagle over N with some NDS or other Nazi marking then he is in the ball park. I wouldn't pay much over 800 for a commercial in 80 percent condition, that's is what I have seen on auctions. Maybe a little higher, I remember an ugly one at about 60 percent recently bringing 700 on the auctions. For 1200 you should be able to get a nice post war ppk.

·
Registered
729 Posts
searcher451: Omigosh! That is now, the new all time, ugliest gun I've ever seen! I'm saving that picture because a buddy and I go back and forth with hideous gun pictures. What a thing to do to a PPK!

A nice pre-war Zella-Mehlis PPK .32 (85%+) usually "sells" on GunBroker for a bit more than $800 but usually under $1100. So I think the gun you're looking at is just a bit over the usual current selling price.

I'm guessing the one you're looking at is something like this one that I own:

A 90 degree safety instead of the later 60 degree safety is more valuable. Crown over N is an earlier gun instead of the Eagle over N (post April 1, 1940). Many times, the rear of the grip is cracked right at the top. An uncracked, perfect one piece grip makes the gun more valuable. The serial number on the frame should be inscribed inside the slide. If you hold the removed slide upside down with light shining from above into the slide and then look through the ejection port, you should see the s.n. It should match the number on the frame to be sure the slide/frame is originally matched.

Do an Advanced Search on GunBroker for "ppk" under collectible firearms (instead of modern). You should find just the guns you're comparing to (instead of holsters and magazines and new S&W PPK's).

Good luck! A nice original Walther PPK like you're looking at is a wonderful collectible and a great shooter. You should be able to shoot it and then clean it without any adverse affect to its value!

-Steve

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
My local gun shop has this PPK, about 80% blue, bore shiny and unpitted. Brown grips, all matching numbers including magazine. 7.65mm. He's asking $1250.
Whaddya think ? Too much ?? Bargain ??
Condition and originality are everything. A knowledgable buyer might pay more than that for a Zella-Mehlis PPK in really nice (95% or better) original condition. But when the condition falls to 80%, the value takes a huge tumble, and in that price zone it goes begging. Clean examples aren't THAT scarce.

M

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the responses. Have been able now to look again at this.
s/n is inscribed inside slide and matches with frame as does the magazine.
s/n 325511 K, eagle proof. Grips intact.
As suggested I'm also posting this info on the P38 forum.

Appreciate every response - most helpful as usual.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Thanks all for the responses. Have been able now to look again at this.
s/n is inscribed inside slide and matches with frame as does the magazine.
s/n 325511 K, eagle proof. Grips intact.
As suggested I'm also posting this info on the P38 forum.

Appreciate every response - most helpful as usual.
For those of you haven't already done so, you might want to take a look sometime at the Walther forum that specializes in P38s and PP/PPKs:

http://www.p38forum.com/index.htm

Bhxman posted his questions there a couple of weeks ago and has received a number of knowledgable replies to his inquiry. In the same way that this forum promotes a goodly number of gentlemen who have (and are happy to share) extraordinary knowledge about the P99, the P5, and the more up-to-date versions of the PPK and PPK/S Walthers -- along with a great many other things related to Walthers in particular and firearms in general -- the folks on the other forum are experts on the early PP and PPKs and particularly on all things dealing with the P38s. A couple of regular visitors to that site, in fact, literally wrote the book on these guns.

It's an interesting place to visit if you have a secret yearn to pick up a nice P38 someday -- or, and better yet, if you already have one and want to find out the particulars. Happy lurking. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts