Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing my 1911 (government model) with a new gun. The P99, in 9mm, is at the top of my list. I’m looking to the collective wisdom of this forum for some guidance.

Regarding the “anti-stress” trigger, I see that the 1st shot is “double action” followed by “single action”. I also see that I can “cock” it by sliding back the slide & moving from DA to SA before I take the 1st shot. I have dry fired it & will shot it soon.

OK. From a safety / liabilty point of view, what is the general consensus of the benefit of this trigger as compared to the Quick Action Trigger? One of the reasons I rejected the P99 and similar pistols when I bought my 1911, was that I wanted consistent sharp trigger action every time. I am now willing to consider a DA/SA trigger.

I don’t think I’ll find a place to shot the P99 - QA, let alone dry fire it. So, I am very interested in hearing from those of you who have shot it or bought it. Pros & Cons?

I’ll be using this gun a defense weapon. The 1911 was a defense & range gun.

Also, pros & cons of the SW99 vs. the Walther P99. I understand the SW has a better warranty, but other than that, what do you think? Frankly, I would rather have Walther on the frame than S&W, but I also don’t want to lose out due to a vanity thing. I’ve heard that the SW99 - QA is LE only. I find that odd given that the P99 - QA is not.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
124 Posts
I find the fit and finish of the Walther P99 superior to the SW-99. Why go with the copy when you can get the original?

The question of the DA/SA vs. the QA has been answered numerous times on the forum. It seems to come up every other month. After getting a few answers, you might want to look back through the other posts-

Regarding the QA- It offers a consistent trigger pull akin to the Glock. Its action was created specifically with law enforcement in mind. This is a post-Glock world and a lot of agencies now require pistols to have consistent trigger pulls. It's easier to train new shooters with guns that have a consistent trigger-pull, shot to shot.

I have handled and fired P99's in both the Standard and QA configurations. Both are great guns. The SA on the Standard is a pleasure and actually a little lighter than the trigger pull of the QA. The deciding factor for me was that in addition to carrying the gun, I shoot in competitions. In competition, if the gun fires DA/SA, you cannot just cock it and fire it SA only. Your first shot has to be DA. I don't like the DA on the Standard model. It has a very long travel and a heavy trigger pull. I went with the QA and haven't looked back.

Some people are enamored with the Standard model's second strike capability. -Personally, I'd dump a round that didn't fire instead of pulling the trigger a second time, but some people want it.

From a safety and liability point of view, it is fine to carry either gun with a round in the chamber. It depends on your level of comfort with carrying the Standard already cocked. Neither model will drop fire. There is one issue regarding the decocker. On the Standard model, the decocker simply returns the gun to DA. If you go hammer down before packing up at the range, the gun will fire if a round has been (inadvertently) chambered. On the QA, the decocker actually makes it impossible for manipulation of the trigger to fire the weapon without a partial racking of the slide.

If you choose the QA, there was one person on the board who was thinking of selling his. I don't recall if he still has it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes, I've been reading the posts, lots of good info.

When you compare the QA trigger to the Glock, are simply referring to the fact that it's the same pull every time? I had a Glock & hated the feel of that trigger, very mushy to me. One of the reasons I went to the 1911.

My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that on the DA/SA you can, after you've racked a round, pull back on the slide and move it from DA to SA on the 1st round. I did do this when dry firing it, I think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jim1911 @ Mar. 04 2004,8:14)]My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that on the DA/SA you can, after you've racked a round, pull back on the slide and move it from DA to SA on the 1st round. I did do this when dry firing it, I think.
Once you've racked a round into the chamber, you're already in SA. You don't need to do a partial re-rack to get into SA. -The way to get into DA is either not to rack the slide or use the decocker to return to DA. -You can always check the striker indicator at the back of the slide. That will tell you if you are in SA on a Standard gun or if you are partially cocked in a QA.

-In competitons, Range Masters will have you decock and return to DA. Some departments mandate that DA/SA pistols are to be carried uncocked (or DA for the first shot). There are a variety reasons for this. Some of the rationale is geared to pistols of a different design. Some of it is to insure that the trigger is intentionally, deliberately pulled and not accidentally manipulated (which could set off the gun).

-When I wrote the trigger is like a Glock I was referring to the action in a generic sense. The trigger pull of the Glock is 5 1/2 lbs vs. almost 7 1/2 lbs with the QA. Mushy or relative mushiness is subjective.

From my point of view, there is minimal play/creep before you start to actually feel resistance from the spring as your trigger pull moves the striker rearward. I prefer the weight of the Glock trigger, but I prefer the feel of the QA trigger. -If only someone would make a 5 1/2 lbs trigger kit for the P99...

If you get the QA, its trigger out of the box is a little gritty. After 1000-1500 rounds it smooths out very nicely.

Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a DA/SA Sig P226 nice gun and all but due to an injury I have problems doing the shorter SA trigger. Found I had a similar problem with the P99 DA/SA. Saw the QA at a local surplus place, dry fired it, and said the proverbial Arnie statement "I'll be back." A few months later I went back after missing a gunshow and bought my QA also never looked back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the P99 in 40S&W with SA/DA trigger. I like this gun a lot. I doubt you would be disappointed with it.

The SA/DA remains in SA mode unless you purposefully put it in DA mode by decocking it. After you fire a round, it will be in SA mode again (unless it is a dud or the chamber is empty). I like the SA/DA trigger. To me it is the best of both worlds. The SA trigger is about 5Lbs I'd say and has a short, fairly crisp break. (My other pistol is a Kimber 1911, so that is my basis of reference for "crisp".) The DA pull is heavier and longer, but still has a nice break.

I hope the 9mm guys don't take this as a flame, but I would suggest taking a another look at the 40S&W if this is going to be a self defense gun. The recoil of my 40 is about the same as my buddy's XD9 (9mm), though the 40 has a tad more muzzle flip. The recoil and flip will also be less than your 1911. The 40 ammo is only slightly more expensive than 9mm ammo and is sized right between the 9mm and 45 ACP. If 10+1 is not enough ammo for you, 12 round mags should soon be readily available for the 40 with the AWB sunsetting this year. I would also pop open a box of 9mm and 40S&W ammo and compare the sizes of the rounds to each other and your 45s.

In any case, good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The XD has a small dumptruck load of recoil. The P99 in 9mm is a wimpy recoil. I fired a .38 snubbie which felt like it had a lot more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Small dumptruck load of recoil???  
 Well, this is obviously one of those relative things.  Ever fired a 44Mag revolver?  That's what I call a dumptruck load of recoil!

Jim1911, you are welcome to fire my P99 if you want to meet me at the range some time.  I'm in the Houston area.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like my QA. It is similar to the Glock because it is partially cocked. However, I find the trigger pull a little different. The QA does not have the Glock's light spongy trigger pull before you reach the break point. The QA has a heavier initial pull with more resistance. Another interesting gun, though it is more expensive, is the HK P2000 with the LEM trigger. The length of the trigger pull on the P2000 is same as a traditional DA. The pull, though long, is light and smooth. It also offers a heavy DA pull if it is not pre-cocked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS to everyone for your replies.

I went to shoot the P99 today. I really really wanted to like this gun. I also shot the HK USP Compact & the XD. Well, with out a doubt, all things equal, the XD, for me, out did both the P99 & the HK. The XD was more accurate, less felt recoil and smoother trigger action.

So, I now have a XD. Thanks one and all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (txjeep @ Mar. 05 2004,3:44)]Small dumptruck load of recoil???
Well, this is obviously one of those relative things. Ever fired a 44Mag revolver? That's what I call a dumptruck load of recoil!

Jim1911, you are welcome to fire my P99 if you want to meet me at the range some time. I'm in the Houston area.
Haven't fired a 44 mag but I have fired an AR-50.

I got used to .357 Sig rounds with my P226, the XD 9mm that I fired felt more like the P226 than my P99.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats! I do like the XD. Some poo-poo those because they are made in Croatia, but I think it is very well built. It's a nice gun with a nice trigger. Keep the slide oiled at all times and watch those fingerprints though. They rust very easily, which is about their only drawback that I know of. Check out www.hs2000talk.com for a good forum on those guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts