Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the range with my wife yesterday. :) :) She is an officer, fresh out of the acaemy and wanted to shoot her glock 27 (40 cal sub-compact, for those who don't speak glock) just to see how she likes it.

Well, her glock was a 40, my p99c is 9mm, and though she outshot me at first because I had not been to the range in about a year, that quickly changed and I was getting an 1.5 inch group at 7 yards in no time. The glock was about a 4 inch group. That could be a result of a terrible trigger, crappy frame design, and the higher calliber. But only marginally.

The important thing to note is this:
the glock 27, which is designed to take the full sized mags, needs about 3 slap and tap drills to get through a full size magazine,
And her department issue duty weapon, the 40 cal compact, glock (19 I think), had scattered failures; fail to feed, fail to eject, fail to lock back, etc.
I am pissed about this :mad: . So we are now shopping for a new duty weapon.

The Walther, well of course, not one failure of any kind. Nice tight groups, quick follow up shots, and I was able to make a 10 round, 4 in group, in about 8 second, at 7 yards. Now that is a fine piece of work. :p
Wagemage out

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If a Walther representative would show up at every graduating class of new LEO's like the Glock rep does, make a good deal and allow the LEO's to pay on time, I guarantee that if the officers were able to compare a Glock to a Walther, they would chose Walther's more than 90% of the time...the other 10 would still go with a Glock because it is easier to find duty gear and extra doodad attachments?.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wagemage,

Nice Report ! I could offer some advice that might help your wife if you wanted me to............ If you don't need the advice, stop reading ;)

It is not typical for a Glock to show that many problems on the Range, so when this happens I look for possible other causes. For what it is worth, the problems you have described often times show up with female [ and male shooters also ] shooters that "limp wrist" the pistol when firing. The stronger the caliber, the harder it is to control the firearm's "snap" during discharge.
If you limp wrist the pistol, it really screws up the handgun's cycling and causes the problems you have described.

That's why with all my female students, I require that they start their firearms training with a "strong Arm" lock out for their stance. With the trigger finger's arm locked out, it helps the shooter to better control the wicked snap of the .40 S&W cartridge. Later, as they gain more grip strength and technique........ I will transition them to more of a combat stance that would normally be used on the streets.

I offer this info. so you can make sure the weapon was at fault at the range and not just some problems with the limp wrist. Perhaps you fired Her Glock and had the same Failures to extract ??? Hope this helps ...........
If the P-99 in .40 S&W is not to her liking .............. don't forget to look at the SIG's, them seem to have a good grip for smaller hands. Usually dept.s dictate the caliber you must carry, but if this is not the case....... the SIG P-226R in 9mm is the "perfect" duty gun for females. Just my opinion :D

JF. out !

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sniper, Thanks for the pointers. I know about limp wristing; and with the sub compact it only occured with the full size mags.
Also, she actually had some really good instructors, so her grip and stances are great. As for the full size duty weapon, it was bought in 94, and has had problems even with the range instructors. So I am pretty sure it is not her. She may amplify it some, but I don't think that is what happened. Especially when she did not have any of the problems when shooting the walther either.

I would have her look at the sigs, but her department is big on the glocks. Plus we just bought her backup, and she wants her duty and backup to match (same clips etc). Plus as much as I dislike glocks, it is nice to carry what the rest of the department carries because, God forbid anything happens, the magazines are all interchangeable.

Her department allows her to carry 9mm or 40, but most carry 40, and she is just as accurate with the 40 as the 9. She also is not very small, she is an atheletic 5'11, so that may be why she handles the 40 as well as she does.

Other than that, it is a lot of fun to be able to go to the range with the wife, and have her excited to go.

Well, this seems to have run on for a quick reply, and thanks for the feedback. I will double check the limp wristing next time we go out. Just to make sure, cause I was a little shocked with her glocks performance. I may had the gun, but they do have a good rep.
TTYL
Wage out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts