Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
THANKS! for the pics.

Were there any tricks to installation - I wouldn't think so, but just curious.

I definitely want to get the 24/7 (with the rear sight you have on order).

Did you buy them locally, or order them online?

Thanks again

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Walrus for posting the link ! I couldn't get it to work right.

Autospike-- Buy right from the Supplier XSsights.com He keeps a record of the sale in case you have a problem down the road with the Tritium inserts. I went to their web site, got their toll free number and placed my order by phone---I had a few questions that needed answered.

No problems installing..........you will need a small socket to fit the front sight nut........I had one in my tool collection that would fit into the well cut into the Slide. Any tool dept. will carry it.........you may, as others have suggested have to grind the socket walls a little........I did not have to do that.

Use BLUE loctite !! on the front sight.

The rear sight simply unscrews after you push the retaining rod down. I used the grooves cut into the top of the slide as a guide to mount the rear sight dead center. It worked very well!

Good luck....

JF

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just received the rear "24-7" sight for my .40 Walther. Boy, service was fast ordering from www.Xssights.com ......it only took 4 days from order to arrival!

I have got to say these sights are great. I didn't realize how much difference having the rear sight outlined in white, would make. If your eyes are getting older, like mine, that white outline makes a fast target aquisition...even faster !

The rear sight tritium looks very bright.......maybe a bit brighter than the front Big dot that is 4 years old. I might decide to get a newer front sight
?

Installation was stupid simple........  Just push down the retaining rod and slide off the rear sight to the right ( ejection port side ) Being careful not to let the retaining rod spring away from the slide ( it is spring loaded ) Remove the adjusting screw from the old or stock rear sight by turning it clockwise ( it has lefthanded threads ). Put this screw in the new rear sight ( I screwed it flush with the rear sight side). Then pushing the retaining rod down....slide the new rear sight into the dovetail slot and let it lock (snap) onto the rod.
And you are done....except for adjusting it at the range. Using the grooves cut into the slide, you can center the rear sight pretty close.

It took about 3 minutes to make the change.......but I had done it once before.

I still say you can not find a better combat sight for this Walther. But I guess personal preference has something to do with it so YMMV.

JF

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andrespeng,
The Walther is a Standard 2001 P-99 SA/DA model. I ordered a BarSto replacement barrel with the extended and ported design ( $240 with shipping). It required a lot of work getting this new Stainless Steel barrel to function reliably, but once that was out of the way------the gun became fantastically deadly accurate. The extra barrel length, coupled with the reduced muzzle flip were big factors , I think.

All of these guns ( polymer frames) should have the Hogue slip on rubber grips IMHO. They increase your grip substantially when your hands get sweaty and at $9 it is something everyone can afford.

The XSsights 24-7 version cost around $120 for the entire kit.

The laser device was bought from Laser devices Inc. ( they now sell a smaller version( Las/Tac II) of the laser I use. I have about $300 invested in my laser and optional light head for the laser body. This laser has performed flawlessly for over 2,000 rds of hot self defense ammo. It has a 40 hour runtime with the 2 123A Lithium batteries.

So to answer your question directly...... I have about $1,000 invested in the gun, as you see it pictured.

JF

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, that is a lot money, can you tell me more about the barrel, need send your pistol to BarSto? what is a lot work you have to do make the barrel function reliably?

I live in Guatemala, if need send the pistol to BarSto that meat a lot paper work for me.........

Do you know BarSto can send barrel oversea? do they need some permision?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Andrespeng,
There is an old post I have on this forum discussing the Barsto barrel in detail and the problems I had.
Please look for that thread........about 2 months ago.

It also contains a respones from the Barsto company with their e-mail address or phone number.........so you can contact them directly to have your questions answered.

JF

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sniper350,
I've read most of your other posts, especially the one on combat training. My question is when considering using the point shooting method, is it really necessary to have the large dot or even night sights on your firearm. Since I am not in LE I am just curious?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, very good question............

If you have got the point shooting alignment down...the sights become less important to hitting targets out to the 30 foot range. But remember, even with point shooting, you will use the front sight in the background of your sight picture to the target---- to guide you.

That is where the Big Dot shines.........because it stands out so much.....you eyes automatically pick it up en route to target aquisition.

When you are fired upon.........you truly go into an automatic mode. If you have a learned habit that you body is use to using under stress.....you will implement that habit. If you are not prepared and don't have a learned response.....you can/ will appear to freeze. That is just your body and mind drawing a "blank" as to what to do under the extreme stress.

So the more natural a shooting position is and the less thinking it takes to implement---the better. Any device that helps you with sight alignment is invaluable. I haven't covered it yet, but not all shooting ( defensive) will be done standing upright. Being placed into difficult shooting positions may require MORE front sight guidence than usual. We practiced shooting from a sitting down position ( from a chair ) and also prone. So, you can easily see where one shoe doesn't fit all---and you will be glad to have those favorite sights on your weapon during those times.

JF

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sniper350/JF,
I hope these are not inane questions, but on the 24/7 sights I am fairly certain that there are NOT adjustable. So I am assuming that for most night-combat-point shooting situations, just by their very nature, adjustable rear sights are not crucial. So I should not be that concerned about their adjustability or the lack thereof, Correct?
JK STRR
P.S. Your insights are invaluable. Thank you for humoring me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JakeStarr,
              I enjoy helping others........so your questions are certainly welcomed!

The 24/7 Big Dot system IS an adjustable sight for windage!
The owner( of the company) told me the height of the front sight is carefully calculated to work on specific guns at the "combat distance" it was designed for. That's why "one size doesn't fit all " and the front sight comes in slightly different heights ( if I understood correctly his explanations)

But you are essentially correct.......at the combat distance, these sights put you in the neighborhood and are NOT designed for target shooting. You want as many rounds on center mass as quickly as possible........a couple of inches here or there is not going to make much difference to you or the BG - he is going to have a very bad day, in any event!

JF

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sniper,
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the adjustability of the 24/7...after I make a donation to keep the forum up and running, I will post another thread on pistol comparisons since I am sure you are well versed on that subject...I am off to a USPSA shoot....
JKSTRR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts