Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
My grandfather brought back a Walther PPK from WWII and I was looking for information and value for Insurance. S/N: 935956
The gun works well as it’s not been fired much since the war.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Meuselwitz at that time was a small town of a little over 11,000 in GauThüringen. The NSDAP in Meuselwitz was a local Stützpunkt, part of Kreis Altenburg. Very interesting bit of history there.

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
337 Posts
Meuselwitz was not only a small and relatively unimportant town, but also housed a small concentration camp - a subcamp of Buchwald, which produced parts for Hugo Schneider AG (HASAG) the sole producer of the Panzerfaust and the largest exploiter of female forced laborers in Germany. This camp was established in 1944 and closed in April 1945. The camp commander of the concentration camp in Meuselwitz was Walter Blume, who was sentenced to death in 1947.

Herbert Naumann researched this small KZ. For further reading you can look at his text (in German) here: Meuselwitz Frauen - Herbert Naumann

Dieter.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Such a complex history from such an unassuming weapon. One of the joys (and in this case sorrows) of collecting.

Reactions: Vandal320

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Since no one's pointed it out yet it also has the five groove, 90° safety lever and Crown/N proofs so we know it's pre-1940.

Be gentle with the grips and magazine extension. They're brittle and can crack easily.

·
Registered
577 Posts
While the history of HASAG and Aussenlager Meuselwitz is very interesting, I would not assume any connection between this pistol and the camp, as the gun dates much earlier and the local party organization would not necessarily have had any functional involvement in the camp‘s operation, which were centrally run by the SS WVHA. It was likely the weapon of a local party functionary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My grandfather never talked much about things that happened in the war. He did say that went into a place where they kept Jews to help secure it and assist. He had found a camera somewhere along the way and took a few pictures of the Jewish people in the camp both dead and alive. The pictures will break your heart. He said he took the gun off a dead German officer.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Thanks for sharing that gun with us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure, I always thought the sought after gun was the Ruger. It stayed in my grandfathers sock drawer for about 60 years as he kept it for defensive measures. I kind of always thought it wasn’t worth much with the plastic grips. But after he passed I took a closer look and saw the secret service stamp and I wondered if it might be worth more. I am planning to pass it on to my grandson one day.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
JFreeze you asked about the value of the pistol for insurance purposes. I'm wondering what the guys here might think. Do you have a $2,000 pistol, $10,000, or $25,000? I have no idea. I would think at least $2,000 but the history might make it worth more. I'd make sure your grandson knows not to sell it. A lot of young people sell firearms only to later wish they had not and by then it is long gone. It's only in the family once. 1917

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Probably made in 1936. Grips and mag extension seems to be in good shape. But needs some oil ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
JFreeze, I did a quick search on a couple sites and found a few ZM's in worse condition (assuming your barrel is OK) for a little less than $1000. A couple more that look to be in a similar condition in the $1500 range and a few really nice ones that range $2500 and above. Now, these prices are what is being asked, with no bids, not what they have sold at. My best advice is to monitor a couple of these gun auction sites and find what the market is (sold prices) for a couple pieces similar to yours.
I would also strongly suggest that you carefully remove the grips from the frame and purchase / install a set of later production grips for the time being. Those grips (if they have no chips or cracks) are nearly worth half the value of the PPK and will only increase over time. Once you have the new grips and have made certain that the pistol is in proper working order, get some ammo and take that girl out for some shooting, she's been cooped up evidently for a while. If you have not shot a 32acp before, your in for a treat and couple that with arguably one of the finest pistols made, if it doesn't bring a smile to your face, you got issues!
Skeezer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Intere
While the history of HASAG and Aussenlager Meuselwitz is very interesting, I would not assume any connection between this pistol and the camp, as the gun dates much earlier and the local party organization would not necessarily have had any functional involvement in the camp‘s operation, which were centrally run by the SS WVHA. It was likely the weapon of a local party functionary.

View attachment 93860
Gibt es noch weitere Randbemerkungen auf der/den vorheriger/en und oder folgender/en Seite(n)? Sehr interessante Pistole!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts