Walther Forums banner

WWII PP in .32 ACP; safe to shoot +P's ??

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  HerrZnk 
#1 ·
I have 2 PP's my father liberated from the Zella-Mehlis factory in 1945 when it was liberated. They are very nice guns and I've fired them a lot including some +P ammo. However, I quit doing that because it occurred to me the barrels might not be strong enough for that ammo being the guns were manufactured 70-80 years ago. Anyone have knowledge whether it is safe to shoot .32 +P ammo in these guns?

Thanks, Al

#6 ·
I wouldn't. What would be a good reason for doing so? Harsh wear and impact to the pistol and for what purpose.
I think this question from 1917 gets to the real issue. Its at least a 75 year old gun - if you want to shoot it for an occasional experience I'd recommend making that experience as easy as it can be on the old gal

#5 ·
Whatever round you use, it's still a .32 ACP, and whatever boost you get from hotting up the round isn't going to be significant on the target at the expense of higher pressure. Can't turn the .32 into a magnum and it can't be good for the pistol. I wouldn't do it. American .32 ACP isn't as hot as European ammo, or so I've heard.

#8 ·
I was given a PP that a close family friend brought back after the war. it has the RJ markings on the front strap. I sent it to Earls for a look over. he replaced the main and mag springs. The gun was in storage and left in it’s holster from 45 until last year. Resulting In severe pitting. As to your question, I have shot numerous boxes of 32 acp since acquiring it. It’s a wonderful piece of history and functions perfectly. I would not fire modern higher pressure rounds though

#18 ·
The gun was in storage and left in it’s holster from 45 until last year. Resulting In severe pitting.
I would very much like to see some pictures of this severe pitting caused by the holster. Could you post here, or PM me and we can exchange emails if that is easier?
thank you, Scott

#9 ·
jpshgt, I totally agree with your thoughts about the "historical" value of these guns. I wish I had space to tell the great story of how my Dad acquired these guns at the factory; it's a great story bt likely embellished somewhat as most war stories are. Your thoughts on the higher +P pressures is exactly why I started this thread. Al

#11 ·
I wish I had space to tell the great story of how my Dad acquired these guns at the factory; it's a great story Al
I for one would like to hear it. Are you talking WWII, Zella-Mehlis factory? You Dad was there and took part in the liberation of Walther pistols. Cliff notes at least. My Dad was overhead bombing every military target he could see through his Norden. I don't see the Walther factory in his list of targets. A load of those 500 lb bombs would have made a mess of things. 1917

#14 ·
Actually, SAAMI defines +P as above "standard" pressure for any given caliber. I would start here:
And specifically page 19 of SAAMI – Z299.3 – Centerfire Pistol & Revolver – 2015 :
Compare pressure to that advertised by your mfg.
In closing I'd say stay away from +P in general unless used sporadically in a firearm to practice with the intent of carrying a particular firearm for self-defense. Otherwise, IMHO, it's not worth the wear on ANY firearm, particularly if the firearm is of historical interest or rare.
Best of luck!

#12 ·
I don't know everything, but is someone actually marketing a +P .32 round? It does sound like a Buffalo Bore stunt, and previous posters have made it abundantly clear why it's a bad idea.
Let's not dismiss the .32; it's plenty deadly. Even Patton tried to shoot down a Heinkel with his. ;)
Moon

#13 ·
Moon, Buffalo Bore is exactly what I had in mind. It's the "hottest" .32 rnd I know of, advertised at 75 gr bullet wt, 1150 FPS, & 220 ft/lbs of energy. I have fired it in my PP though not often and can't see any visible damage to the gun. It is definitely "hotter" than European brands, S&B for examp[e, and a lot hotter than other American brands, Remington, etc.

I don't know where the "crossover" is when any ammo becomes classified as "+P". Don't believe there are any standards for .32 or any other caliber. Al

Label

#21 ·
While I have shot S&B and Fiocchi in the PP my dad brought back (aquired in Tyrolean region of Austria) and have cache of both, I still have concerns about them being hot loads for regular use in a 1943 PP.....Prefer WWB, also PMC and Blazer Brass .
OP - Congrats on acquisition. I feel blessed to have 1 PP...much less 2 !! ( tho he also brought back 2 P-38s - btw he was in the 103rd Inf Div...The Cactus Division)

#20 ·
May I ask the name of your father's unit? My reason is that my father led his company on a raid on a Walther Arms factory in Belgium (to the best of my recollection) and my father also "liberated" a Walther PP (lacking a chambered round indicator pin & lacking the block being drilled for same). The "slave labor" had been herded by the Germans out of the factory only 15 minutes before.

#22 ·
Your dad bombing the factory may not have had the desired effect.
My dad was a Master Sergeant. Army Ordnance and was one of many who took over the factory.

My dad had a knack for languages and spoke passable German. And, got on well with all the factory workers. As he said it, everybody was tired of the war by that point.

He said the first thing he did was round everybody back up and back to the factory. According to him, a lot of work was being done outside the factory. Hans was finishing hammers at his house. Johan was making triggers at his house etc. and then all the parts were assembled at the factory. So as not to lose everything of the factory was bombed.

While there, they asked him if f he wanted a gun. He said “sure” but, if n reality, he said he didn’t really give a crap. He had so much crap he had to get rid of, he didn’t care.

Anyway, just before he left, they gave him a Walther PP....
Gun Brown Firearm Trigger Gun accessory

#24 ·
My dad was a Master Sergeant. Army Ordnance and was one of many who took over the factory.

My dad had a knack for languages and spoke passable German.
I'm from Milwaukee ! Do you know where your dad went to high school ? I'm not surprised that he spoke some German. Milwaukee still had a large German population back then. There was a POW camp here and after WWII a number of former prisoners came back. I remember that even in the '90's we were deporting guys who had hidden their affiliation with the SS and been found out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.