Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my GPA Lt. Col Pachl passed almost a year ago. He left my dad All of what he kept from his tours during his 30+years in the Army. 1 item happens to be a Walther pistol that was taken from a German Officer (along with his trench coat) by my GPA. He had to give the coat to his uppers but hid the gun and brought/shipped it back. What I was told is that this pistol was a wedding gift to the Nazi Officer from his uppers and it came with a white leather case (which is now tan, BUT original). I have NO idea if that's true or not but would Love to try and track any history that may be linked to this gun.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Do you know how to properly field strip and clean the pistol? If not holler. You can also carefully remove the grips and clean/inspect under them. That is an old pistol so proceed with caution. The grips are old and probably a bit brittle but it looks like the pistol could use a good cleaning followed with a bit of oil. 1917

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Probably made in 1941. Is there a marking/stamp under the magazine release bottom? I'm unsure...

·
Registered
798 Posts
So my GPA Lt. Col Pachl passed almost a year ago. He left my dad All of what he kept from his tours during his 30+years in the Army. 1 item happens to be a Walther pistol that was taken from a German Officer (along with his trench coat) by my GPA. He had to give the coat to his uppers but hid the gun and brought/shipped it back. What I was told is that this pistol was a wedding gift to the Nazi Officer from his uppers and it came with a white leather case (which is now tan, BUT original). I have NO idea if that's true or not but would Love to try and track any history that may be linked to this gun.

Unfortunately, all that can be said about the pistol left to you is that it was a Walther commercially sold during WWII. There are no individual sales records to provide any further information on your pistol. But I am curious to see the white leather case (now tan) that you mention. Do you mean a leather holster or an an actual leather presentation case with lid? Can we see some images of it? Thank you.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
I think that story is as good as any other. It is all moot now except for sentimental reasons. Perhaps the German officer was trying to create a little sympathy, perhaps so he might be allowed to keep the pistol. It seems an odd caliber to have purchased as your personal sidearm during the war. I'd have been wanting a large caliber. Which makes a gift seem plausible. As Poloberst said, we will never know. Just be glad you have it, it is a desirable pistol. 1917

·
Registered
12 Posts
So my GPA Lt. Col Pachl passed almost a year ago. He left my dad All of what he kept from his tours during his 30+years in the Army. 1 item happens to be a Walther pistol that was taken from a German Officer (along with his trench coat) by my GPA. He had to give the coat to his uppers but hid the gun and brought/shipped it back. What I was told is that this pistol was a wedding gift to the Nazi Officer from his uppers and it came with a white leather case (which is now tan, BUT original). I have NO idea if that's true or not but would Love to try and track any history that may be linked to this gun. View attachment 93548 View attachment 93549 View attachment 93550
Best be oil rag wiping the prints off the slide. 😉

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
I should add that Maxmillian started this thread in the P22 section. His Grandfather was with a group that liberated some of the concentration camps. At that point the writing was on the wall for the Germans. Perhaps this officer was at some headquarters and handed over several things as he surrendered. 1917

I note Edwin Hubble was a part of this infantry group. He has a large telescope named after him presently looking deep into space.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Legacy posted a video of a PP that was documented to have come from an SS officer (not SS double serialed, it was a commercial gun but it was engraved) that was captured from a deceased SS officer at a concentration camp... if I remember the story, the SS officer was shot and hanging on the top of a fence...

The flip side of the discussion is... as always... buy the gun, not the story... so who knows. (see the comments on the youtube vid).

James
I should add that Maxmillan started this thread in the P22 section. His Grandfather was with a group that liberated some of the concentration camps. At that point the writing was on the wall for the Germans. Perhaps this officer was at some headquarters and handed over several things as he surrendered. 1917

I note Edwin Hubble was a part of this infantry group. He has a large telescope named after him presently looking deep into space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts