Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad just gave me a pistol (Model PP .22).
He said GPA took it off of a Nazi Officer (dont know how accurate that is) but it has an eagle on it looking to the left it looks like. Serial # 215275 P

I've tried clicking on the links given in attempts to find a serial number search but no luck, or I'm blind. Can ANYONE help point me in the right direction to see if theres ANY history on this gun??

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Welcome Maxmillian, first you are in the wrong section. This is for Walther/Umarex P22 pistols. New zinc creations out of Arnsberg, German. You have a real Walther PP pistol which is much better made and more desirable and much more valuable. We will need more info on your pistol but whatever you do....don't sell it. You will regret it greatly in the future. I would start over in the PP and TP section. That is the correct area for your pistol and where Members will see your post and have much more to say. Pre and early war pistols were from Zella Mehlis plant, Germany. This will be on the left side of the slide. Production here ended when American GI's captured the manufacturing plant in '45 and liberated all of the completed pistols and those that were still not assembled.

There is a chart around here somewhere of years of production by serial number. This is where a good photo of both sides of your pistol come in handy. The left side shows where it was manufactured and caliber. The right side shows if it was a bring back or imported (stamped with the importer's name) along with the proof stamp, serial number, etc.

My understanding is that most officers had to purchase their sidearms but it is a bit confusing to keep all of the history together. There are some real experts on this Board...both in the U.S. and Germany, Switzerland, etc. Welcome 1917

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Maxmillian, first you are in the wrong section. This is for Walther/Umarex P22 pistols. New zinc creations out of Arnsberg, German. You have a real Walther PP pistol which is much better made and more desirable and much more valuable. We will need more info on your pistol but whatever you do....don't sell it. You will regret it greatly in the future. I would start over in the PP and TPH section. That is the correct area for your pistol and where Members will see your post and have much more to say. Pre and early war pistols were from Zella Mehlis plant, Germany. This will be on the left side of the slide. Production here ended when American GI's captured the manufacturing plant in '45 and liberated all of the completed pistols and those that were still not assembled.

There is a chart around here somewhere of years of production by serial number. This is where a good photo of both sides of your pistol come in handy. The left side shows where it was manufactured and caliber. The right side shows if it was a bring back or imported (stamped with the importer's name) along with the proof stamp, serial number, etc.

My understanding is that most officers had to purchase their sidearms but it is a bit confusing to keep all of the history together. There are some real experts on this Board...both in the U.S. and Germany, Switzerland, etc. Welcome 1917
Thank you Sir, I Very much appreciate it! (sorry for posting in wrong place)
Let’s see it

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
And when you are in a section don't forget to look up at the top where the FAQ section is. There are a number of really good threads there and people forget to look up. 1917

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Eagle over N......1940 to 1945. Crown over N '29 to '40....or something like that. Someone will pop up with a link to SN by year. These pistols were originally designed in .32 caliber. Then .22 and .380 (9mm kurz). 1917

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eagle over N......1940 to 1945. Crown over N '29 to '40....or something like that. Someone will pop up with a link to SN by year. These pistols were originally designed in .32 caliber. Then .22 and .380 (9mm kurz). 1917
So the story could be true! It sounded like something straight out of "saving private Ryan" and knowing my dad.... tends to get carried away. He kept on calling it "the Wedding" gun. The Officer GPA captured was given it as a gift from his uppers as a wedding present. It still has the Original holster, although its tan instead of white now. I HAVE TONS of WW2 stuff that Gpa kept and I've NEVER seen any of it until now. He was apart of a group called the Blackhawks that helped liberate concentration camps. (sorry to ramble on but this starting to really make me want to dig deeper in who he ACTUALLY was. Other than Lt. Col Pachl.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
The internet will be your friend there. There is more and more personal information being presented due to the universal internet. There are likely groups dedicated to Blackhawk activities, bases, etc. I don't know what Blackhawk did. My Dad was a bombardier flying out of Ridgewell, England. 35 missions over Germany and vicinity. There is now a lot of information on his group now on the internet including war diaries, war photos, photos or Ridgewell, historic and present, missions, passwords of the day, day to day activities. List of missions, list of KIA, captured, etc., etc. There is also a new British Museum dedicated to the 8th AF and they have a lot of information and are actively seeking more. So you might try Googling and as you pick up info and links expand from there. Add your history to it as appropriate. 1917

Example:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts