Walther Forums banner

WW2 Authentic? Walther PP value - Expert opinion please

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  matthanne 
#1 ·
I've got a guy who wants to work this out on a trade, he's claiming this is an "army proofed" Walther PP with an estimated value of (at or around) $1,000.

From what I'm reading from you all is, that final inspection stamp makes a lot of difference in terms of value and should be on the left side of the frame near the trigger guard?

I've scoured the forums and I am lead to believe it's missing the final "proof" from the factory to be considered "proofed and in service" but wanted an expert's opinion to verify.

Frame/Slide serial number matching 386018p (ac stamped below on slide)
Eagles are stamped on frame above trigger, slide cover, and end of barrel.
NO markings on the left side. No stamp, no inscriptions.
Mags have zero markings, no letters, numbers etc. Came with 2 and this holster pictured.

Am I right to believe that this was probably sitting in the factory on the assembly line, possibly ready to get the final inspection stamp, and just never got it from 'ze germans? Probably picked up by a GI and brought home?

If it's somehow a unicorn and worth what he says, what say you all on condition? It needs a good cleaning, but I noticed the finish on the slide and frame aren't matching (probably normal), the barrel is a little sour, and possibly a bit of rust at the firing pin?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Rob

Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Glass Metal
Finger Hand Bumper Door handle
Auto part Bearing
Gun Revolver Trigger
Handgun holster Footwear Shoe Leather

See less See more
#9 ·
That’s what I meant. Sorry wasn’t sure of what that stamp was called. New to the world of walthers and these German/nazi symbols. I had kid of figured it was never issued but maybe thought the “waffenamt” was a final proof/test fire stamp. Now I know.

#11 ·
Oh ok. So basically the only thing that tells us this was produced under the nazi occupation is the ac (understand this was to throw off the allies of where it was mfg?) and the serial number that (I think) dates it to mid 1945?

Thanks for the education! I enjoy learning the history of the guns I own. Just recently started working with a guy who is an avid WW2 collector so I’ve had my hands full learning all of these guns nuances.

Gotta find some Enfield help next!

#16 ·
The P.38 and other guns made by Walther during the war were produced as military guns for the Wehrmacht and bore military code stampings instead of commercial slide legends. The PP/PPK series was not. While the bulk ended up in military holsters, they were also sold to police, party, other organizations, customers in friendly foreign countries, and sold to civilians in limited quantities. So these retained their full pre-war commercial slide stampings until close to the end. And if it says Waffenfabrik Walther on the pistol, you don’t need the Walther code ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.