Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two PPQ M2 17 round mags that I want to trade for 15 round mags. Under 100 rounds through each of them, bought new from MidwayUSA a couple of months ago and have never experienced any issues. I actually prefer the feel of the gun with the extra pinky grip for my off hand, but am going to be moving to CO and they have a 15 round capacity limit.

Hoping to trade someone straight up for their 15 round mags. Can meet if in the Kansas City area, or we each just pay the shipping from our side.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you sure? There's a 'load' limit in the rules, but it applies to the number of rounds in the magazine, not the magazine's designed capacity. The gun just has to fit in the box with the magazine inserted and make weight. (There are overall length limits for the magazine itself in some cases but the factory 17 is not an issue)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure? There's a 'load' limit in the rules, but it applies to the number of rounds in the magazine, not the magazine's designed capacity. The gun just has to fit in the box with the magazine inserted and make weight. (There are overall length limits for the magazine itself in some cases but the factory 17 is not an issue)
Yep, see statute & definition below, but if the magazine was originally designed to hold more than 15, it must be permanently altered (jb weld or similar) to not allow more than 15 rounds. The magazine body is the same from the 15 to 17, but I would have to get a spring, floorplate catch & floorplate, so trading mags was going to be the easier option. Apparently some gun stores in CO are still selling them but disassemble the mag & sell it as a kit, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

High Capacity Magazine Definition

High Capacity Magazine Statute

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep, see statute & definition below, but if the magazine was originally designed to hold more than 15, it must be permanently altered (jb weld or similar) to not allow more than 15 rounds. The magazine body is the same from the 15 to 17, but I would have to get a spring, floorplate catch & floorplate, so trading mags was going to be the easier option. Apparently some gun stores in CO are still selling them but disassemble the mag & sell it as a kit, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

High Capacity Magazine Definition

High Capacity Magazine Statute
LOL. Ah, CO as in Colorado. I shoot IDPA and USPSA - I read, "...moving to CO...", as changing from Production/Stock Service Pistol Division to "CO" - Carry Optics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are these OEM mags?
Yes, they are OEM Walther Mags.
Here's the link to where they were bought from. I've since discarded the plastic case they come in though. (One link for 10, 15 & 17 round mags, mine are 17.)

·
Read Only
147 Posts
Yes, they are OEM Walther Mags.
Here's the link to where they were bought from. I've since discarded the plastic case they come in though. (One link for 10, 15 & 17 round mags, mine are 17.)

Okay, well I'm game. I live in St. Louis, but I'm not driving to KC so how do you want to do this?

Incidentally, my 15 rd. mags are also OEM Walther mags with probably 65-80 rounds through them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not going to advocate breaking the law by importing 'illegal' magazines but I would take this piece of information into consideration, especially if using the magazines for competition/recreational shooting rather than self defense.

The magazine restriction laws are virtually unenforceable and go unenforced. Numerous gun stores and shooting ranges have high(aka standard) capacity magazines for sale in the state. There are probably a dozen+ places within the Denver metro that would happily sell you a 30 rd AR-15 magazine or 17+ round Glock mags. Many fully assembled. Some as 'parts kits'.

Keeping things above board is great. On the other hand no one is going to blink an eye at a 17 round magazine unless it's involved in a crime/self defense shooting. When you go to your local shooting range and they have a 50 round drum for sale you'll see how asinine CO's magazine restrictions are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not going to advocate breaking the law by importing 'illegal' magazines but I would take this piece of information into consideration, especially if using the magazines for competition/recreational shooting rather than self defense.

The magazine restriction laws are virtually unenforceable and go unenforced. Numerous gun stores and shooting ranges have high(aka standard) capacity magazines for sale in the state. There are probably a dozen+ places within the Denver metro that would happily sell you a 30 rd AR-15 magazine or 17+ round Glock mags. Many fully assembled. Some as 'parts kits'.

Keeping things above board is great. On the other hand no one is going to blink an eye at a 17 round magazine unless it's involved in a crime/self defense shooting. When you go to your local shooting range and they have a 50 round drum for sale you'll see how asinine CO's magazine restrictions are.
I appreciate your input and kind of had the same thought. Use will hopefully be 100% recreational, but I'd rather be safe than sorry if I do need it for self defense. My work probably wouldn't look too kindly on having any sort of firearms infractions on my record. Luckily Floyd Eye and I already have them heading each other's way.

·
Read Only
147 Posts
I appreciate your input and kind of had the same thought. Use will hopefully be 100% recreational, but I'd rather be safe than sorry if I do need it for self defense. My work probably wouldn't look too kindly on having any sort of firearms infractions on my record. Luckily Floyd Eye and I already have them heading each other's way.

I would think if you only ever loaded them ( the 17 rd. mags) with 15 you could always just say you were told they were 15 rd. mags. I don't know how familiar LEO are with Walthers, but I kinda doubt you could get into too much trouble.

Nevertheless, as you said, your 15 rd. mags should be in your hands tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Something about shall not be infringed keeps popping into my head. I'll never give up my FACTORY standard capacity magazines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts