Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTS Walther PP .32 auto in East TN. I inherited this Walther from my father in October. I know very little of this pistol's origin, other than the fact that it is fairly old. I received no information about it when I received it. I placed an add at Glocktalk.com, where my husband is a member, but met with a bunch of jerks who wanted to give me the run around. One member, however, mentioned your website was reputable and that more knowledgeable buyers would be here. I would like to sell this pistol for $400. I can either sell in person or ship to your FFL. Any input one would have about knowledge of this pistol would be more than welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It appears you have a WW2 era manufactured PP (I'd guess 1943-44 date).
There should be an Eagle over "N" proof mark on the slide and frame. If there are any Wa359 proof marks on the left side of frame/slide, this would indicate a military contarct pistol (other proof marks for other services, ie. Police).
I doubt the hard chrome finish is original, and detracts from value.
The photo is not of sufficient quality to clearly see the grips, and a photo of the left side would be helpful to prospective buyers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The proof mark on the left side of frame, behind the trigger guard, appears to be an eagle over Wa359. This would indicate the pistol was accepted by the German Army during the second world war.

The grips also appear to be period correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for the great information. It's nice to know more about this pistol. I wish I'd asked my father where he acquired it from when he was alive.

Any thoughts on what it might actually be worth? Just out of curiosity.

I'm willing to accept offers on this piece as well. I really need to sell it ASAP.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, I will offer an opinion, but I hate to be the only one offering one, and there are others here much more knowledgeable than myself (so please don't take this as Gospel).

Walther PP's don't seem to attain the same mystique as their smaller bro's (the PPK), and seem to command less of a price. Even though they are sometimes regarded as more reliable.

That being said, military accepted (proofed, as yours is) are more collectable.

The main detraction from the pistol you have is that it has not only been refinished, but chromed to boot. Therefore, it has little to zero collector value.

Post war Police PP's are currently readily available in the $250 range. And that is where I'd put the value of this pistol.

I'm not trying to get you down on your price, as I have no desire to cheat you or purchase your firearm. I already own too many Walthers.

Cheers, and good luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
FWIW:

Just an old farts perspective, but if I had inherited a genuine ww2 Walther PP from my Father you couldn't pry it out of my hands with a crowbar..

Since the refinish job has ruined any collector value anyway I should think even if "emmaspapa" isn't into guns she would keep it in the family just for sentimental reasons.  "Emma" might turn out to love guns and she might want her Grandfather's ww2 pistol, or she might have kids one day who would appreciate the history of the pistol.

It's just not worth IMO enough money to get rid of, and does have a family connection that would make it very difficult for me to ever consider selling.

Of course I'm looking at the issue from a different prospective than the person who inherited it..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts