Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a genuine threaded Walther P99 barrel, 9mm, AA date code, with thread protector, brand new in sealed plastic, never been opened. For more details please send me a message.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
We're not an auction site, so please post a price.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I was going to auction it I'd use gunbroker, so that's not my goal. People can contact me for additional information. The 'rules of engagement' do not mention that the price has to be listed, and I'd prefer not to in this venue. Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shootalot,
As you have not stated why you prefer not to post a price, unable for me to appreciate or even understand your concern. However, I will state that Extremist's point is valid.
I like, and continue to participate, in this Walther Forum primarily because of the "Up Front" format and I always look forward to how forthcoming partcipants are with information that might be of interest to others. Anything that smacks of the auction sites such as a reluctance to be up front with relevant information really does seem to detract from the forum, at least in my own opinion.  
                                                       Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments, however I am not deviating from the forum rules, hence I do not need to explain my approach. I'm sure that anyone that is interested in this item will not mind sending me a private message. Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Shootalot, the "forum rules" presume some common sense.  The forum rules also don't tell you to not shower with an electric hair dryer.  You should at least have an "asking price" so that you can respect the time of others so they know if they're in the ballpark or not.

For the rest of you, please understand that adding new rules just because in the three years we've been operating one guy "doesn't get it" shouldn't mean we have to upset the apple cart.  That's the philosophy that leads down the road to gun control - one person F's up, so now everyone has to deal with the repurcussions.

You guys have done your usual excellent job of making your point, and policing our community through social sanction. And by now, I think my view on it should be adequately clear to the person who's trying to sell his item.  I'd really prefer to not have to add more rules if we can avoid it.

We citizens already have lost the freedom that was once America because some people thought there just weren't enough rules to go around.  Let's not replicate that fatally flawed philosophy here, if we can avoid it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Administrator, I'm sorry that I've disappointed you. I do 'get' the points that others are trying to make, but for my own reasons, I prefer not to list the price. I read the forum rules before making my post, and believed that I was within the requirements to post as I did. The funny thing is that all of you spent the most time whining about it, when none of you are even interested in the part. So just like big government, you all feel the need to make me do this a certain way. I find this particularly amusing because none of you even want to buy the part from me. And on top of that, you had to belittle me. Thanks, that's much appreciated. And here it was not long back, you were begging for support from the forum users so this place could stay afloat. What's not to get about this deal? Only serious people will spend the time to message me to get a price, because they are interested in the part. I tell them the price, if they want to pay less, we chat about it and bargain privately. That is the way I prefer to do my business transactions. But that's not good enough for you, and you have to taunt me about it and try to make me look foolish, when all I'm doing is following the rules anyways. If you want everyone to post a price in their listings, then make it a requirement. Did someone message you and complain that I listed no price? If they cared at all, they could have messaged me and aske for the price. You know, for wanting more people to get this site used more, you all have a strange knack for bullying people into leaving it. You remind me of a cop that gives tickets for speeding 1mph over the limit. LOL, you all must be part of the Forum-Post-Gestapo. Yeah, I'll bet you delete this post. How's that for free speech? If you do delete it, you might as well delete my account, because this is one lame argument, when all I'm trying to do is sell some surplus parts.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
shootalot, I was not trying to get personal with you on your ad, and I'm certainly not trying to infringe on any of your rights. You may conduct your business as you wish. The purpose of posting an ad with a price and location is to help the seller and buyer not waste each other's time. To each his own.

I personally like the way HKPRO, PCT, TFL, THR and AR15 do their equipment postings, but if the Admin here chooses not to require that you post a price or state, so be it. If I were in charge that rule would be in place.

I don't see however where anyone "belittled" you, or tried to make you look foolish, or "bullied" you. You are certainly welcome here, and welcome to conduct your business as you please. Good luck and good selling.

Don't be under the impression though that this WaltherForums board would have closed due to lack of funding. If the Admin had not secured funds to continue, I was fully prepared to continue this board on my OWN FIOS based web server at any time.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
555 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I read the forum rules before making my post, and believed that I was within the requirements to post as I did.
And kindly note that I didn't delete your post, as I understand that it was an honest oversight in judgment.  No big deal, but that's as far as it goes.  However, the rest of your post is absurd.  Let me disabuse you of your patently incorrect notions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So just like big government, you all feel the need to make me do this a certain way.
Unlike big government, we DON'T have too many rules, and if you weren't so busy promoting your own ego, you'd accept the very valid point being made that we don't want a free classified ad section to be turned into an auction site.  If you want to insist on "how you prefer to do business", then I equally have a right to insist on what I permit on this site.  Furthermore, again unlike big government, this is a private forum where I set the standard of behavior because it's a private concern.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And here it was not long back, you were begging for support from the forum users so this place could stay afloat.
And you contributed how much, exactly, that gives you the right to pontificate?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You know, for wanting more people to get this site used more, you all have a strange knack for bullying people into leaving it.
Apparrently it escaped your observation that WaltherForums has grown by leaps and bounds because we DON'T have too many rules, or have deal with childish nonsense like this.  We're not shrinking members, we're growing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yeah, I'll bet you delete this post.  How's that for free speech?
Our first amendment rights to free speech do not pertain to private venues, where the owner can set the standard of conduct, can enforce his own rules and sanction whom he wishes.  But with free speech comes also the responsibility to know when to keep your mouth shut, and cut your losses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have far too much time to waste on this, so I'm not arguing with you anymore. Anyways if you want a price, then here it is:

The barrel is for sale for $1 + shipping. Send me a message to find out how much shipping is.

Fuel prices have been going up, so I want to be sure to give a current quote.

If you aren't happy now......I don't care. Cut my losses? I haven't lost anything but the time it takes to read your rants....and post a witty response.

·
Registered
112 Posts
shootalot,
Up until your most recent post, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you were a good person that was just not taking the time to fully think through some of the perspectives that others were trying to share with you. Your most recent post is concerning as it indicates a childish attitude as well as narrowmindedness and lack of consideration for others and is not at all consistent with the theme of the forum. Hopefully, you are really not like that and you are just overreacting in a manner that is projecting that poor image. If you are not so angry and upset and are able to read and think objectively and try to appreciate the views of others, I would suggest that you take a few deep relaxing breaths and read through this complete thread from the beginning and try to look at the issue from the perspective not of someone that is just trying to sell an item, but from the perspective of people with a common interest trying to communicate and SHARE information without the selling / personal gain agenda being the dominant factor.
Certainly by now you realize that what you were doing was not a small issue but rather a large one, and while it still may seem like a small issue to you, the reality is that some of us would like to think that the forum is a place where we can share information purely in the interest of doing the good deed of sharing information with others that have a common interest and enjoy the OPEN manner in which issues are discussed. While obviously you did not initially realize how much your approach violated that concept, and I can understand that, given the proliferation of auction sites, would hope by now you might at least have some doubts about the position you assumed on THIS site. And again, since you appear to be so upset that it is difficult seeing things from other perspectives, try to apprecate that the reason you are seeing such responses from the administrator is that he/she is someone that has contributed a great deal of time and effort to this forum and none of us like to have someone destroy something that we have devoted a lot of ourselves to and believe is something good. Again, just try to appreciate that your vantage point or perspective may not be the only one and sometimes may not be the correct one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh it WAS funny. Trust me. And I wouldn't say that I'm childish, just not taking this as serious as some of you do. And I DO understand your points, I just choose not to implement your suggestions.

And I'm not going to change my mind. So can we stop talking about it? By the way that was a well written post. Very eloquent. C'mon people you have better things to do!! Now get out there and DO them!!

But to make you all happy, I have decided NOT to post any other walther items for sale here in the manner that you so dislike.

·
Registered
525 Posts
For what its worth, I read the subject line and thought ooooo I need one of those, but then I've read the text. I don't go to the hassle of contacting someone to see what they want, I just move on. The rest of the text convinced me I wasn't interested anyway, you're selling, you want money for it, its no secret. I doubt I'm the only one that does that either, just something to consider next time you place an ad somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's funny in the time it took you to post, you would've know what the price was.
No matter, I've only got a few of them left and they're almost all sold now.

You're exactly the 'buyer' I'd like to avoid. Someone that 'thinks' they want one. The people that really want one (not the just one ones that think they're cool) actually do contact me and we make a deal. The types like you just end up wasting my time.

I should get an award for starting the 'most viewed thread'. Anyone know of a thread in here that has more replies/viewings? KEEP IT ALIVE!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shootalot @ Sep. 20 2005,00:24)]I should get an award for starting the 'most viewed thread'.  Anyone know of a thread in here that has more replies/viewings?  KEEP IT ALIVE!!
No, you're not going to get an award for the most views. But you do get the award for being the biggest jerk. As of now, this thread is locked.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thread locked. There's nothing to see here. Move along.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.