Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parts collection has grown once again to the point where I can resurrect and bring back into serviceable condition a West German made PPK or PPK/S as well as a US made Interarms PPK or PPK/S. If you have a "parts" or stripped frame that has been collecting dust or that was originally purchased as a project gun but never realized, I am interested. Price will vary depending on if the frame is stripped or if the barrel or any additional parts come with it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'll be curious to see what kind of offers come your way.

Also, what kind of prices would you consider reasonable for a lower with and without a barrel? Also, are you looking for a .32 or .380 barrel? I would only ever want a .32, so if someone had a lower with a .380 barrel it wouldn't be worth extra to me.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All of the extra parts that I currently have are for .380 models. Since I shoot .40, firing a .380 feels like nothing to me.

As far as offers go, none so far (as I expected) since I usually only see 1 or 2 frames for sale per year on the open market. Just figured I'd cast as wide a net as possible. I paid 160 shipped for my last bare frame, so something in that range is acceptable to me. A refurbished PPK goes for for $400 or less, so I'm not looking to pay premium prices for a parts gun. I've been happy with the few that I have brought back to life so far. I have a thread on my works buried several pages back in the forum if you are curious.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Educate me a little bit ... I thought a PPK/s frame was the same as a PP frame.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I went back and re-read your previous thread. Are you only working on .380’s or do you have a .32 you’re working on as well?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Currently, only .380's. Not many .32 parts are readily available. If I happen to collect sufficient .32 parts in the future to yield a decent restoration, I'll post the ad in the future. The one .32 frame that I had intended to work on in the thread was unfortunately compromised structurally.

Regarding PPK/S frames, yes they are technically PP frames, however the majority of PP frames are chambered in .32. The barrel hood will not accommodate a .380 barrel. Also the PPK and PPK/S frames are machined differently between the Ulm and Interarms models, making specifics a necessity so as to insure that proper slides and parts are matched to produce a smooth operating restoration.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
In theory all Ranger PPK/s frames will accommodate any slide or barrel in any caliber that will fit any postwar Manurhin or Walther PP or PPK/s frame, if all were manufactured within factory-specified dimensions. This was a design requirement for Ranger production. I cannot say if the foregoing applies to PPK/s frames made by S&W, or to any made by or for Walther afterward.

Grips aside, the same is true of Model PPK frames. The investment-cast frame of Ranger PPK requires minor alteration to the inletting of earlier grips.

In all cases mechanical function and cosmetic fit will depend, of course, on the precise dimensions of individual parts. Some degree of hand-fitting has always been involved in the assembly of PP-series pistols.

M

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can say for a fact that Ulm/Manurhin slides do not fit on the Interarms frames and vice versa because of the machining done at the front of the slide (bull nose and rounded looks). Perhaps they could if further machining was done but I like to keep my rebuilds as close to factory standards as possible. I really wish that I had done some slide testing with the S&W PPK before I got rid of it so I could post a definitive answer to all of the compatability questions.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I can say for a fact that Ulm/Manurhin slides do not fit on the Interarms frames and vice versa because of the machining done at the front of the slide (bull nose and rounded looks). ...
Please read what I wrote more carefully.

I said the Interarms frame would accommodate any PP-series slide or barrel, and it will. I did not say that this would be true if the Interarms frame still had the original barrel installed. The .380 barrel has a larger OD at the muzzle than Manurhin/Walther .32 or .22 barrels, and the European slides in those calibers have a correspondingly smaller hole at the muzzle. Unaltered, a European .32 slide can be used only for a .32. However, European .380 barrels and slides are the same size as Ranger .380s and will fit just fine.

The ID of the barrel boss on the frame is identical for all three calibers.

M

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to have to amend my previous statements and agree with you. In all of my tests, I haven't been able to get Interarms and Ulm slides and frames to mix. I broke out a batch of extra slides and a few PPK's and began mixing and matching again. One Interarms slide will fit on one of my Ulm PPK frames and function correctly. The Ulm slide will not quite fit on the Interarms frame though. Some machining would need to be done to allow for proper seating. I think this has to do with the final fitting process and that each was unique to the frame that it was being fit to.

So will all slides fit? Yes would be the correct answer, however getting it to fit right off the bat would be a gamble and some machining may need to be done. Does that sound like a fair analysis to advise future questions posted on the issue?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Watcher, let me try to answer this way:

Whether you start out with a stripped frame made by Manurhin, Walther or Ranger is, in my view, practically irrelevant.

The adaptability of the remaining components --slide, barrel, etc.-- depends on two decisions you need to make beforehand.

The first decision is caliber: Since nearly all Ranger PPK/s and PPK production was in .380, using a Ranger slide will be limited to that caliber. That slide won't work on .32 pistols unless a larger OD .32 barrel is installed (which is what Ranger did for the few .32s it made). Nor will it work on .22 because you'll need a rimfire breech face.

So if you want to build a .32, you're pretty much limited to .32 slides. And if you want to build a .22 (which is the only conversion that makes sense to me), you need a .22 slide.

The second decision is barrel length. You can mount a PPK/s or PPK slide (they're identical in the same caliber) on any stripped PP frame, but you'll need the longer PP-length barrel if you want to use a PP slide.

After that, it's all a matter of fitting. The biggest problem with Ranger frames and slides is that Ranger had a very difficult time holding tolerances, and there is a consequent lack of uniformity. They were designed to be interchangeable with Manurhin/Walther, but in practice often are not, not even with each other.

M

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate your time and info, just to clarify, I did not have any confusion about .32 slides and .380 slides being matched with the correct barrels for builds or the difference in barrel lengths. My confusion came in regarding pairing of .380 slides to frames from from different productions from Ulm and Interarms. Until last night, I did not think that the slides were interchangeable because I could never get one to fit properly, but now I see that it is just a matter of machining to get them to seat properly (something that I have no interest in tinkering with and will leave to a trained smith to preform ).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts