Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, I'm a bonehead, and snapped my cocking piece on my 1968 Walther PP in 380. I did not provide enough support while driving the pin out.

Unlucky for me, I suspect this is a common phenomenon, because noone has this part, that I can see. Numrich is out, even eBay has just about every other part, but not this one.

No cocking pieces! Help! Where can I buy this? I would hate to have a parts gun because of one small component....

Thank you for the help!

(I see this is my first post. Long time lurker, first time poster, big fan of the PP and PPK, this one is my second, I like it, but it's hard to shoot without a cocking piece!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Earl had it. Thank you! Double the cost of what I see “similar” parts go for (PP Super on ebay, etc), and triple what Numrich lists it for. And I don’t care. They had it, and I know for 100% sure it’s the right part for the right era pistol! I will consider it an idiot tax on my part for not driving the pin out correctly.

They even asked if I needed the pins to hold it in and if I wanted extra mags. Very nice business.

Thanks to Earl’s, and thank you too

·
Registered
842 Posts
Why were you attempting to remove the cocking piece anyway?
The pins are a tight press fit in the part and not normally removed for cleaning or maintenance.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Earl had it. Thank you! Double the cost of what I see “similar” parts go for (PP Super on ebay, etc), and triple what Numrich lists it for. And I don’t care. They had it, and I know for 100% sure it’s the right part for the right era pistol! I will consider it an idiot tax on my part for not driving the pin out correctly.

They even asked if I needed the pins to hold it in and if I wanted extra mags. Very nice business.

Earl isn't the cheapest but it saves time scouring websites trying to find what you need.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Cocking piece pin,

I have to agree with ViperR on this one. Certain areas in the PP pistols are off limits to me. I have a lot of experience in handgun repair, but stop when I get to the line where warning lights start flashing. To go that deep requires more expertise then I have.

The first "detailed strip" of a Walther convinced me not to go that far. Gunsmiths love to work on guns, not on a box of parts that someone brings in. Just my 2 cents.

Duncan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why were you attempting to remove the cocking piece anyway?
The pins are a tight press fit in the part and not normally removed for cleaning or maintenance.
Trigger job. My PP came with a gritty trigger. And I don’t like using lighter springs. I set up all my revolvers with extra-power hammer springs and polish every mating surface until they are butter smooth.

So the goal was to get to every pivoting surface for polishing, and check the engagement surfaces between the hammer and cocking piece. I will be using factory power springs only. I just want the DA pull to be smooth.

Unfortunately the youtube video that shows the complete disassembly of the PP shows the pins just popping out like its no big deal. I had no idea they were supposed to be so tight.

Thus the bonehead tax I (the bonehead) have to pay.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Trigger job

I know PP Series have a long, heavy and sometimes gritty trigger In DA. The easiest fix is to manually clock the hammer. At the range it is not a problem. In a self defense situation you will never feel it.

People have been trying for years to make the Walther trigger lighter and smoother in DA. Even a good Walther smith can't cure it completely. It's the nature of the beast.

Also, don't trust youtube for everything. Gunsmith go through a long education on the firearms they work on, sometimes for years. In the past people worked for years as an apprentice before being qualified. A youtuberr needs a good camera and an audience. There is no certification for them and do we really know if there "complete stripped" weapon works after the camera goes off.

Duncan

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

Unfortunately the youtube video that shows the complete disassembly of the PP shows the pins just popping out like its no big deal. I had no idea they were supposed to be so tight.

Thus the bonehead tax I (the bonehead) have to pay.
If you do not properly support the frame when you install the pins, you'll have a much larger bonehead tax bill to pay.

M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you do not properly support the frame when you install the pins, you'll have a much larger bonehead tax bill to pay.

M
Indeed I will, thank you for the warning!

And thanks guys for the tips on the past experience of others. It's already loads better, but obviously I'm not feeling it with the cocking piece and hammer in the loop yet. I have high hopes, but I'll keep it tempered thanks to your warnings. If it's not exactly perfect after I'm done, I won't go doing it all over again in the pursuit of improvement.

I still believe it will be loads better when I'm finished. I don't mind the weight (in fact I want it on the heavier side), just looking for smoother.

I will keep soaking up any more advice for sure. I need to have a follow-on discussion about the extractor after all this is sorted out (and firing again), so it's a good foundation here to build on.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
When all was said and done, how much did it cost --all in--to put a new cocking piece from Earl's in your mailbox?

M

·
Registered
601 Posts
MGMike, I wondered the same

·
Registered
186 Posts

You'll get the part in a couple of days. Earl is quick on shipping and is the best source I know of for factory parks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When all was said and done, how much did it cost --all in--to put a new cocking piece from Earl's in your mailbox?

M
$115. Steep, but the opinions of others here say it all. Lesson learned, and I’ll still get it running like a top at the end of the day.

Numrich charges i think $38, when they have stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
$115. Steep, but the opinions of others here say it all. Lesson learned, and I’ll still get it running like a top at the end of the day.

Numrich charges i think $38, when they have stock.
Numrich's prices can be a bit deceiving, since they list many parts they haven't had in stock for years. Here's another example of a scarce part at a bargain price: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1146660

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unless the Radom's recoil spring guide is broken, there's no reason to replace the assembly. Just take it apart and replace the springs.

M
You can. It's just another example of a part that's quite expensive, but listed by Numrich at a bargain price. My point is that you shouldn't hold your breath when you find a cheap part listed as "out of stock" on Numrich's web site. Sometimes it will take years for it to be back in stock, sometimes it won't happen at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts