Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting correctly. I have been intrigued with Walther since I was a kid watching my first James Bond movie, sound familiar? I recently received the green light from my wife to purchase a handgun. She has always been opposed to firearms, but with the recent crazy events this country is facing, she feels we need some protection. Unfortunately, I live in Liberalville USA (California) and if you know the unconstitutional laws us law abiding citizens are subjected to here, then you know buying a firearm is almost impossible. Therefore, I am reaching out to this forum for any help anyone can provide me.

I have seen several models for sale in the State, however, most are from gougers asking double, if not triple the price. Other offers from reasonable sellers are sold almost as quickly as they are posted. I don't have a problem paying a fair price, however, I am not so desperate that I am willing to pay three times the original cost.

I am very interested in a PPQ, either generation, 4" barrel, but certainly would consider a P99 or other model. If anyone has anything for sale (9mm, .45 or .40 cal), at a reasonable price, PLEASE contact me. I live in Orange County but willing to travel to meet the seller at a FFL convenient to you.

Any advice is extremely welcome and encouraged.

Thank you,
John

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
If you go for a PPQ you would have to get the 10 round magazines, since you don't live in one of the free states unfortunately. Have you thought about the PPS M2? The PPS is a great little conceal carry pistol and under ten rounds. I have a PPQ for sale on the Trade Post/Parts Bin section of this forum, however I only have 15-round magazines. Have you thought about the PPQ Subcompact? I have never owned one of those, but I've heard good things about them. I don't know what all is California compliant. Does California have a list of what is permitted?

·
Registered
835 Posts
JDW14
Welcome.
California has many restrictions. There is the handgun roster of handguns available by FFL. Unfortunately Walthers are PPQ PPS are not. That means you would need to locate and buy a used one. Used ones are very high prices and may not always be available.
There are also magazine capacity limits to 10 rounds.
Consider finding a local gun store that you could discuss what you need to do to buy a handgun.
There is a good one be forum for California gun owners it is
calguns.net. I recommend going there and you will find more current information.
For a first time purchase take a look at the roster and see what is current.
Smith and Wesson M&P Shield California version is on the roster. Glock Austrian gen 3 . H&K USPs and P2000. There are some others but I mentioned these for consideration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you go for a PPQ you would have to get the 10 round magazines, since you don't live in one of the free states unfortunately. Have you thought about the PPS M2? The PPS is a great little conceal carry pistol and under ten rounds. I have a PPQ for sale on the Trade Post/Parts Bin section of this forum, however I only have 15-round magazines. Have you thought about the PPQ Subcompact? I have never owned one of those, but I've heard good things about them. I don't know what all is California compliant. Does California have a list of what is permitted?
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. Yes, CA has a "roster" with approved firearms for sale, however, the only Walther on the list is a P1 and various versions of the P22s. I do know Californians can buy other models if they are private party sales. Someone told me about Calguns.net which are in state sales. There are a few Walthers for sale on that forum, however, PPQs are going for over $1,000 and some even $1,600. Some are selling for reasonable prices, $700, but they get sold as soon as they are posted. I was hoping I can find a CA seller on this forum who isn't out to gouge us newbees. I would consider other models as well, I am very interested to join the family, if I can find a decent deal.

Thank you very much for your reply! I really appreciate this and your advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JDW14
Welcome.
California has many restrictions. There is the handgun roster of handguns available by FFL. Unfortunately Walthers are PPQ PPS are not. That means you would need to locate and buy a used one. Used ones are very high prices and may not always be available.
There are also magazine capacity limits to 10 rounds.
Consider finding a local gun store that you could discuss what you need to do to buy a handgun.
There is a good one be forum for California gun owners it is
calguns.net. I recommend going there and you will find more current information.
For a first time purchase take a look at the roster and see what is current.
Smith and Wesson M&P Shield California version is on the roster. Glock Austrian gen 3 . H&K USPs and P2000. There are some others but I mentioned these for consideration.

Thank you for the welcome to this forum. Someone did tell me about Calguns and I've been searching almost ever spare moment. As you mentioned, anything that is up for sale is going for a huge premium and those that are reasonably priced are sold as soon as they are posted. I was hoping I could find someone in this forum who is from CA and would have mercy on a newbee like me. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.
I have also been given the same advice regarding the S&W and Glock. I may have to go in that direction as there seems to be more of these for sale, but I feel I have to exhaust all resources for my dream gun before I go in that direction.

Thank you very much for the reply and advice! I really appreciate your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts