Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a favor to a colleague, tried to get a replacement cylinder yoke screw for his Rossi revolver. Tried Numrich and Brownells, and finally tried to get one from Taurus.
For the past 18 months, I've tried, repeatedly, to contact them via E-mail and telephone. The E-mails were ignored and the phone was either busy or playing elevator music.
Finally, got thru' on E-mail, but was told they couldn't take orders online...but I was told they had the part.
Hours of elevator music later, I got thru' to a very polite young lady, who said the part was not available, and I should call back in a couple months.

The gun is useless without the screw (the yoke falls out), unobtainable anywhere, and Taurus doesn't care.
Really lousy service, and a caveat to anyone considering buying their products.
Moon

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Hey Moon,

My local hardware store sells bolts, etc. in bins and boxes, and they also have a selection of gun screws. You have any old-school hardware stores like that around you?

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I don't see any handguns on the Rossi website so it doesn't surprise me that they don't support them anymore. Is it similar enough to a S&W or Ruger that the part might be compatible ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I only have one Taurus handgun. It was absolutely crap out the box. It literally sheared a 2 inch~ long sliver of metal off the barrel the first time I fired it due to such poor fitting of the parts. It also had the biggest divot/imperfection in the feed ramp. It literally cut up the cases of some ammo.

I've heard nightmares about their customer service so I decided to just handle the issue myself. I eventually got it running well but somewhere in the 1500-2000ish round count the thing started acting up again. I decided that it wasn't worth the price of the ammo it took to function test the thing and bought a Beretta instead.

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.
Gonzo, good thot', and been there, done that. We have a superb local hardware with all sorts of doofus screws, and none would fit.
Redcat, I believe that they market all of their revos as Taurus now, and the Rossi name remains on long guns. Frankly, have a couple Rossi rifles (R92 and a '06 .22) that I like a lot. Did try a Smith screw, nothing doing.
Hippo, the owner of the revo seemed pretty happy with it, but the inability to get a lousy screw is just absurd. I'd buy Rossi longarms, but would be mighty skeptical about buying a revo.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly was the original problem ? Did it fall out and get lost or was the screw damaged somehow ?
The screw must have backed out and was lost while shooting.
Another buddy lost a grip screw from his Tomcat, he simply called Beretta and they sent him one.
Moon

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hippo, the owner of the revo seemed pretty happy with it, but the inability to get a lousy screw is just absurd. I'd buy Rossi longarms, but would be mighty skeptical about buying a revo.
Moon
To be fair, once I got the kinks worked out my little Taurus TCP is was an undeniably awesome gun (until the kinks showed back up). I loved the partially cocked DA trigger pull. Very smooth and relatively light. Made it very easy and accurate to shoot, relative for its size.

I'm not sure it's the designs that are bad. If you get 'a good one' I'm sure they're mighty fine pistols. The problem is the sometimes shoddy manufacturing, non-existent quality control and then spotty follow up by the customer service department.

You may be interested in this e-mail sent from the Taurus CEO last April (2020).

To Our Customers,

As the new President and CEO of the Taurus companies here in the U.S.A., I want to address an issue our companies are currently facing and reassure you of the efforts going into improving our customer service.

It became very apparent to me that we are not meeting our goal to provide world-class customer service to those of you who have put your trust in our products. My intention is to fix that, so if the situation does come up where you must utilize one of our firearm’s warranty, that we take care of you in a way that leaves a lasting positive impression about our companies.

That said, I am pleased to report that despite some business disruption caused by the relocation of our corporate headquarters and operational facilities from Florida to Georgia at the start of this year, the move has been an all-around success and positive development for our companies. We are all facing new challenges with the effects of COVID-19, but I want you to know that the Taurus companies are working harder than ever to address your customer service concerns. Our teams are currently working nights and weekends to reduce the long backorder in the repair segments of our companies. Current lead times are ranging from 4-6 months and increases by extremely long wait times in our phone systems. This situation is not up to the high standards we set for ourselves, and quite frankly, our customers deserve much better.

We have implemented many new measures to address these issues. Here are some of them:
  • Additional manpower to our customer service, gunsmithing, and shipping teams
  • Additional training has been implemented to improve our ability to help consumers resolve product issues promptly
  • Commonly requested parts will be made available on our website, at a reasonable price
  • Additional shipping terminals dedicated to repair and web store orders

These measures have been put in place to enhance our customer experience and to give our customer service agents more tools to help our customers. It will take some time to get our warranty repair service where we want it to be, but we have a solid plan to get us there. We still have a lot of work ahead of us and are dedicated to correcting these issues as quickly as possible.

I want to thank all of you for your patience personally, and please know that I have heard the complaints loud and clear. Our companies are dedicated to offering industry-leading customer service, and we will have these issues fixed very soon.

Sincerely,

Bret Vorhees
President and CEO of Taurus Holdings, Inc.

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'Hippo, thnx. It appears that their administration is aware that they have a problem.
And, in that vein, had a phone call at 0904 from Taurus; lo and behold, now they HAD the screw, and would be happy to ship it. They still charged me $15 (S&W would have sent me the screw, free, 18 months ago), but at least it's coming.
As always, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, however belatedly.
Oddly, two Rossi longarms (an R92 .45 Colt and '06 .22 pump) are among my favorite guns, and forum member Action Express has expressed happiness with a TX-22.
Thanks for listening, gang. :)
Moon
ETA- I'm assuming the right screw will actually show up... ;)
M

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I bought a 856 recently (.38 snubby), put in a reduced power spring set, and keep it in the scooter’s glove box, strictly as a paperweight to keep the registration documents from shifting around, Officer. Good quality and performance, better than I expected given what I paid for the thing.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
To be fair, once I got the kinks worked out my little Taurus TCP is was an undeniably awesome gun (until the kinks showed back up). I loved the partially cocked DA trigger pull. Very smooth and relatively light. Made it very easy and accurate to shoot, relative for its size.

I'm not sure it's the designs that are bad. If you get 'a good one' I'm sure they're mighty fine pistols. The problem is the sometimes shoddy manufacturing, non-existent quality control and then spotty follow up by the customer service department.

You may be interested in this e-mail sent from the Taurus CEO last April (2020).
Is that Bret Vorhees, ex of Walther?

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
'Geezer, I've tinkered with a Rossi or two; seem to recall the trigger spring being captured on a rod, rather than the Smith rebound slide setup.
A buddy has a 9mm version that he likes.
Love your rationale for keeping the revo' in the scooter. :)
Moon

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
'Geezer, I've tinkered with a Rossi or two; seem to recall the trigger spring being captured on a rod, rather than the Smith rebound slide setup.
The 856 has a captured spring but a hole in the rod to help with takedown and replacement. It was as fast ans any I’ve ever encountered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts