Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe it's just the old fart in me but I don't need a FE Walther at a fair price, much less that the $800 price gouging as advertised..

The FE's (sorry if you already have one) are "prone" to be more problemmatic as any first run of anything might be.

The FE's finish is apparently flaking off, it's a known problem, and sooner or later you'd have an all black one anyway.

I'll just sit back and wait until the supply increases, the prices stablize at a what I consider a reasonable price (And I don't think $579 is out of line too much) and buy one.

For anyone who might have more money than I (probably 99% of you) and you need a flaking FE @ $800.00, I'm glad one is waiting for you. :D

My Walther P99c/AS will hold me just fine until then.;)

JMOFO

J.Pomeroy

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Maybe it's just the old fart in me but I don't need a FE Walther at a fair price, much less that the $800 price gouging as advertised..

The FE's (sorry if you already have one) are "prone" to be more problemmatic as any first run of anything might be.

The FE's finish is apparently flaking off, it's a known problem, and sooner or later you'd have an all black one anyway.

I'll just sit back and wait until the supply increases, the prices stablize at a what I consider a reasonable price (And I don't think $579 is out of line too much) and buy one.

For anyone who might have more money than I (probably 99% of you) and you need a flaking FE @ $800.00, I'm glad one is waiting for you. :D

My Walther P99c/AS will hold me just fine until then.;)

JMOFO

J.Pomeroy
That's a fair observation on all points, PX15, though I wonder if the same logic could be applied, say, 50 years down the road when your son or daughter pulls your NIB PPS FE out of the gun safe and lists it on the equivalent of Gunsamerica for ... who knows how much more than today's $575 or even $800 asking price? Don't you wish you had bought that NIB PPK or PP or P5 or whatever 15 years ago or 20 years ago or 25 years ago for the then outrageous price of ... what? an eighth of what it's worth today? And in the meantime, of course, you'd have the pleasure of owning a quality firearm through the intervening years, knowing that its value will always climb.

I had a chance to buy a P38 about 20 years ago for $275. It was as close to perfect as I'd ever seen one, a vet bring-back with no pitting, no rust, no import marks, no imperfections of any kind beyond what you'd expect from routine handling through a world war. I passed, thinking then that $275 was an absolutely outrageous price to pay for a gun similar to the one that I'd paid $65 for in 1965. :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's a fair observation on all points, PX15, though I wonder if the same logic could be applied, say, 50 years down the road when your son or daughter pulls your NIB PPS FE out of the gun safe and lists it on the equivalent of Gunsamerica for ... who knows how much more than today's $575 or even $800 asking price? Don't you wish you had bought that NIB PPK or PP or P5 or whatever 15 years ago or 20 years ago or 25 years ago for the then outrageous price of ... what? an eighth of what it's worth today? And in the meantime, of course, you'd have the pleasure of owning a quality firearm through the intervening years, knowing that its value will always climb.
(

searcher451:

Respectfully I suggest you and I approach guns in a different manner. I don't buy guns with an overall consideration as to what they might be "worth" in the days ahead. I buy guns, because I like guns, and any firearm I buy will be shot, not put away in a gun safe worrying about future profit. Or, I don't have any interest in buying a new "anything" planning at the time to store it for potential investment value in the future.

In my particular case my only Son, who I love with all my heart, is simply not a firearms nut like his dad. I have taught him firearms safety, and for some reason he has taken a liking to a S&W 3913 I purchased new, and hasn't been fired much. So, I put away the 3913 with a new DeSantis thumb snap leather holster, 4 new S&W Mags and he's a happy camper. He doesn't even want it now, but after I kick off.

I guess it years to come (or days, what do I know, I'm 65) he will inherit my little firearms collection, and probably trade them all for a used video game, or fancy cell phone.

Funny, with all of my "nicer" pistols (Walthers/Sigs/Seecamps,etc) Stephen only is drawn to the S&W 3913.

As for the Walther PPS (FE) I sincerely doubt that if I bought one new today, and stored it away for a few decades it would appreciate any more than say, my old Colt Cobras, or Detective Specials. Probably less. And, I shoot my snubby's..:D

I buy guns to shoot and enjoy. I do not buy guns to store away as investments. If a person pays $800 for a $600 firearm, no matter how pretty the aluminum case I just think he/she's behind the investment curve right out the door...

Of course this issue is strictly personal preference and opinion.. I don't mean to rain on anybodies parade regarding the Walther PPS FE, as I hope to buy a black one when I find one the dealer isn't too proud of.

Thanks for you input, and best wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after if i read it correctly, the starting price for bids is $800 and it has a reserve price and that reserve price has not yet been met. i'm shocked. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have a hard time believing that any plastic gun --assuming the model remains in production-- is EVER going to be worth more than one paid for it at retail, discounting of course the march of monetary inflation. It comes out of a mold; what is there to distinguish it?

M

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I have a hard time believing that any plastic gun --assuming the model remains in production-- is EVER going to be worth more than one paid for it at retail, discounting of course the march of monetary inflation. It comes out of a mold; what is there to distinguish it?

M
You can say exactly the same thing about any gun on the market right now, regardless of when it was made, from Colt to Ruger to Walther. What makes one P38 worth more than another today, beyond its overall condition condition? What makes a first generation Colt SAA worth more than a second generation, or a third? Doubtless in the years ahead, some other way of making firearms -- some new wonderproduct or alloy or metal or plastic or polymer or whatever -- will come along and distinguish the new models of tomorrow from what we all take for granted now.

And if all else fails, the serial number will distinguish it. Guns that have low serial numbers command a greater price than guns with higher numbers from later years. Likewise, the last-in-the-line serial numbers often command greater prices, and in many cases a greater appreciation as the years go by. There are many examples of these on the market today; tell me you never wished that you owned one of them, or had bought one at the time. (It's all right if you didn't, by the way. :))

The truth of the matter is that guns will always increase in price because they have a function, unlike baseball cards or movie star autographs or other forms of collectibles. The proof is in the pudding, gentlemen: All you have to do is sign on to Gunsamerica or Gunbroker or numeroius other sites and see what's being offered and asked right now. Today's "bad deal" is tomorrow's "bargain." It's always been that way, and it likely always will be.

This doesn't mean that anybody and everybody should run out and buy a gun merely because they think they are making a 50-year investment for the future. (I won't be around 50 years from now, and I know it; but I still bought a PPS FE for $629 and am happy to have it. I'll be happy to secure a black model when one comes along in my neck of the woods at a decent price as well -- my FFL guy thinks that $535-$550 should do it.)

Mr. Pomeroy/PX15 is correct: Buy guns because you want them, like them, enjoy shooting them, like displaying them or having them or showing them off or snapping them at the TV when a Bond movie is on or ... whatever trips your trigger. Just keep in mind, above and beyond all that, the plain and simple truth of the matter: Guns will always will increase in value.

·
Registered
335 Posts
(I won't be around 50 years from now, and I know it; but I still bought a PPS FE for $629 and am happy to have it. I'll be happy to secure a black model when one comes along in my neck of the woods at a decent price as well -- my FFL guy thinks that $535-$550 should do it.)

Mr. Pomeroy/ Guns will always will increase in value.

searcher451:

If I wanted a FE PPS I wouldn't mind having to pay $629.00 for it. I think the excellent aluminum case and the extra magazine would make that a fair deal.

I agree too that a retail selling price of $535-550.00 would be reasonable enough to get my business for a plain black PPS. In fact I have no problem paying a bit more if one came a'calling. I want my FFL dealer to be happy with the deal too. Profit drives any market, and I don't have a problem with that as I enjoy having my FFL dealer in business and if he doesn't make a reasonable profit on his sales he won't be in business very long.

I just cannot abide price gouging, as with the ad for the FE PPS for $800+. I don't even mind that seller asking for so much profit, I just personally wouldn't buy it, altho someone probably will sooner or later.

I respectfully disagree with you that all guns will increase in value. In this age of mass production there are simply too many guns floating around for a great percentage of them to ever garner any fantastic additional value simply because they are a few decades old.

And no I don't consider the FE PPS's "average", but even with them if I were looking for long term profit for my investment it would be in something other than pistols. Even First Editions.

And hopefully before I come off as being a complete ass in this discussion I say if YOU are happy with your investment, you are the only person who matters..:D

I'm looking forward to getting a black PPS of my own, probably after the first of the year. It will be a "shooter" as are all of my firearms, and later on when I'm room temperature and toes up Stephen can do with them as he likes. ;)

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
searcher451:

If I wanted a FE PPS I wouldn't mind having to pay $629.00 for it. I think the excellent aluminum case and the extra magazine would make that a fair deal.

I agree too that a retail selling price of $535-550.00 would be reasonable enough to get my business for a plain black PPS. In fact I have no problem paying a bit more if one came a'calling. I want my FFL dealer to be happy with the deal too. Profit drives any market, and I don't have a problem with that as I enjoy having my FFL dealer in business and if he doesn't make a reasonable profit on his sales he won't be in business very long.

I just cannot abide price gouging, as with the ad for the FE PPS for $800+. I don't even mind that seller asking for so much profit, I just personally wouldn't buy it, altho someone probably will sooner or later.

I respectfully disagree with you that all guns will increase in value. In this age of mass production there are simply too many guns floating around for a great percentage of them to ever garner any fantastic additional value simply because they are a few decades old.

And no I don't consider the FE PPS's "average", but even with them if I were looking for long term profit for my investment it would be in something other than pistols. Even First Editions.

And hopefully before I come off as being a complete ass in this discussion I say if YOU are happy with your investment, you are the only person who matters..:D

I'm looking forward to getting a black PPS of my own, probably after the first of the year. It will be a "shooter" as are all of my firearms, and later on when I'm room temperature and toes up Stephen can do with them as he likes. ;)

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Well said, PX15/J. Pomeroy: No arguments, no concerns, no worries, no beefs on my part. I'm glad I got the PPS FE, and the price I paid was decent enough; some went for a bit less, and some are going for a lot more. It's a nice little pistol -- again, I'm happy to own one. Bet you will be, too.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the prices of guns during the next half-century or so; sorry I won't be around to watch it all unfold. A couple of things come into play, in my mind, at least: 1) government interference in the process and even the availability of future firearms (something we all are increasingly concerned about these days, with good reason); and 2) technological advancements that will drive design issues, likely far beyond our wildest dreams. Imagine the looks on the faces of the folks at the Walther plant back in 1937 if you were to stand there and tell them that guns one day would be made of plastic. I can only imagine that 50 years from now, gun designers will look back at the PPS and the P99 and all of the Glocks and Sigs and polymer this-and-thats and shake their heads in amazement, in much the same way that I look at the little Reid's "My Friend" knuckleduster I own and silently ponder how far we have come.

And that, I guess, is what makes a horse race, today and looking far to the future. :)

Best wishes and happy holidays to you as well. Salute.

·
Registered
335 Posts
searcher:

Ah, a happy ending.. :D Always desired..

I'm going to tell my Son that when he inherits my little stash of firearms to come over here and give you a call! Just be sure and have a good used video game handy for trading material.;)

Best Wishes, and happy holidays to you also.

Jesse Pomeroy

·
Registered
118 Posts
After a long "vacation" from the handgun world, I am back with much activity. I have purchased "quality" items and have tried my best to use them with the ability I once had. I now have SIG, HK, Walther, Beretta and Browning to offer a challenge and satisfaction. I have renewed my training and have renewed my carry status.

I do not consider my holdings as "investements", but rather part of a gathering of samples of the offerings of today. I enjoy using each of my handguns and find that most are different from the rest. The ones I choose to carry are the ones I use the best. 40 years ago, the choice would be different.

I must admit that $$$ is not a consideration in my choice of purchase. (That is one advantage of being a senior who took care of his family without relying on the Government.)

Of all that I have, I use the PPK/S-1 and the P239 to protect me and my loved ones. Those are the ones I use and carry the best. Maybe with time and more experience, I will change. Until then-------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts