Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not one, but two American-made MSAR STG-556's (which are Steyr AUG A1 clones) have presented themselves at the LGS. Both are lightly used, well cared-for, run reliably, and are good deals in terms of purchase prices when considering what they come with. The catch is that Microtech is no longer making these … or parts for them. The upside to the STG-556's over the AUGs is, of course, price. Last but not least, one of the two STG-556's comes with spare parts -- not because there was a problem with the gun, but because the owner is a gunsmith I know and he's anal-rentative, that way.

So, knowing the guns are in good shape, are a good deal, have improvements over the AUG, are in limited supply … but have zero long term support … would you buy one if the money were a non-issue? I don't need this gun, but I have a thing for bullpups. What's holding me back is the idea of zero support, especially regarding parts. (This isn't an AR where I can just order interchangeable parts.) However, this is also the very reason the guns might be worth more over time, long-term.

I'm on the fence, so I need input from people I trust. I'm seriously contemplating the gun with the spare parts, since I know who has owned it, how he treats his guns, and it happens to come with the OEM manual, OEM optic, 16 (yes, sixteen!) mags, etc. It's more costly, but it alleviates my chief parts concern unless a super-rare trunnion problem were to occur. That said, it's 3 Benjamins more than the other rifle, which lacks an optic, but has its original box and 5 mags … and is in a harder-to-find OD green (which some people prefer; doesn't sway me one way or the other).

Input/thoughts?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think we all have made a firearm purchase w/o regret for what we found to be either a great deal, or an item which by design or reputation was a must have. I'm not familiar with the price specs, but you mentioned non support for service. If I was in the market, I would opt for the firearm that has the extra parts. Pay more, but the end result probably will save you money and aggravation. Knowing how the firearms were treated and by whom is a win in my book. Of course it doesn't hurt to negotiate a better price. But I'd pull the trigger so to speak. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I have a US made AUG A3 produced under license by Saber Defence. It is the worst firearm that I have ever owned or shot. So without knowing anything about the MSAR version my advice would be to pass on it unless you have the opportunity to test fire one of them first.

If I could get mine to work reliably it would be a fun little rifle.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So, my situation was similar yet different. Back in 2011 I really had my heart set on a Sig 550 the Swiss gas operated rife.
The problem was, while no meaningful anti gun legislation was proposed I figured it was just a matter of time before we'd see some new restrictions.
I was concerned about buying a rifle that didn't share parts with many other rifles in the US in the event there was a ban on importation. Sig made an American version but I didn't feel as though they were popular enough to rely on spare parts or support.

Fast forward to today, we have democrats in charge of the House, they are going to be pushing gun control that will make the 94 AWB look reasonable, I don't believe the Senate will fight too hard and if they pass something, I expect Trump to sign it. We've already seen how he'll roll on us with little effort.

Long story short, I personally wouldn't buy anything that parts and support are hard to get now, because if I'm correct, it's not going to get better in the next few years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
In order have mechanical trouble with a firearm, we probably have to shoot it more than a little.
I wanted an AUG, but stumbled on to an MSAR ($$$)some years back; it has run flawlessly, albeit sparingly.
How hard do you expect to run it? Weekly mag dumps on an occasional trip to the range?
But for the price difference, get the one with spares, even for selling it later.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moon,
It'll be a safe queen after confirming that it's sighted in … and be taken to the range for occasional fun. i.e. It won't be run hard, at all … and it's already known to be reliable.

I made my decision and had the LGS put the one with the optic and spare parts aside for me. After shouldering and handling the rifle, I noted the polymer charging handle will need to be replaced with a metal one, but I think that's all it needs.

Thanks, all, for the input!

Reactions: halfmoonclip
1 - 8 of 8 Posts