Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say Walther/S&W came out with the PPK .380 in a polymer frame. Exact same dimensions. Identical. Same look, even with a black frame for blued steel slides and a silver frame for stainless steel slides.

Same feel, same function, just alot lighter. Would you buy one? As a Walther nut, I'd have to have one!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I a word, no.

Given the lack of a backstrap, how much weight would you actually lose by using a polymer frame? And would the recoil make second shot placement difficult? Moreover, I would think that they would have to completely redesign the pistol as I would think that a hinged trigger guard would not be very practical on a polymer frame pistol.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If the hypothectical polymer framed PPK was made, the lack of a backstrap like on a steel or dural frame would be a non issue.

All polymer made frames have grips that are a continuation of the frame, that is, one piece. And whether some of us like them or not, modern plastics are plenty strong enough for most handgun calibers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I guess that I should have been more clear in my post. Given that all PPK pistols have no backstrap, what would be the sense of making a polymer frame PPK considering that it would need a backstrap, plus metal frame rails. etc. I doubt that the weight savings would be significant enough to justify such a venture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe it would be a sin, first off. The PPK is one of the most elegant pistols I own or plan on owning. The weight of the gun is part of what makes it a quality piece. I would lose a lot of respect for Walther if they did this. And secondly, I carry it often, all day and am not bothered by the wieght, in fact, I find it a little more comforting knowing its there. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
As a collector, I would have to have one.

As a purist, I don't like the idea one bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That would be a violation of all the laws of nature and defile the natural order of things.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think it would be interesting... Yes I would buy one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I don't think I will ever buy any polymer framed pistol. They all seem top heavy and unbalanced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe it would be a sin, first off. The PPK is one of the most elegant pistols I own or plan on owning. The weight of the gun is part of what makes it a quality piece. I would lose a lot of respect for Walther if they did this. And secondly, I carry it often, all day and am not bothered by the wieght, in fact, I find it a little more comforting knowing its there. Just my $0.02
+1 Couldn't have said it better!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love my stainless Interarms PPK. Even more so that my pre-War Zella-Mehlis .32 PPK or my 1966 PPK. The reason I love it so much is that I carry it daily and my life depends on it.

But it is heavy compared to today's cutting edge firearms. Even Walther compares the new PPS with its polymer frame to their own PPK. Lighter, more powerful with the 9mm cartridge and just as thin.

I used to wonder why Walther/S&W doesn't come out with a new version of the old "dural" frame PPK. Obviously, an aluminum alloy framed PPK would be much lighter than the current blue or stainless guns. My Sig P220's aluminum frame (as well as tons of other combat handguns with aluminum frames) has stood up to thousands of hot .45 acp and +P loads. The .380 would be no problem for today's metalurgy.

But instead of aluminum, it would be very interesting if Walther simply made the PPK frame out of polymer. The trigger guard magazine release on the PPS shows how easy it would be to make the exact same take down trigger guard out of polymer as the PPK has now. Instead of grips, the whole frame would simply have the Walther banner and checkering molded right in. Including the backstrap.

It would certainly lighten the PPK up quite a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would buy one, if it functioned just as they are now. Weight isn't a consideration for me so it would be for the curiousity and fun of owning it.

Cazio

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have lots of aluminum and polymer framed handguns, but I don't think I'd buy a PPK with a polymer frame. It would be sacriligeous.

Besides, the PPS is a pistol with a polymer frame which is the same basic size as a PPK, shoots the more powerful 9X18 round and is......a Walther.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm afraid I'd feel like I have to buy a "new" PPK in any configuration, but would prefer an alloy frame to polymer too...
The alloy framed PPKs are great. I have a 22lr and a 7.65. Dieter Marschall, a German Walther expert found that approx. 22,000 7.65 and 7,200 22lrs were made with alloy frames post WWII. There are no available numbers for alloy framed PPKs from 1933-1945 I am pretty sure. Only experimental durals in 380were made post war, they never went into production. I think Earl has one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts