Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
The QA 40 slide will fit on the Walther P99AS 9mm frame. I think you'd need to also add a P99QA trigger assembly and a P99QA sear assembly. Keep in mind that the ejector is built into the sear assembly, and if you put a 40 slide on the 9mm frame, your going to have a 9mm ejector kickin' out your 40 shells. Probably not a very good idea.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Would QA 40s&w slide work on AS 9mm frame
Define "work".

Keep in mind that the ejector is built into the sear assembly, and if you put a 40 slide on the 9mm frame, your going to have a 9mm ejector kickin' out your 40 shells. Probably not a very good idea.
Not a safe one either.

The 9mm ejector should sit closer to the center of the cartridge than the .40S&W ejector. If the extractor loses hold of a live cartridge as it is being extracted from the chamber, the primer may be impacted by the ejector, and the live cartridge can explode with the ejection port open. This is not an unheard of occurrence, even on pistols that have the right ejector for the cartridge. This is also the main reason why it is recommended that people should not cover the ejection port with their hand when clearing the pistol or extracting live rounds.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Let me test it for you. Seeing as how I have a P99c QA .40 and a P99c AS 9mm.

Dry firing, it seems to "work", though only in SA.

Without going into details, there's no way to put it to DA mode. Decocker has no function.

I am not repeat not going to fire my gun in this configuration. It maybe can be done safely, but I'm not guinea pig LOL.

The 9mm ejector is about 1/16" or so longer than it's .40 counterpart.
Probably not something one wants to fart about with. If you insist on doing this, change the ejector to the .40 version. The extractor is different too, but I'm too tired to go through the processes of taking apart both slides to measure them.

If one uses the .40 ejector and likely extractor as well, it can probably be done.

What's the goal? A SAO .40 P99 or P99c?

Why not just buy a .40 AS, or even a PPQ? It's functionally identical to the hybrid of QA slide and AS frame. Without the little "catch" in the trigger (where it would otherwise transition from AS to SA on that first shot. without having fired it with live rounds, not sure this would occur with every shot as there is, simply put, NO DA ability in the configuration..)

It is intriguing. However, I've got a .40 PPQ that satisfies my itch for that caliber, so if someone else wants to try...;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saw someone selling a 40 QA slide and barrel for cheap. I have a gen 1 and gen 2 AS 9mm and thought it’d be cool if I can use the slide to shoot 40 on my 9mm frame. That’s common way to change caliber on my SIG pistols. I thank all the input but sounds like it ain’t gonna work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts