Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have the chance to get a PPQ 45 at a not so bad price.

Initially the impulse was to get it because, well I had a PPQ Q5 so why not?

But then talking about it with others, it starts to come down to "Is the PPQ45 experience worth it?"

Or should I put the money towards another pistol in 45?

Throw $760.00 as play money at the PPQ45 or save the money towards the $4000 Tanfoglio Gold Match Extreme in 45 with a 9mm kit that I've been drooling over? Or choose a different 45 to have a wider range of pistols in my collection?

Reasons for?
Reasons against?

(BTW, the prices are good, it's Canadian, and all firearms are more expensive here than simple currency conversion.)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Can't really tell you what you should do. If you're looking at a $4000+ handgun, that's a whole different ballpark.

However, I can say that I have enjoyed my PPQ 45 and continue to enjoy it. The ergonomics are just like any other PPQ, although the grip is just a bit bigger. The trigger is just as good, or even better, compared to my 4" M1 and 5" M1 models.

You could buy it, play with it for a while, and then sell it. Probably without losing much money. But if you get it, then you may not want to sell it :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Purchase the Tanfoglio as the PPQ 45 is a dime a dozen. You are also drooling over it so pull the trigger and buy it.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
If you were able to carry the weapon I'd certainly say by all means get it. The Q45 is a fantastic EDC. It has all the reliability, handling and accuracy of the Q9s and 40s with that big fat slow 45 round!

However your are likely limited to range use only and as much as I love shooting the Q45 I'm not sure it would be worth it to you.

Also it will depend upon your disposable income and how much you enjoy shooting the caliber. (Unless I'm doing proficiency I make sure I only bring 250 rounds to the range. I enjoy my Q45 that much.)

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's kinda apples (ppq .45) and, well, a perfectly ripe Gorgia peach (The Tanfo). If the Tanfo is something you can realistically afford in the next year, I'd say save up. If it's a pipe dream, grab the PPQ . 45. A Sig p220 was my . 45 DC, until I discovered the PPQ .45. Got is new for $512.00 US, I think because nobody wanted it in .45. Hands down the best carry . 45 I've owned or even shot. I gave up on the 1911 platform for DC. It's like that relationship you just want to work out sooooo badly, but know it's never gonna work out, long term. Still love the 1911, just not realistic a DC gun, for me. Edit: Didn't notice you are in Canada. Since its relegated to range use, I's hold on and get what you really want, just IMHO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Buy once, cry once, but make sure you first distinguish "want" from "need" and make sure if it's a "want," you reconcile to yourself it's just vanity. Goes for either choice.

PS It's not wrong to want vanity, unless you delude yourself into thinking it's a need.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's a not so bad price? I think for that kind of cash could do better.
Regular prices are $875-950, with most places out of stock. So, that's a very good price. US$ to CAN$ conversion plus a couple hundred dollars is the usual price for pistols up here.

PS It's not wrong to want vanity, unless you delude yourself into thinking it's a need.
I'm quite happy with the fact that not one of my firearms fills a real need. Just dropped $1200 on a Marlin CSBL in 357. Maybe should have kept the money to save for he Tanfo, but the lever action looks great alongside the Chiappa 60DS in 357. :cool:

Shot .45 for the very first time yesterday. Nice Sig Sauer STX 1911 2-tone. Confirmed I hate the feel of 1911 frames/grips, and shooting it one-handed wasn't much more than shooting the Q5 one-handed. The heavy pistol probably tamed the round down quite a bit. Still seesawing on whether to try the PPQ45 (that is buy it and take my chances).)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I seriously considered picking up a PPQ45 when I was looking for a new 45. Ended up grabbing a SIG at a pretty good price. I'm kind of hoping Walther comes out with a 10MM though. If you think it's a good price, I can only say that I've passed on several guns for various reasons that I came across at "not bad" prices and ended up kicking myself later on because the deal must have been a once in a lifetime opportunity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can't really tell you what you should do. If you're looking at a $4000+ handgun, that's a whole different ballpark.

However, I can say that I have enjoyed my PPQ 45 and continue to enjoy it. The ergonomics are just like any other PPQ, although the grip is just a bit bigger. The trigger is just as good, or even better, compared to my 4" M1 and 5" M1 models.

You could buy it, play with it for a while, and then sell it. Probably without losing much money. But if you get it, then you may not want to sell it :D

Good luck!
In FULL agreement with DavidS, on all points.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The PPQ .45 keeps drawing me back. Why?
Because if I'm going to drop a fortune on a pistol, the Laugo Alien looks so damned sexy and I love the low bore axis.
So drop some money now for fun, and start seriously saving for the uber expensive pistol.
I'll do more shooting when I'm retired, so saving up for a ridiculously expensive pistol is justified as retirement savings. Right?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a few .45s and the Q is the nicest shooting. Have a S&W 1911sc and Beretta PX4 and Sig 220 and the Q is my favorite.

I'd say buy it.

B.uit I can't say get it versus the Tanfog….two very different guns. As others say, it all depends on how you use it. I certainly wouldn't carry a $4,000 pistol....and potentially have it sit in a DAs evidence room for a year or three if I had to use I it. It might be good, but $3000 better than the Q....not for me.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Buy the Q45. I was happy EDCing a SIG Sauer P227 (45acp) until I fired my neighbors PPQ 45. Two mags and I was hooked. The 227 went to a range buddy, who made me an offer I couldn't refuse (I was not told to leave the gun, take a cannoli).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Way back in time, when I was looking at .45s, I went out and rented a HK45ct and another time a Glock-41. They were both OK, I guess, but I wasn't looking seriously at buying either one.

But then when the PPQ 45 was announced, I knew I had to have one. Never regretted it for a minute.

D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts