Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Courtesy of a $250 door prize from the folks who run the High Caliber Gun and Knife Shows in the Houston, Texas area (https://www.texasgunshows.com/), I walked away from one of their shows with a brand new Walther P22 QD.

The door prize took the form of a $250 credit toward goods sold by any single vendor at the show. Finding a P22 QD on one of the vendor's tables, I went for it. The door prize credit paid for about 90 percent of the cost of the pistol, so it didn't take very much cash from my wallet to complete the sale.

I've been considering the purchase of a 22 caliber pistol as a learner handgun for my daughter so she could start getting a feel for handling a semiautomatic pistol. I've been eyeing the P22 QD to fill this niche for little a while now, and good fortune apparently smiled and gave me a great excuse to get one.

I'm a happy camper after my trip to the gun show today, and I'm sure my daughter will be, too. Can't wait to get out to the range for some fun practice with this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Congrats. Now even though it’s new, give it a good cleaning and a gentle lube. Buy quality ammo such as CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullits. Don’t waste your time or money on the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats. Now even though it’s new, give it a good cleaning and a gentle lube. Buy quality ammo such as CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullits. Don’t waste your time or money on the cheap stuff.
Thanks for the good advice! I shall do both. No cheap ammo for this one.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Exactly, the ammo, cheap or expensive must be powerful enough to cycle the slide on these short barrel pistols. A number of makes work fine and a number don't. Wildtoad has listed two that do and are readily available. Also very important.....a firm grip on the pistol with locked wrists. .22s don't generate a lot of recoil. Eye and good ear protection at all times too. Have fun. 1917

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure I don't go out to the range or the country (or wherever else) to shoot as often as many folks here, but I'm a long-time believer in CCI 22LR ammo.

A little while back, I was going through some old target shooting supplies I had put away back in the early mid-80s and ran across several boxes of 22 ammo. Among the boxes were a couple of full boxes of 50 CCI Stingers, dated April 1981, $1.94 per box from Kmart.

There was also a full box each of Remington Yellow Jackets and Remington Vipers.

Finding those sent me back to early 80s Nacogdoches Texas and shooting off the back porch of the old country house where I lived from 1980-85. Ahh, I often miss the convenience of being able to do a little plinking or target shooting in the back yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never shot them before, but I'm also eager to try the Remington Golden Bullets. There seem to be a great deal of exceptionally positive comments about them and the P22.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I wouldn't say Remington Golden Bullets are anyone's favorite choice....they are kinda smoky and dirty when compared to CCI. On the other hand they are one of the "inexpensive, bulk" ammo choices that are available. But where they shine in the P22 is that they develop enough blow back energy to cycle the slide. Something Federals and Winchester and others don't always accomplish.

The perceived recoil is the same as a Mini mag in my opinion. I recently shot a bucket (1,300 +) of em with not one dud round. On the other hand I have had as many as four or five duds in a bulk 500 round box. They are accurate enough for plinking. But blowback energy is their claim to fame in the P22. Why there is a difference between ammo choices when the box lists similar ballistics is apparently due to primer and powder. Regardless, you can feel the difference vs Federal for example. That is not to say that a P22 won't cycle Federal bulk...they will. I just tested some copper CCI stuff this morning in a suppressed QD and in an old 5". Both pistols cycled that copper composite stuff. Neither pistol will cycle 710 fps quiet ammo.

Most of the problems that crop up regarding the P22 have to do with feeding/ejection type issues. These are mostly due to ammo that is not powerful enough and a light weight pistol being limp wristed......many a problematic P22 has become suddenly reliable with a change in ammo. So, take note....proper ammo and a firm grip almost always required on these short barrel, light weight pistol. This goes for the two sister makes as well although both of those have a lighter slide.

You will want to check from time to time as you are shooting to see if a round still drops easily into the chamber. .22's get shot a lot and get dirty...some something to quickly clean the chamber and apply a little fresh lube is always good....regardless of make of .22 firearm. That old ammo you have should work fine. I'm still shooting RGBs that I purchased for $6 per bulk box back in about 2005. Have fun with your shooting and keep us posted. 1917

1 - 7 of 7 Posts