Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this PPK/S in .22LR up at my FFL awhile ago, I bought it off Gunbroker a few days ago. It's a French Model, but apparently one of the one's made by Manhurin, proofed at ST Etienne, and assembled by Walther in ULM, and them imported by Interarms. It looks even better in person than it does in the pics. I can't wait to go shoot it!

and assembled by Walther in ULM, and them imported by Interarms. It looks even better in person than it does in the pics. I can't wait to go shoot it!

French PPKS .22LR  2.jpg
French PPKS .22LR.jpg
St Etienne Proof.jpg
Made in France.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice... that one looks to be in great condition. I hope it’s a good shooter for you.

I didn’t even know that Interarms imported both the German (marked Made in Germany) and French (marked Made in France) PP series guns but alas, confirmed in this thread:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And it's great! It isn't too fond of bulk pack ammo; tried Federal 36 gr in both the red and the blue box, getting about 2 FTF (nose up jam) per mag. Ran great on CCI Mini Mag 40 gr and Fiocchi HV 40 gr copper plated stuff. Several hundred rounds of those two now through two trips to the range and no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Druryj, that's a nice looking PPK/S you've got there. What kind of sights does it have ? I see a white dot on the front but I'm curious about the rear.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Sam Cummings of Interarms owned both, a Walther licence and a Manurhin licence. So he imported both. The shown gun never went to Ulm, it was assembled in Mulhouse.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Druryj, that's a nice looking PPK/S you've got there. What kind of sights does it have ? I see a white dot on the front but I'm curious about the rear.
@Redcat94; Both front and rear are white, where red usually is. If it's been re-painted, someone did a fine job!

Sam Cummings of Interarms owned both, a Walther licence and a Manurhin licence. So he imported both. The shown gun never went to Ulm, it was assembled in Mulhouse.
Thanks for the info @Martin. That's what's great about this forum; knowledgeable members! I assume you can tell by the markings on the pistol?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Yep, made in France. Mulhouse is the town, Manurhin was located at... ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yup, that’s what I thought, again, if was touched in Ulm, it would carry the marks, correct?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It can get confusing; it clearly was made in France, yet it isn't wearing the Mahurin name. I wish I had an explanation for that. Is it a Manhurin?

·
Registered
125 Posts
It can get confusing; it clearly was made in France, yet it isn't wearing the Mahurin name. I wish I had an explanation for that. Is it a Manhurin?
I would say it’s a Walther that was made in France. Personally, I don’t consider any gun to be a Manurhin unless it says Manurhin on it. But that’s with the understanding that all of the German Walther parts weren’t 100% made in Germany until mid 1980s so even my W German guns were partly made by Manurhin. If it were my gun, I’d say it’s a Walther that was made by Manhurin in France.

The markings on the guns get tricky when the license location changed, when Cummings did the ‘takeover’, when the license was transferred, etc... but the proof marks don’t often lie. German proof marks on frame/barrel/slide and vs French proof marks frame/barrel/slide tell the story.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
It's a Walther licenced Manurhin. It's a product of the fact, that Sam Cummings had both licences. These guns were made for US-market only.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, my little Walther licensed Manhurin in .22LR is sure one fine little pistol, and I am happy it's mine. So happy, in fact, that in just a few hours I will be shooting away at my local range with it. Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And I'm back from the range. Just like before, the gun clearly does not like Eley ammo. But oh man, does she ever run like a champ on either Fiocchi or CCI Mini Mags in 40 grain copper plated ammunition. A joy to handle and a joy to shoot! I am so happy with it my face might break from smiling.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
druryj, how many rounds are you putting in the mag? Sometimes downloading by a couple will make these run on less than ideal ammo.
My second handgun was one of these; bought it for $75 in '71, and swapped it for $85 a year later (on a Smith 36). That should have told me something..
Beaucoup years later, found another at a gun show. Need to check the markings.
Moon
ETA- More to the story of the first one. I was in the Guard in '72 when we were called out for a truckers' strike. They took the BCG out of all our issue M16A1s (echoes of Kent State?). Most of our company carried personal arms; the Walther rode in my field jacket.
M

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Martin's suggestion to call the gun a Walther licensed Manurhin is certainly correct, but in my opinion this term is true for a Manurhin marked gun too. In fact, the latter case seems even more logical to me. So I tend to describe this weapon simply as a Walther manufactured by Manurhin for Interarms.

@druryj I suggest turning off the auto-correct feature of this forum when it comes to Manurhin. Otherwise the name of the company will be misspelled for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts