Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always carried Glock pistols but wanted something for my wife to shoot and possibly carry once she goes through the CCW class. I origally thought I would buy the sig 226 but it did not fit in her hand. The PPKS fit perfect. After doing some research online I have heard of jamming problems with them. I have not taken it to the range but wanted to know what peoples honest oppion of this gun is. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a couple of them and have never had any "jamming" problems. One is made in France and the other is a U.S. made Interarms. The problem or concern is that the guns are blowback operated and have pretty strong springs. First, make sure she is strong enough to operate the pistol. Second, if you don't keep a firm grip (limpwrist) I've found that mine will fail to feed (FTF) once in awhile. The slide will go back far enough to eject the fired round but not far enough to pick up the next round from the magazine and you end up dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. This has only happened to me with 60 grain bullets, never with the 71 grain. Not quite as much recoil impulse from the lighter bullet I would guess. I love the little Walthers and I trust them for carry but be aware of these characteristics I described. They are true classics, like the Luger and 1911's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I acquired a PPK/S-1, stainless steel, made by S&W in a trade last July. I had problems with the little gun until I had over 800 rounds through it. It took that long to break in. Now it is my daily carry gun. I like the little thing very much.

There are at least two things you'll have to keep in mind if you are going to give the gun to your wife or girl friend.

First, the gun has no external slide release button, so the only way to load the gun is to insert a loaded magazine and pull the slide to the rear, releasing it to chamber a round. The second thing to keep in mind is that the recoil spring is very strong, making difficult to pull the slide to the rear. I couldn't do it consistantly at first and I still get an ocasional jamm when loading the weapon.

The cure is to develop a technique that works for you and practice it a LOT.

Also, the recoil is substantionally less than the recoil of say a .44 mag, but the light weight of the .380 guns results in recoil that is at least noticible.

I don't think the gun is really a "ladies" weapon. Be sure you have her try it first, before you commit to owning one.

I also recommend you find an aftermarket set of wooden or composite grips.
The composite grips I installed on my PPK/S are very large part of why I like the gun so much. I just fits in my hand so well!

Whatever you decision, good luck!

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts