Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start this as a new thread instead of adding to the one already going, hoping that this information is useful and maybe easier to pick up in a search.

Anyway, I recently bought a TPH in .22 and wanted to 're-spring' the gun - another post suggested that Wolff carries springs, but they do not show on their webpage - this is true. Wolff carries both recoil and hammer springs for the TPH.

Part numbers are:

32750 - Walther TPH .22 STD Recoil Spring ($7.89)
32751 - Walther TPH .22 X-power Recoil Spring ($7.89)
32754 - Walther TPH .22 STD Hammer Spring ($4.29)
32757 - Walther TPH .22 X-Power Hammer Spring ($4.29)

I detailed stripped my TPH last week and replaced the hammer and recoil springs with the Wolff standard power springs. 'Racking' the slide with the hammer down is easier compared to the spring that came with the gun and the double-action trigger pull does feel lighter to me, not sure if this means that the Wolff Springs are a bit lighter than factory or not. Both the standard power hammer spring and the recoil springs are slightly longer than factory, the X-power hammer spring is quite a bit longer than stock. The gun functioned very well with this set, I had one light 'primer' strike with a stinger, but honestly cannot say if that was the round or the new hammer spring - the second attempt fired the round. I had no other problems with stingers, minimags, thunderbolts and some bulk winchester. I think that using the X-Power hammer spring would cure the light primer strike problem, but I like the way the double-action trigger feels, so probably wont make the change. If I keep shooting a lot of stingers I might go with the X-Power recoil spring, easy to swap out, so just might experiment with both types of recoil spring this weekend.

Joe

·
Registered
115 Posts
I tried stingers in my Colt Model 22, 4 inch barrel, and they were too hot. It seemed as though the slide had too much enengy on recoil and that pushed the new round too hard into the chamber which resulted in what looked like a light hit. That gun didn't like them at all - stock springs, that's all I could find at the time. Anyway, thanks for the range report. Please keep posting the results of your work; I would like a semi that could handle stingers and your work is helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post results with the X-Power recoil spring if I get a chance to go to the range this weekend. One thing that impressed me about the TPH is the accuracy for a pistol with such a short barrel.

This is the first pistol that I have owned where ammunition quality makes a very large difference in group size. I tried some high-velocity, decent quality federals in the thing shooting paper plates at about 7 yards - federals were on the plate, but scattered. Changed to mini-mags and stingers, and the groups shrunk dramatically - seriously night and day. For my pistol, I think that mini-mags are the way to go, stingers a close second.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts