Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a vintage PPK/S. It is almost impossible to rack the slide unless I put leather gloves on!
I was looking at replacing the recoil spring and saw that Wolff offers them in 16, 17 and 20 lb. load ratings.
Can anyone recommend which of those would be best for a '73 PPK/S? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Get the Recoil Calibration Pak and test each of the springs until you find the weakest one that allows the PPK/S to work reliably.
If still too hard (PPKs are known for being hard to rack), get a Springfield XDe (super reliable and very easy to rack).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Or get a Handi Rack if you don't want to spend $500 on a new pistol. They work great. The calibration pack is a good idea, didn't know this was available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get the Recoil Calibration Pak and test each of the springs until you find the weakest one that allows the PPK/S to work reliably.
If still too hard (PPKs are known for being hard to rack), get a Springfield XDe (super reliable and very easy to rack).
Thanks. That’s a good option unless someone chimes in with a specific spring that works particularly well. I don’t need another gun as I own a vintage PP and a PPK in .32 and two other .380s of a different make. I’m sure that the spring in this PPK/S is of the 24 lb. variety...too stiff.

·
Registered
617 Posts
i wouldn’t do this. Much better idea would be to use the strongest spring you can handle. There is (must be) a reason the folks at Walther decided to use such a strong recoil spring in the first place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just got a vintage PPK/S. It is almost impossible to rack the slide unless I put leather gloves on!
I was looking at replacing the recoil spring and saw that Wolff offers them in 16, 17 and 20 lb. load ratings.
Can anyone recommend which of those would be best for a '73 PPK/S? Thanks!
You might call Wolf and find out if they make a factory equivalent spring. Using a stronger spring is hard on the gun as although it does slow down the rearward momentum of the slide it speeds up the forward momentum which can and will damage the pistol eventually. Cracked frames and slides are usually the result of using the wrong springs.

I might add using an under powered spring will also damage the slide and frame as well because they you get excess recoil especially with hot loads a well and also even using standard velocity ammo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The rearward momentum from the burning powder is stronger than the forward momentum from the spring. Loading a new round into the chamber is also going to cushion some of the forward momentum, The slide stop on the trigger guard is taking quite a blow when the slide goes back. That's why the manufacturers are recommending specific springs. I can't see going wrong by using the recommended spring strength.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently put standard springs in both my PPKs and they seem to be easier. I know this is psychological, but never the less. I didn't actually NEED to re-spring them, but I don't know their history as I bought them used, so better safe than sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts