Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went to the range today (shooting Smith revolvers) and the rangemaster came up to me with a grin and a bag in his hand.

He knows I recently bought a ‘66 Ulm PPK. Recently some unknown guy brought a whole pile of Wolff PPK springs to the range and abandoned them there, so the rangemaster grabbed them for me.

Included was the Wolff ‘recoil calibration pak reduced power’ combo meal for 380 PPK, which consists of reduced power recoil springs (14, 15, 16, 17 lbs) and three extra power firing pin springs. Also in the bag was a kit consisting of a 17-lb spring and firing pin spring. Then there was a ‘pistol service pak’ with a recoil, firing pin, and a third unknown small spring, with a handwritten note indicating that it was standard power. Finally there was a bag with a handwritten note with six different kinds of springs, indicating that they are the original springs for his gun and were changed 6-1-2013. As a bonus there is another small bag with an original PPK grip screw and nut, and finally a Wilson 22lb spring for a 1911.

I can’t begin to comprehend why somebody would want or think they need all these different power springs? I have only fired my PPK a handful of times, but it has performed just about flawlessly with the original springs (it was apparently NIB when I bought it) with both Speer factory ammo and my moderate-power reloads. I therefore see no need for lower-power springs unless one was to craft super-light target loads, and who would do that with a PPK?

So what’s the reasonable thing for me to do with all these springs? Is there any good reason for me to keep them? If not I will throw them on eBay.

Thoughts and words of wisdom please!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Can't imagine you'd pull a lot of cash out of that bag o' springs. But then, I've got an extensive collection of stuff, which won't please my heirs and assigns.
Maybe experiment a little, and share your observations?
Moon

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't imagine you'd pull a lot of cash out of that bag o' springs. But then, I've got an extensive collection of stuff, which won't please my heirs and assigns.
Maybe experiment a little, and share your observations?
Moon
Well, I can’t see the benefit of a lower-power recoil spring unless the standard spring is too stiff for proper functioning. A lower-power spring would just result in the slide battering the frame, no?

I’m trying to discern a justification for them. I have a low-power spring in my Colt Gold Cup 45 Auto because I shoot extremely light target loads exclusively. I would never subject it to full-power ammo without reinstalling the stock recoil spring.

The new price for the full PPK kit of multiple springs is only $25 so I’m not anticipating getting rich from it. If somebody could convince me of their merits I might be persuaded to experiment, but the deafening silence here thus far has me inclined to just leave mine alone and move these springs on. Avoiding unnecessary clutter is not something I’m particularly known for (!) but this might be a good place to start!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts