Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had good experiences running Russian steel cased ammo in every gun I own : CZ, SIG, SW, and even ran some without a problem in my P99 and Hk P 30.

My question is how does this ammo (not American steel brands ) run in the PPS M 1???
I know a number of you cannot stand steel cased ammo, so I get it. I don’t want to get into the why...

Just tell me if it runs or doesn’t. Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I figured someone would have chimed in. I have run a few (maybe 50) aluminum Federal without problems. No steel yet.
I think some have reported problems with steel and others have shot it with no trouble.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probably end up running some steel case to try it out. I do find that tula and wolf are really good ammo and of course they are substantially cheaper to run.

However, I do believe the PPS like the P 99 has a stepped chamber which can change the dynamics of shooting aluminum and steel cased ammo. because I have run steel cased and aluminum cased ammo in my P 99 and it’s worked wonderfully, I just wanted to know about the PPS.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between Russian steel case like wolf, and some of the American steel case stuff which I have found to be substandard. I just wanted to survey to see if people here experienced it one way or the other with the PPS.

I am also trying to deliberately avoid the whole “steel is crap so don’t ever use it in decent guns“ discussion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured someone would have chimed in. I have run a few (maybe 50) aluminum Federal without problems. No steel yet.
I think some have reported problems with steel and others have shot it with no trouble.

The forbidden topic. LOL

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I've run American Steel through my PPS and its done fine, 0 issues. Never tried Russian Steel through it though. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've run American Steel through my PPS and its done fine, 0 issues. Never tried Russian Steel through it though. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Actually that is a pretty good indicator because I have had better experience with Wolf/Tula than AS. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Actually that is a pretty good indicator because I have had better experience with Wolf/Tula than AS. Thanks.

No problem. Still interested in the Russian stuffs actual performance when you try it. I just built my first AR and have a variety of ammo to try running through it, including several steel cased versions from Tula/Wolf myself.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a BUNCH of steel cased 5.56, but that MIGHT be a different story. The steel cased 5.56 has bimetal bullets - which erode the bore on a 5.56 very quickly from reports - so that is a different matter. Its all about the bullet and NOT the case. The steel cases run fine in an AR or pistol.

The bimetal jacket is fine in a pistol - different dynamics.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I ordered with out realizing it was steel case a couple boxes of 9mm I think its Winchester, I'm going to fire them only in Glocks just in case the extractor chips.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is NO risk to your extractor. Zippo. Nada. Pure internet lure fueled by speculation. Many run thousands of rounds of steel in pistols with zero ill effects.

My only concern is that the PPS may have a stepped chamber and there might be reliability issues in cycling. I don’t think that is the case and wanted to ask before I run all steel in all my guns.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: No problems with Wolf at all. Ran over 100 rounds through this used gun, and all went well. (I even have some brass debris in it from the brass dummy rounds I use for dry fire). I DID HAVE a failure to extract with ONE Fed Aluminum at the end of one mag. I then shot many more Fed Al and Steel and a bunch I fired WITHOUT the mag and they extracted and ejected fine. I am pleased with the results.

I LIKE this PPS Classic. Trigger has too much grit, and it is a tad heavy but it will shoot accurately and quickly when needed. Shoots a bit low at 7 yards with the Trudots. Slide release easy but positive. Of course paddles work well probably BECAUSE I amusing the large backstrap. Pretty nice shooting for a compact slim gun.

I really think they messed up going to the DUMB BUTTONS on the M2 and in deleting the rail. Just think if you are traveling in a semi-Nazi state and you have to use a 7-8 round gun as carry and bedside do it all. You can mount a small light and you are GTG.

Walther NEEDs to keep making the Classic - please!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts