Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a question about personal defense ammo. I bought 2 boxes of Winchester white box 9mm 115gr JHP for my P99. It functioned flawlessly. I am wondering if it is a wise choice as carry ammo. It is $11.00 for 50 rds and I didn't see much difference on the outside compared with more expensive choices, so I bought it to test its reliability.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've heard good things about this ammo. I would not worry too much about carrying it, I'm sure it would do the job.

For that price though, you can also get Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P or Remington 115gr +P+ which have more established track records.

This site has good info on ammo performance:

AmmoLab Test Results

Regards,
James

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James,
Thank you for the reply. I am not too knowledgeable about +P and +P+ ammo. I have been hesitant to use it because I don't know much about it. Will it cause noticeable accelerated wear on the weapon? Is it safe to use? I looked in the P99 manual and the P99 FAQ site, but I didn't find mention on factory +P type ammunition.

If +P is safe for the weapon, I would be very interested in trying it. Where is a good place to get the Speer Gold Dot +P and Remington +P+?

-Thanks!
-Yoshi

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sure it will accelerate wear if you only shoot +P ammo. But not if you shoot 200-300 rounds a year with your defensive ammo to get used to it and verify function.

The P99 is WELL designed to take +P and +P+ ammo. Proof loads fired for the final testing are at +P and above levels.

Best place for ammo in my opinion is Outdoor Marksman

Regards,
James

·
Registered
15 Posts
I prefer carrying Federal 'Expanding Full Metal Jacket' for self-defense. This ammo has positive expansion unlike hollow point ammunition when penetraiting leather or heavy jean material. Expansion is also greater than hollow point by design. Bigger holes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, Ken. You and me must be the only ones that even heard about this ammo. I, too use it for my carry ammo courtesy of ammoman.com

Fritz

·
Registered
15 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fritzthecat @ Feb. 01 2004,7:21)]Wow, Ken.  You and me must be the only ones that even heard about this ammo.  I, too use it for my carry ammo courtesy of ammoman.com

Fritz
Not quite. Although the only place I can find this ammo is where you identified, I know that this state-of-the-art design is very popular with those who are concerned with over-penetration [drops like a rock once collapsed] and further there are a few police departments in my State of Michigan who are issued this cartidge.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I prefer to use Winchester Ranger "T-series" 127 grain +P+. I actually shoot about 50 rounds a year in my 9mm P99.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts