Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know strikers are all the rage these days, and I never thought about it until I stumbled across the XD-E, but will Walther ever product another? I'm not talking about a $2K all steel successor to the P5, but a reasonably priced polymer pistol (like the XD-E)?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
IMO the chances are slim to none. The P99 AS is Walther's option for those that want a DA/SA type modern poly frame pistol. if the XD-E was a really good selling pistol manufacturers might consider such but it is not.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I agree, I had two PPSs and a 5” PPQ, sold them and only have hammered fired pistols except the P99 & P99 C.

Reactions: Fritzdecatze

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I hope they continue to make hammer fired pistols. I know it's ridiculous, but I just cannot get comfortable with striker fired pistols, I just don't trust them and I don't know if I ever will.

There is ONE striker fired handgun in my collection that I feel TOTALLY comfortable around with a round chambered. Funny how the first striker handgun was the safest IMHO.

Well, technically two, the P7 M13 shooter and the P7 M13 safe queen........

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Walther (Ulm) tends to cater to the police and military market. Civilian sales always seemed to be an afterthought with the products that were coming out of the Ulm plant.

How many police and military agencies are switching to hammer fired pistols lately? Compare that number to the number of agencies switching to striker fired pistols.

I can't say I blame them. It is the market that they cater to, and until demand for hammer fired pistols rises in that market, I wouldn't expect anything hammer fired from the Ulm plant.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

How many police and military agencies are switching to hammer fired pistols lately? Compare that number to the number of agencies switching to striker fired pistols.

It's really a function of cost. Striker-fired pistols are cheaper to manufacture, and allow lower bids to the buying agencies.

M

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Walther (Ulm) tends to cater to the police and military market. Civilian sales always seemed to be an afterthought with the products that were coming out of the Ulm plant.

I can't say I blame them. It is the market that they cater to, and until demand for hammer fired pistols rises in that market, I wouldn't expect anything hammer fired from the Ulm plant.
Balance is spot on.

Even Walther's recent push into the civilian competitive pistol leverages striker fired technology. Walther's direction seems to be to continue to refine their striker fired mechanism.

If reports on their new Expert trigger are accurate, they are now able to produce striker fired trigger pulls with the quality of high end hammer fired guns.

Of course DUA would say (correctly) HK crossed that bridge years ago with the P7.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
The day of the double/single action has come and gone, whether for economics (Mike) or philosophy...the trigger transition isn't currently popular.(Please, no offense...I know some folks are still fans.) There is also a case for the lower bore axis in striker fired pistols, as well as the simpler manual of arms.
The hammered 1911 has taken a lot of the wind out of the hammer fired market.
As far as trusting striker guns, no problemo. The firing pin blocks makes it almighty unlikely that they'll fire without a trigger press.
I think it unlikely that new hammer guns will be part of Walther's plans.
Moon

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For some reason, I don't think anyone should be shoveling dirt on the grave of the hammer-fired pistol. For example:

HK: USP, 45, Mark 23, P2000, P30...frankly their only striker fired pistols are the VPs
Sig: P220, P225, P226, P228, P229, SP2022, Legion.
Remington: R-51, 1911s
Springfield: XD-E (which has been expanded from 1 to 3 models), 911, 1911
CZ: 75, Shadow 2, P-07, P-01, P-09, 2075 RAMI, 97
Beretta: M9, PX4, 92, 21, 3032, 96,
Colt: their entire line of pistols
Ruger: SR series (mostly 1911s), Security-9, LCP
- just to name a few

Guess someone needs to tell these "dumb butt" companies their firearms are obsolete. Too bad they can't see they aren't selling any of these pistols, since everyone has switched to Glocks now...and they keep expanding their product offerings...

The problem with SA striker fired pistols is the decreased safety aspect in CC for the general public. If you carry your pistol with a round chambered (as it should be), you have a much higher risk if putting your finger on the trigger and having a AD during a stressful situation than with a "decocked" SA/DA or a pistol or a SA pistol with an external manual safety. Just ask that federal agent who shot himself in the foot during that firearm safety demonstration. Doubt the majority of CC people have as much training as he did at the time of the accident. Add the stress of having to defend yourself...

Nope, I won't CC my PPQ, even though I prefer to shoot that over every other pistol I own. I'm just not willing to add that additional risk, so for now I'll stick with my P99C and my XD-E. The XD-E is a really nice pistol, and exactly the type of pistol I would love to see Walther to add to their product line.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Did I miss a post in this thread???

I didn't see anyone shoveling dirt on hammer fired handguns.

The topic, "Will WALTHER ever produce another hammer fired pistol", in NO way decides the life/death of the hammer.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did I miss a post in this thread???

I didn't see anyone shoveling dirt on hammer fired handguns.

The topic, "Will WALTHER ever produce another hammer fired pistol", in NO way decides the life/death of the hammer.

Sorry, but that was directed more towards this comment:

"The day of the double/single action has come and gone"

I'm not alone with the group that prefers SA/DA "hammer-fired" pistols.

I bought a G23C around the turn of the century, and although I liked it, I never really fell in love with it. It might have been the "spongy" trigger or the ergonomics of a 2"x4", but it never really felt like it was an extension of me.

It wasn't until I bought a PPQ that I found a striker-fired pistol I loved. Now if I was using it for competition, would go with whatever I liked shooting the most (which at this time would be my PPQ), but give me something with a decocker or an external manual safety for my CC pistol. They just add an additional layer of safety while carrying with "one in the pipe."

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Sorry, but that was directed more towards this comment:

"The day of the double/single action has come and gone"

I'm not alone with the group that prefers SA/DA "hammer-fired" pistols.

I bought a G23C around the turn of the century, and although I liked it, I never really fell in love with it. It might have been the "spongy" trigger or the ergonomics of a 2"x4", but it never really felt like it was an extension of me.

It wasn't until I bought a PPQ that I found a striker-fired pistol I loved. Now if I was using it for competition, would go with whatever I liked shooting the most (which at this time would be my PPQ), but give me something with a decocker or an external manual safety for my CC pistol. They just add an additional layer of safety while carrying with "one in the pipe."

No worries. I actually missed that "The day of the double/single action has come and gone" comment while skimming this thread. My bad.

I actually EDC my PPQ 45, and ALWAYS maintain STRICT trigger discipline. The Q45 replace a Sig Sauer 227.

FWIW, hammer guns outnumber striker guns (by over 5 to 1) in my handgun collection. Yet my favorite shooter is the HK P7M13 striker (a better shooter/more accurate then my fully bench tuned Wilson Combat 92G Brigadier Tactical).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I think balance pretty much covered it.

These days most military and law enforcement agencies are buying striker fired pistols. If your main business (Walther) is building guns for these agencies you might take that in consideration when designing and building service pistols.

There is a little bit of fashion in firearms. Trends come and go. Right now the popular thing for institutional use is a striker fired consistent pull handgun. They are simple and cheap to build and service. Easy to shoot well enough.

If that were to change I'd expect Walther to adapt. Until then, probably not.

No one is saying hammered fired guns are obsolete. They still work just fine as do DA revolvers. They are no longer the "in thing" for purchases by most militaries and police forces.

I expect companies still making them will continue to for as long as it is profitable for them to do so.

The Springfield XDE is an interesting attempt to reach a certain part of the civilian CC market that I think you are speaking for.

I have no idea how its selling or if its catching on. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
DA/SA hammer guns have a few characteristics that LEO/Military have come to find undesirable. The striker gun resolves these issues.

The heavy DA pull is a nice feature that reduces accidental discharge (AD), we can all agree on that.
This "feature" becomes an issue when the operator is in a stressful situation, with a cocked hammer, and puts his finger inside the trigger guard/goes on trigger. Plenty of ADs/accidental shootings (AS) have been attributed to thinking "DA trigger" while handling a gun in "SA trigger" condition.
There is also the act of inexperienced operators "throwing away" the first DA shot in a stressful situation, because their lack of training with the DA/SA platform leaves them with little ability in DA mode. It would take untold millions of dollars in time/ammo/training to get the US Military/US LEOs proficient in DA/SA sidearms.

It's much easier to train "booger hook" outside the trigger guard until ready to fire (striker gun), then proper DA/SA etiquette. The consistent trigger pull of strike fire guns does away with the "first shot throw away" issue too.

Don't get me started on DA/SA hammer guns with manual safety. A next level item for "assumption of condition" causing ADs & ASs.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
And it probably was not the first.
The earliest one I know of was the Roth-Steyr 1907.

They've been around for a while. It was one of the first semi-automatic pistols to be adopted by a military.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
The earliest one I know of was the Roth-Steyr 1907.

The C93 Borchardt and Luger are both striker fired as well. In the early days of the automatic pistol the striker was pretty common. It wasn't until the 1930's that hammer fired pistols started to become the norm. I think the success of the 1911 was bolstered by the PP, P.38, and Hi Power.

But to answer the original question I'm the wrong person to ask. I didn't think Walther would ever make a .45 or bring back an all steel pistol either. They might suprise us yet.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
When most of today's hammer pistol offerings are of a design from over 100 years...it's a double edged sword..are they in the past, or are they the "next big thing"?

Well...how many brand new, clean sheet of paper design hammer fired pistols are being made..right NOW?

There's likely a certain demographic that hammer guns cater to, and I'd daresay that were it not for competition, that pool is shrinking...

To answer the OP's question...

The answer is simple. From Ulm, no. They don't have the room.

Unless they tool up in Fort Smith, there'll not be a new hammer fired gun with "Walther" on it.
And do you really want the BB Gun factory making you a new gun? :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts