Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my second Walther today, a .32 PP to go with my P99 40.  I don't have it yet, I'll pick it up tomorrow.  I bought it for my wife, but I find myslef almost giddy in anticipation of getting it.

Anyway, to the point, I have read both that the PP will and will not drop fire.  Can anyone tell me which is the case?

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it lands on the muzzle the inertia of the firing pin could cause the gun to fire. Likewise if it falls on the hammer hard enough it could also fire. The safety locks the firing pin and blocks the hammer and is the only really safe way to carry any PP series gun. I don't know about the new S&W versions, it's possible they added a passive firing pin lock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so if I keep the safety lever down, the FP is blocked. That is what I neded to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have one of the newer S&W made PPK/S handguns. I believe the lockwork is the same as the PP.

When the safety is down, the hammer is blocked from striking the firing pin, but the pin itself is not restricted. I am not sure if it could fire on the inertia of the pin itself (doesn't seem likely to me) but I suppose with enough force it is possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the manual, the FP is both blocked and restricted on the PP with the safety lever down. It will not drop fire in that condition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's easy to check for yourself. With an UNLOADED gun and the safety off with the hammer cocked, push on the firing pin with the point of a pencil. You will see that the pin can be pushed forward easily. Now keep your thumb on the hammer to keep it from dropping and engage the safety. While continuing to hold the hammer back, push on the firing pin with a pencil again. You will see that it is now locked and can only move a fraction, it cannot contact the primer from inertia when dropped on the muzzle. This would be easy to check on the new S&W as well. If it has a passive firing pin lock you should not be able to move the pin with a pencil with the safety off unless the trigger is pulled. If it behaves as above the safety must be engaged to be completely safe from a drop fire.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Indeed, common sense prevails. The PPK/S (and presumably the PP) has the firing pin blocked when the safety is on. Thanks Ramoel and txjeep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts