Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out my KelTec P11 will drop fire from about 4 feet if it hits on the muzzle (not through personal experience thankfully). Not cool for a carry piece. This made me wonder if the same is true for my P99 SA/DA. I thought there were some internal safeties to prevent this, but I figured I'd ask you folks about it. Comments?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The P99/SW99's are drop safe. They have firing pin blocks that don't move out of the way unless the trigger is held back.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
There is a plate blocking the striker from hitting the cartridge primer, that is only moved up by moving the trigger. So unless, the trigger is moved, that striker isn't going to hit the primer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that is what I was thinking.

One more question. What is the preferred (safest) method of carrying the P99 SA/DA...decocked or cocked. Does it really make a difference other than the weight of the trigger pull? I feel like the trigger break in the SA mode is a little more predictable than when in DA mode, so I sort of like having the striker back.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Decocked is safer.  It's more difficult to accidently pull the trigger during reholstering (as may happen if your shirt gets in the way) or when the shhhtuff hits the fan.  You say it won't happen to you, but I've about had a heart attack a few times when the hair is standing up on your neck and as you round the next corner a cat comes flying out of a dumpster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nope . P99s were designed to pass the German Police drop test which is very rigorous. You may drop it in any position you want , it will not drop fire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts