Walther Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Springfield XD40 magazines work in the 9mm pistol with very minor tweaking. Will the .40s&w P99 magazines work with the 9mm P99 and if so, how many rounds of 9mm would the 10round .40 magazines hold?

Are the SW99 magazines compatible with the P99?

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Yes, SW99 mags worl in P99s. I have 2 16 round S&W mags. I actually prefer them to the Walther mags. I NEVER get rattling sounds from the S&W mags. Besides, they are all made by the same manufacturer.

I can't answer the question about the 40 cal mags, though...

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
For P99 mags, the feed lips are (w/o alteration) too wide on a .40 S&W mag to retain 9mm rounds. I vaguely recall someone trying this and being unsuccessful. That said, if this is being asked to find a way around state laws regarding capacity limits I suggest using caution here. The authorities probably will not be amused if you cram 11 or more rounds of 9mm in a 10 round .40 S&W mag. -Be careful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For P99 mags, the feed lips are (w/o alteration) too wide on a .40 S&W mag to retain 9mm rounds. I vaguely recall someone trying this and being unsuccessful. That said, if this is being asked to find a way around state laws regarding capacity limits I suggest using caution here. The authorities probably will not be amused if you cram 11 or more rounds of 9mm in a 10 round .40 S&W mag. -Be careful.
We have this debate quite often on a CA based forum with input from lawyers. It sucks that we have to play this game but that is exactly what the CA DOJ does, play word games with the penal codes or ever worse make up fudd and spread it to our local PDs.

The PC specifically states that one can't 'sell, import, or manufacture' a hi-cap magazine. Seems they left out buy but that is up for the DA to decide. An interesting thing is certain exemptions exists for this 'sell, import, and manufacture' such as for LEOs or armored vehicle guards. So, in theory, since LEOs and others are exempt from the PC restricting 'sell, import, manufacture' and because the PC does not specifically state that one can't "buy" then an LEO should be able to sell to a regular Joe. Of course this doesn't happen though.

The thing about sticking 9mm rounds into the .40s&w magazine falls into whether or not a person is manufacturing a hi-cap magazine and in this case a person would not be. The original magazine and design is still in place and still usable in the .40s&w P99. Of course this is all just word games and jail time isn't worth it. No need for more good people to be labeled a criminal.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The PC specifically states that one can't 'sell, import, or manufacture' a hi-cap magazine. Seems they left out buy but that is up for the DA to decide.
CA Penal Code 12020 is available online as is the CA DOJ's interpretation of it. The penal code has a broad prohibition against detachable magazines with a capacity that exceeds ten rounds made or imported after January 1, 2000. While there are exceptions (notably for law enforcement and licensed dealers), regular CA residents are prohibited from making them, getting them, and transferring them to other CA residents. Not surprisingly, CA DOJ has the following interpretation of the penal code:

"However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers."

With statutory interpretation, provisions are like threads in a tapestry. You cannot focus on one to the exclusion of the others when the other provisions would help explain or give meaning to it. Also, you are not supposed to interpret it in a way that makes the provision self-defeating/contradictory if there is a way to read it where it can make sense. -From your description, those guys and gals are attempting to view provisions in isolation and without context in an effort to find daylight. That is a bad idea.

Again, I suggest caution. When you start arguing definitions with lawyers, you might be surprised to learn that common words often have definitions in a legal context that go beyond common usage. Many criminals have been surprised to find that using toy guns, unloaded guns, or broken guns in the commission of a crime do not lessen the charge or constitute much of a defense. -It would be very easy to argue that an alteration of a magazine to make it capable of doing something that is prohibited would be a type of manufacturing activity for the purpose and intent of the statute.

While I personally disagree with many CA gun laws, this is not the place to seek or explore ways to circumvent them. You are in a public forum and some "word games" or theoretical discussions about getting around a law will just invite trouble for you and us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.