Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Walther P22 service in Europe may have hit a wall.

I don't know why but there is no reply to communication sent regarding the cracked slide replacement, since the P22 is covered by a life-time guarantee.

I just got my cracked P22 slide back (not replaced with a new one), as Walther does not provide replacements any longer, I was told.

:(

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
....."Walther does not provide replacements any longer, I was told."

What reason was given for not replacing the cracked slide?

Was this info provided to you verbally or in writing?

Is this 9mm based P22 still in production?

Has the frame/barrel/slide been modified in any way?

So many details to a situation such as this, yet TOTAL lack of details in initial post.

Help us help YOU!

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Forum member guymalloc confused the gas/signal gun in 9mm PAK with the rimfire version of the gun. The OP is talking of the rimfire P22 of course.

The Walther Legendary Lifetime Limited Warranty applies to the US exclusively. In theory, it doesn't even cover guns that are no longer manufactured. However, the support is more generous typically.

European customers on the other hand are presumed to have enough money to buy a new gun after the legal guarantee has expired. :mad:

·
Registered
33 Posts
You may want to try buying a new slide from either Europe or the US office. Not the best way but worth a shot.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Okay to start contacting the US is a waste of your time. They can not export anything firearm related outside the US. Just ask our friends in Canada.

Next the Lifetime warranty is only for the US market. My understanding is all other markets are covered by a one year warranty.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The slide of a P22 is rather poorly engineered and cracks easily. My 2001-vintage model had already three (3) cracked slides replaced in 2004, 2011 and 2014. The last replacement slide cracked again in December 2016 and all of a sudden Walther in Germany has disowned its product refusing to have anything to do with it, and customer service be damned.

The pistol was sold in Europe with an explicit lifetime service guarantee, which appears to be now discontinued and invalid, without notice. :(

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
....."Walther does not provide replacements any longer, I was told."

What reason was given for not replacing the cracked slide?

Was this info provided to you verbally or in writing?

Is this 9mm based P22 still in production?

Has the frame/barrel/slide been modified in any way?

So many details to a situation such as this, yet TOTAL lack of details in initial post.

Help us help YOU!
This has been going on for over two years, has been thoroughly discussed by Crete. I've checked with Ft. Smith....no go legally. No go for me too....I cannot ship a slide out of country. This is what the threads about repairing a cast zinc slide are about. I've already made my position clear.....if Walther will not replace a part that has a long history of cracking on the P22....I wouldn't buy one. 1917

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I've shot five or six P22s extensively and never broken a slide. I let Pilkguns shoot old reliable and the slide broke in two, hit him in the mouth on the first shot. He beat the heck out of me for that. I called Ft Smith on Monday and a new slide was in the mailbox on Wednesday. I requested a Q model as they are thicker and that is what I got. Pilkguns has wrists of steel....fists too. 1917

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It's a disgrace. If the slides are breaking and flying off and hitting the shooter, it's only a matter of time before somebody gets hit in the eye. In a lawsuit, that's when Umarex's clear knowledge and disregard of this defect and its failure to recall these POSs kicks in punitive damages. Arnsburg will get what it deserves.

M

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Zinc slides have NO place on a real firearm, not even a 22LR.

This is nothing more then cost reduction in it's most dangerous form.

Makes me want to buy a few more P5s.

Reactions: Fritzdecatze

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
The pistol was sold in Europe with an explicit lifetime service guarantee, which appears to be now discontinued and invalid, without notice. :(
I've never noticed that Walther would have offered a kind of lifetime warranty in Europe. Who was advertising this guarantee? An uninformed dealer perhaps?

Next the Lifetime warranty is only for the US market. My understanding is all other markets are covered by a one year warranty.
In most European countries there is a warranty of two years in accordance with EU directives. This information can be found in the multilingual manuals (German, French, Italian, Spanish) as well as on the website of Carl Walther Germany.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
In 2001, when the P22 came out the dealers flogged it as being covered with a "Lifetime Warranty", which was honoured (four times in my case), every time the slide cracked. The choice was either a brand new P22 or a replacement slide with the same S/N # on it, as the receiver (which is how the P22 is sold in Europe).

This seems to have changed. What is the date in the multilingual manuals you have seen?

My guess is that something changed on the 1st of January 2017. After that date all communication with Walther in Germany and elsewhere in the EU has been plagued with complications, imprecision of vague circulars "...re this matter will be dealt by such and such person /name instead of the usual Public Relations and sales spokesperson", who meanwhile disappeared, or deafening silence as they stopped replying to emails and never pick up the phone since May 2017.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
There's a lesson to be learned in this. NEVER buy ANYTHING, EVER based in it's awesome warranty!

Purchase QUALITY! Buy once, cry once!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts