Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just want to explain my interest in the P5/P5C design, after having hijacked some other posts these last days.

As a technical freak, I have always been attracted by original engineering. The pivoting locking block as designed by Fritz Walther is an interesting departure from the classic Browning system. In the P5/P5C, Walther has put the P38 design to perfection - my point. I really love the double function lever, even my Swiss blood must admit that it is much better and smarter than the SIG system.

Here, the classic leo pistol is still the SIG P225/8, as in most German Länder. As others, I feel that the P5 was the best competitor during the German police tests at the end of the 70s. To sorry that most länder (and swiss cantons) didn't recognised it and choose the P6 (P225) that was less innovative and smooth to shoot - I had the opportunity to test by myself.

So these are my arguments - if passion stands argue. Avid to read yours...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The P5 or P5c is next on my Walther list. Even though the double action is still stiff, the engineering is just fantastic, even though some say they are over-engineered. I have found accuracy in Walther handguns that other mfgr's cannot match (even Sigs). I have acquired a '76 P1, '68 PP and P99QA. Only the P1 suffers a little in the accuracy, but it equals the Sigs I owned. My QA is target grade accurate!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Laurent - Thanks for your thoughts - Like Banddr & you I also find the P5 an interesting design in a compelling package - trigger notwithstanding

My next purchase will definitely be a P5c.
I wonder what your thoughts are on the P7M8 and it's design? This is my absolute favorite of all and seems like I recall it was a competitor to the P5.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The DA trigger pull of the P5 gets better with use and age. Like a fine wine. However, it is a service pistol. No safety, only a decocker.

Personally I would hate to have it with a 5# trigger pull. In the middle of a snowstorm, wearing gloves, in a shoot-em-up situation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello BHP,

Had the opportunity to shoot a HK P7. Nice gun indeed: compact, low on the hand, smart design with the delayed gaz action too. But I would feel uneasy with the special handling and light trigger. Maybe a reminicence of the many ADs that occured in the German Länder - Bavaria and others - that adopted it for police service. The safety margin, as with the "Safe" Action of the Glock, is very thin. Of course, a faulty finger on the trigger is almost always the cause, but how will I react in a stressfull situation?

BHP, your memory is right, the HK P7 was the third gun selected for police use in Germany at the end of the 70s, along the P5 and P6. If you are interested I can find which Länder choose what.

About P5, I had the opportunity to handle one saturday at my range: NIB, unfired and very smooth action and decocking lever. I was really impressed as the action of my lamented P5C was on the stiff side. A client is selling it at a stellar price (1550 francs, about 1100 $). I may go that way if I can handle it down.

Bye

L.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi L,
Thanks for your thoughts. You're spot on about the trigger - for me it is sweet perfection but does require strict finger discipline. I'm looking for the P5/P5c for my wife just for the safety factor of the DA pull and the decock. I gave her a SigPro but she wants something a little more refined in 9 since I have so many P7s
I saw two P5s this weekend at a gunshow - Both NIB but the IE was a little tweek better than the other, later datecoded pistol. They both were equally nice looking but the IE felt smoother - the decock and mag release just functioned more smoothly. Both dealers were excited that I was looking at their P5 since hardly anyone else had - I passed on them both holding out for a compact or special forces model.
Cheers,
b-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts