Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AS trigger on the P 99 gives you the choice of the heavier trigger or the lighter trigger. And I love it for that. So why not carry the lighter trigger. It is no lighter than the trigger on the PPQ and people who carry it do not seem to mind the trigger at all. Especially why not carry it on the lighter side if you feel the situation warrants or you think you may be going in harm's way.

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Get out the butter for your popcorn folks! This will be a long thread...

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Personal choice. I carry PPQ's most of the time. You're right, when you rack the slide on a P99, it puts the trigger in AS mode....long/full, light pull...pretty much same pull weight as a PPQ....so what's the difference? A longer pull.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The AS trigger on the P 99 gives you the choice of the heavier trigger or the lighter trigger. And I love it for that. So why not carry the lighter trigger. It is no lighter than the trigger on the PPQ and people who carry it do not seem to mind the trigger at all. Especially why not carry it on the lighter side if you feel the situation warrants or you think you may be going in harm's way.
Without firing the pistol, how do you get the P99 trigger into AS mode without violating one of the top 3 rules of firearm safety? (Reminder: ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun.)

As I own a P99c AS, I'll spare you the thinking and tell you that you can't. And that, sir, is why despite loving the P99 and P99c AS, I don't carry mine as an EDC. Plainly put, I prefer light SA triggers as they reduce sympathetic muscle movements in the hand when firing (resulting in greater accuracy than with heavier trigger pulls) … but I'm not willing to intentionally handle a firearm unsafely to get a light SA trigger in an EDC when there are so many other firearm choices that don't require intentionally unsafe handling to get said same.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Without firing the pistol, how do you get the P99 trigger into AS mode without violating one of the top 3 rules of firearm safety?
From Stickies

AS Mode
The AS mode is automatically engage after a round is chambered. The trigger is fully forward, as if in double action, but the striker indicator is to the rear and visible. This mode offers the safety of carrying the P99 AS in single action with a light yet long trigger pull.

DA Mode
The Double Action mode is achieved after a round is chambered and the decocking button is depressed, releasing the striker into a double action trigger pull. In this mode the trigger is fully forward and the striker is at rest and no longer visible to the rear of the slide. After the trigger is first pulled, all subsequent shots will be in single action. This mode is considered, among fellow P99 AS owners, to be the safest mode to carry the AS in.

SA Mode
The SA mode of carry for the P99 AS is Single Action. This mode can be achieved by chambering a round, which also places the trigger all the way forward and into the AS mode, then slowly pulling the trigger to the rear until you hear the SA portion of the sear engage. You’ll hear a ‘click’ and the trigger will remain in this rearward (actually middle/center) position. This mode will also automatically engage after the first trigger pull in double action mode.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Without firing the pistol, how do you get the P99 trigger into AS mode without violating one of the top 3 rules of firearm safety?
Easy, do a full rack of the slide, that'll chamber a round and put the trigger in AS mode (fully forward, long light pull).

Or if you've got one in the chamber and you're in DA mode, move the slide 3/8" to the rear and back forward, that'll cock the striker and put the trigger in AS mode.

Or, if you're in SA mode, same as above, move the slide 3/8" to the rear and back forward, that'll cock the striker and put the trigger in AS mode.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Practice shooting the DA shot is all you need to do. That’s the benefit of this gun from my perspective. Practice, practice, practice in DA mode. Shooting it in SA mode is about as sweet as it gets but if you can’t handle the DA shot then I would suggest getting something else.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The Old Flatulent One dropping knowledge bombs again...

Went and tested it on my 99c and worked!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm with muckaleewarrior71, the P99 was designed so that you don't have a happy accidental trigger pull. If you're going to pull the trigger, you're required to put in the work. I might get some heat for this, but I'd love it for police departments to carry DA/SA pistols. I don't know why anyone would rack the slide and throw it in the holster. LF trouble.
Also LOL @ first reply!

Edit: Also DA/SA I mean things sexy german machines like the P99, P30, p226

Also the best guns start with P, who knew!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... So why not carry the lighter trigger. It is no lighter than the trigger on the PPQ and people who carry it do not seem to mind the trigger at all. Especially why not carry it on the lighter side if you feel the situation warrants or you think you may be going in harm's way.
Sure. The same logic justifies carrying around a holstered revolver with the hammer cocked.

M

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
One other point is that the physical trigger is different on P99AS and PPQ. The PPQ has a trigger safety blade (I know this is a point of contention among many gun enthusiasts, as to how effective a safety this type is.) which is similar to other manufacturers who produce fully cocked or partially cocked, striker fired pistols. One of the issues that creates the conditions around the origins of the term “Glock Leg Syndrome” is stuff getting inside the trigger guard when holstering or manipulating such pistols. These incidents happen in spite of a trigger blade safety. The P99 AS does not even have this device to prevent the trigger from rearward travel if something like clothing gets into the trigger guard while handling the pistol. So, single action mode with the AS has even one less layer of safety when returning a pistol to a holster under stress or even under no stress. Decocking before holstering is a safety measure, restoring any DA handgun to its “safer” trigger mode.

Kind of like in flying, where taking off and landing are the most likely administrative events to carry the most danger of injury or death to the operator, drawing and holstering are the handgunning equivalent.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
The P99 DOES have a drop safety that operates much like the center blade in the PPQ. On the P99, when you put your finger on the trigger shoe and begin to press, the first thing that happens during the initial movement is the trigger 'shoe' pivots before the trigger bar EVER starts to move. This pivoting motion does the exact same thing the center blade on the PPQ does.

I guess the moral to the (Glock leg) story is one should not let any donut chunks get lodged in the trigger guard when reholstering. :D

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The P99 DOES have a drop safety that operates much like the center blade in the PPQ. On the P99, when you put your finger on the trigger shoe and begin to press, the first thing that happens during the initial movement is the trigger 'shoe' pivots before the trigger bar EVER starts to move. This pivoting motion does the exact same thing the center blade on the PPQ does.

oldfart is absolutely correct. But it should also be understood that a "drop safety" is all that either one is, i.e., it protects against inertial movement of the trigger if the gun is dropped and lands hard. Neither one is designed to prevent firing if the trigger is depressed by someone or something.

M

·
Registered
21 Posts
Learned something new about my AS. Didn’t realize the trigger shoe acted as a drop safety.

While I agree that anything getting in the trigger guard on a striker fired pistol can actuate the trigger. I see the Glock style blade style trigger safety touted as a safety against rearward travel if you got something in the sides of the trigger guard without getting fully on the face of the trigger. I always thought, “well if something gets inside the trigger guard on part of the trigger, why wouldn’t it get onto the blade as well?”.

Guess I got conditioned to the crummy explainations of “experts” as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The P99 AS does not even have this device to prevent the trigger from rearward travel if something like clothing gets into the trigger guard while handling the pistol. So, single action mode with the AS has even one less layer of safety when returning a pistol to a holster under stress or even under no stress. Decocking before holstering is a safety measure, restoring any DA handgun to its “safer” trigger mode.
In all versions of the P99 the rear of the striker protrudes through a hole in the back-plate of the slide. If the thumb is held over the hole when holstering, a rearward movement of the striker will be immediately perceptible. Nonetheless, re-holstering the P99 AS in SA mode would not be very smart.

Balor

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why not carry the AS trigger on the light side

I'm told that most Chinese police officers carry the P99 AS on the light side.

(runs for cover.......)

Balor

1 - 20 of 64 Posts