Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
If you read the books he didn't always use the PPK either. He owned a 38 Colt with a "sawn barrel" and a “long barreled Colt Army Special .45” (likely a single action revolver but I always thought he meant a 1911 automatic) which he kept under the dash of his battleship grey Bentley among other weapons so he could use any number of weapons but in the movies the good folks at Walther managed a nice bit of produce placement with the P99, as did BMW.

Reactions: Kalinka63

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Has anyone ever read the script of "Skyfall"? Does it really say "PPK/S"? Actually, I never heard the slash in the movie. I wonder how shamelessly journalists are always copying everything... ...including all the mistakes and inconsistencies. At least there is something new to read in the text for a change: "Hechler & Koch UMP-9". So let us wait and see when we will meet this "Hechler" again. :oops:

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
We don't count the Beretta 25. That was a lady's gun and not a very nice lady at that.

Reactions: Kalinka63

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe he was relieved of his Beretta .25 ACP by Q who replaced it with the PPK in .32 ACP because it hit "like a brick in a plate glass window". Q didn't get out much, apparently.
Model 418 Beretta to be exact if my memory serves. NOT the tip up barrel type most folks expect. While writing the Bond Books in Jamaica I recall hearing, Ian Fleming who was the "real deal" in WWII matters - was poked fun at by his Military Chums...who thought of the neat little Beretta as a mouse gun....not worthy of James Bond.

While that flat and concealable little Beretta (yes I own one of them) is NO man stopper to be sure.... the resultant move from its pip-squeek little .25 a.c.p. moving on up to "Q" first giving him a PP....and then later PPK at least moves Bond into the realms of 7.65 and .380 ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh "no"....Now I must re-watch Dr. NO and determine if it was "M" who made him give up his beloved Beretta in favor of the bigger Walther.

P.S.

My hunch is that "Q" did not make that the demand in that first movie....and that only Jame's BOSS...."M"
could dictate such a switch.

Then again - when we have to Hunker-In-The-Bunker too long.....the mind tends to wander.
We don't count the Beretta 25. That was a lady's gun and not a very nice lady at that.

James Bond WIKI....explains the Novels' Background Beretta 418 and eventually even a M1934 before being forced by "M" to switch to Walther. Seems in the book, that James got his silencer on the Beretta caught in his waistband and ended up injured. That prompted "M" putting his foot down on the change.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hope this is the appropriate sub forum for such a posting...I know in my case I only considered buying a Walther, both because of the Bond connection AND Walther’s history AND Walther’s build quality.

Because time moves on and better products have been made by Walther. It's a dated, small caliber, heavy pistol by modern standards. A PPS or PPQ Sc makes more sense today.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Rumor has it Bond got tired of the slide bite, less than perfect reliability and inability to use modern hollowpoint ammunition.

This could be as true as anything else being said as the whole thing is a made up fantasy.

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Like many of us he knew how to hold his Walther and it never bite him. :)

Reactions: XRing

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's been many years since I read Fleming's books, but I seem to recall the handgun Bond kept in his Bentley was described as a long barrel 45, which could mean a 1873 or one of the later Colt double action revolvers such as a 1909 chambered in 45 Colt or 455 Webley, or even a 1917 chambered in 45 ACP. He mentions a safety catch at one point, which infers it was a 1911 semiautomatic pistol in either 45 ACP or 455 Webley Auto. It should be remembered that Fleming was not a gun guy and never went into much detail describing the firearms. In fact there is still debate over which model Beretta Bond carried. All we really know is it was a 25 ACP with a skeleton grip. It is presumed to have been the Model 418, though Fleming never actually says. When an avid English firearms enthusiast named Geoffrey Boothroyd complained to Fleming that the Beretta was a pipsqueak lady's gun, Fleming consulted him for recommended upgrades. He even introduced a "Major" Boothroyd as the Armorer for the novel "Dr. No" in which Bond is forced to switch to the Walther PPK in 32 ACP and given a S&W Centennial 38 Special, presumably as replacement for his "long barrel" 45 and the Colt Police Positive 38 with the "sawn barrel"? As for the latter, we don't know if it was chambered for the 38 Special or 38 Colt New Police (38 S&W) cartridge? It's all rather trivial, but fun to debate.

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Exactly my points Paladin. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rumor has it Bond got tired of the slide bite, less than perfect reliability and inability to use modern hollowpoint ammunition.

This could be as true as anything else being said as the whole thing is a made up fantasy.
Those are the reason I replaced mine.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Seems to me that Bond's backstory has changed over the years. Connery was more the ex-naval officer who moved into intelligence as befits a gentleman class. When you get to Brosnan and, moreso, Craig, you get the feeling of a more SAS type with more history in black ops, thus, more particular about weaponry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts