Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that before you would place a brand new pistol on the market that you would create enough surplus parts inventory to supply the majority of guns you have manufactured. Is it just me or has Walther dropped the ball on being able to actually supply the "free" optics plates for the red dots they list here:

DOCTOR
TRIJICON RMR, SRO & HOLOSUN 407C,507C & 508T, Riton X3 PRD
LEUPOLD DELTA POINT PRO, SHIELD RMS
VORTEX VIPER

I don't understand the delay in sending an optics plate to someone who has already purchased one of their PDP pistols, filled out the form weeks ago and still no plate has been delivered. If you can't meet market demand for your firearm parts, contract someone who is capable of doing so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's quite possible the reason for delay on plates are the sales of the PDP far exceeded their expectations.

Projecting which plates will be of the most demand could be another issue.

I'm curious if there's specific plates that people get quickly versus delayed.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Or....possibly...because...they didn't want to sit on production of guns until they got all the optic plates in?

I mean, not like there aren't massive supply chain issues in pretty much every industry right now.

Cost of steel has only tripled in the past 6 months.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Walther just seems backed up in general. I’m not sure if Walther makes their plates in house but they withdrew my order for the co witness plate on my q5 sf because of a “safety issue”. They’ve yet to elaborate on what that even means.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I decided to not wait. So I ordered a CHWPS Plate for RMR/Holsosun 507C X2. It arrived in 5 days. Better plate from what I understand, but I did drop $79 on total (after shipping). No regrets however.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sad thing is I bought the PDP solely for the ability to put a red dot (a Vortex Viper) on it. I have the Viper to put on it but no plate yet. Granted the chinese virus has slowed most everything down in the supply chain these days but I think Walther's marketing and sales people could have done a better job on the plate issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve been waiting for an RMR plate for just over two weeks now. Two issues I see: one is the long wait time, the other is the lack of communication.

There are several ways Walther could forecast how many of each plate type they need to produce and have in stock: industry sales estimates of red dots by brand/model, talk to their partners to find out the ratio they sell, or do a survey. Then produce plates in that ratio plus a buffer at a rate equal to or higher than the rate they are shipping pistols.

In terms of communication, I’ve never ordered anything else from Walther directly but there are lots of order/inventory management systems out there that are designed for e-commerce and do all of the communication for you including status of your order. There are also several companies that could do the fulfillment for them.

If they have the plates in stock, it shouldn’t take more than 5 business days for anyone in the continental US receive a plate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Or....possibly...because...they didn't want to sit on production of guns until they got all the optic plates in?

I mean, not like there aren't massive supply chain issues in pretty much every industry right now.

Cost of steel has only tripled in the past 6 months.
I can't see any reason Walther can't do two related things concurrently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's quite possible the reason for delay on plates are the sales of the PDP far exceeded their expectations.

Projecting which plates will be of the most demand could be another issue.

I'm curious if there's specific plates that people get quickly versus delayed.
I requested a Viper plate on March 25th. It's going on 24 "working" days now for me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts