Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the S&W P99 series. I have looked around for sometime. I can easily find anything but the AS system.. Why.. I think it is more standard compared to the QA (Unless your a DAO/Glock/LEM person)..

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Yes, they are hard to find. I had to have my dealer order mine - and he checked a few of his distributors before he found 1.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had to check with five local dealers, three online guys, two wholesalers and then finally WaltherAmerica(S&W) before being able to locate mine. It is sometimes a tought search, but the reward of finally getting the AS far outweighed the challenge of finding one.

Wait till you try and find high cap factory Walther mags.... :eek:

·
Registered
335 Posts
When Shipwreck browbeat me into buying a P99c/AS several months back I just called my local ffl dealer and told him that I specifically wanted a Walther P99c/AS. He is NOT a large dealer by any means, and I have no clue as to how many distributers he uses but he had absolutely no trouble finding one for me.

When the P99c/AS came it was a piece of crap.. Inaccurate, unreliable, I had all sorts of problems with that ugly sucker. ;) So I ordered a full size P99/AS from the same local dealer, and again he had no trouble finding me one. Same story on the full size.

Actually, as an overall package, I have found both the Walther compact and full size P99/AS pistols to be the the best handguns I've ever owned, or even shot. I know, for whatever reason, both of my P99/AS's are the absolute most accurate pistols I've ever had.

I never hear it talked about, but several of the little details I especially like on my P99's are the visual red "chamber loaded", and the visual red "cocked" indicators. Also, the ambi mag release design and function incorporated into the bottom of the trigger guard is imo the way all pistol mag releases should work.

Someone at Walther Headquarters in Germany spent a great deal of time and thought designing the Walther P99 series of pistols.. Too bad they only seem to be spending absolutely ZERO time actually marketing those very same excellent pistols to the American firearm buyers. Whoever is in charge of marketing to the U.S. for Walther should be slapped up "side the hedd", because he/she/them are asleep at the wheel.

I did find out that having the correct grip backstrap can affect that accuracy tho.. When you get your P99/AS (or P99c/AS) try your accuracy with the one that comes on it, then replace the grip backstrap with the optional one (or 2 w/full size) that come with the pistol. I found there was a definite increase in accuracy for me with the small grip backstrap on the compact.. Both sizes "felt" just fine, but the I consistently fire tighter groups with the small grip backstrap on the P99c/AS.

Hang in there and sooner or later you'll find an "AS".. I really think the wait will be worth it for you..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the same experience. After Shipwreck convinced me to buy a P99c I went to a local gun shop, very small one in fact, and ordered it. No probem. One week later I had the gun. This was just a few months ago.

Ron

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've made some online inquiries, called three local gunshops - none of which could find one through their wholesalers...still waiting to hear back from a couple of others...I'm sure one will turn up soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same experience. After Shipwreck convinced me to buy a P99c I went to a local gun shop, very small one in fact, and ordered it. No probem. One week later I had the gun. This was just a few months ago.

Ron
I think just that couple of months has made a big difference! I've been in touch with Walther/S&W and even they are having trouble hooking me up with a distributor that has one.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many dealers tell you they can find you something and come back with No, I can't. I guess thats part of the problem with not dealing direct - going through a middle man..

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If a P99 in the AS configuration can not be found through a shop that you regularly deal with, contact Walther America. They will arrange to have one sent to your FFL. They maintain inventory in their vault.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I contacted Walther America and they referred me to RSR distributors - who was out. Told Walther that RSR had none and they were unable to provide any other options. Rossini was the guys name at Walther..think it was Tom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Tenex, I contacted them yesterday still waiting to hear back from them.
I apologize for not getting back to you.. I am a part time opeation and have a hard time keeping up with all the phone calls/emails sometimes.

Shoot me an email or call oafter 5pm mountain time with the model # you are looking for and I can order it in for you.

Mike
406-781-1227
www.BigSkyGuns.com

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
well look at this, there is a dealer on our Forum :D
welcome to the Forum :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts