Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post on here very often, as I'm more of a SIG fanboy, owing mostly to starting out with a P228 years ago and putting over 7000 rounds through it before I ever bought another pistol. But back in 2010 when I decided I needed something between the 228 and the tiny Ruger LCP, the PPS was a great alternative that I really bonded with. Then when the M2 came out I couldn't resist....

So for three years or so I carried the M2 almost exclusively. I trained with it all the time and carried it appendix in a kydex Fierce Defender Paladin. Great package that I feel super confident with because of all the draw-and-shoot practice I've done with that setup.

Then, like everybody, I was intrigued with the single-stack 12-round 365. After a year, when it seemed the bugs had been worked out, I bought one. I thought it would be inferior to the Walther in the shooting, given the considerable size difference, but that wasn't what I found. I can shoot both of them with equal results, slow-fire or rapid. My 22-year vet cop brother carries the PPS M2 AIWB also, and he borrowed my SIG and after a couple magazines practice, started demonstrating the same proficiency with the little gun as he does with the PPS.

So I put both PPSs in the big safe and started using the LCP, P365, and P320 .357SIG as my 3-gun rotation, wearing the largest one of those I could reliably conceal with whatever I was wearing. Been that way for over a year.

But I just realized that I don't draw the 365 anywhere near as easily or confidently as the Walther. The SIG sits down much farther into the waist, and getting my 3 fingers between the grip and my belt is problematic. Oh, it can be done, and I've been practicing that way for a year. But I had a real gut-check moment (only in simulation, not real life, thank God) last week. I was practicing draw/double-tap drills and stopped to ask myself if I were facing an honest-to-God bad guy and my life maybe depended on a clean, fast no-fumbles draw, would I be willing to give it a go with the SIG, or was I just not confident, and I realized... maybe not. Nothing definitive, and of course who can say what they would decide when under pressure. But I've just never been able to get comfortable yanking that little gun out at speed, much less under duress.

So I came home and went to the big safe. Perhaps my memory of the great draw-action of the PPS was just rose colored glasses. I pulled it out, stuck it (empty) in my belt. Grabbed my shirttail, pinned it, hand flew to the superbly ergonomic grip of the M2, fingers closed around, gun came clean with a quick lift, and without conscious thought the left hand was joining the right in a perfect firing grip. Put it back and did it again. Did it in front of the mirror. Did it with a heavier shirt on. Everything I tried just reminded me of how much better I can handle that PPS (either one of them, the Classic or M2) in a drawing situation.

So I've added the M2 back to my carry collection, between the 365 and the 320. I always used to think "why carry a lower capacity gun of the same caliber just because it's bigger and I can conceal it?" Now I have the answer to that question.

I've also done a couple things to the M2 to bring it closer to the 365 in other ways: both guns (all my guns, actually) wear Talon rubberized grip tapes. I added TruGlo Tritium Pro sights (the SIG comes with night sights); and I just added the Magguts +1 to my 8-rounder, giving me 10 rounds to the 13 of the SIG. I'm starting to think I have the perfect carry gun now!

So I still carry the SIG because there are times I've just got on a tee-shirt and shorts, and it really seems like it's 30% smaller than the Walther (maybe not that much but it's not "just a little bit smaller.") But I always try the PPS first, and only go to the SIG if I (or my wife) can see it printing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My PPSM2 handles all of my summertime and/or small carry needs going on 4 years. I picked up a P365 in a store a while back and politely put it back down. It's so tiny I can hardly get a good grip on it. At least I gave it a try.

Reactions: CA SURVIVOR

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
My PPSM2 handles all of my summertime and/or small carry needs going on 4 years. I picked up a P365 in a store a while back and politely put it back down. It's so tiny I can hardly get a good grip on it. At least I gave it a try.
I gave up my 365 XL for the M2. Thing is I loved the XL but put the M2 in my hand and said this is the one. Full disclosure a friend who works at the LGS said "Hey check out this Walther" then I said this is the one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I gotta say that when I started my search for a new conceal carry, it started with a compact Baretta 92fs. I have carried a 92 for 31 years, so it was a natural choice for me.. but it really isnt compact, lol.. I did a lot of reading and created a list of candidates for myself..

The following the list. CZ SP-01 compact, Sig 320 Carry, Glock 43x, and the Walther PPS.. Through friends and ranges I was able to handle and shoot all of the above.. The CZ was was amazing acrross the board, trigger, accuracy, and feel.. I attribute this to my Beretta. It set up, felt, and shot similar to my 92. Even the size of the grip felt like home. The Glock was a no go.. I just can't seem to bond with Glock. The Sig felt really good as well, but I wasn't a fan of how proprietary their system is.. It shot, felt, and sighted really well. I really liked the way it naturally came to my eye.. For me the breaker was its strength, the modularity.. I dont want to buy extra frames to get the grip just right. I do like the slip in back straps that others use and include on purchase. Keep in mind all this time that I was trying pistols, my daughter was going to the range with me and i was shooting her PPS.

The PPS just won me over by shear consistency and feel.. it is a great pistol.. there are better, but for me it is just right..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great perspective. I think your on to something. Needs to be a middle of the road so to speak. Kind of an in between. I think all of the major players should offer. I would love to a walther with tad shorter barrel, bit wider grip for say 10 rounds, then the extension, could offer +2 etc. Could be best of both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The PPS is a sweet little shooter and carries real nice but it's a pistol I never could quite warm up to. I found a used but LNIB example at a gunshow and practically threw my money at the guy... It got a couple good visits to the range but since then it's just kind of languished in the safe. I was always more comfortable with the capacity of my P99C or if I felt I really needed to go small then a micro .380 ACP filled the role better than the PPS.

The P365 has pretty much replaced my P99C these days as my serious business carry pistol. I don't want to talk you out of carrying the PPS as it really is a nice shooter but...

I'd suggest that if the P365 is sitting too low on the waist and your belt is causing issues on the draw that you might just need a different holster instead of a different pistol. I, personally, use a Will's Tier 1 Kydex IWB holster with a pretty aggressive forward cant and it presents me a nice full grip every time and without fuss.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd suggest that if the P365 is sitting too low on the waist and your belt is causing issues on the draw that you might just need a different holster instead of a different pistol. I, personally, use a Will's Tier 1 Kydex IWB holster with a pretty aggressive forward cant and it presents me a nice full grip every time and without fuss.
Thank you for your suggestion. I just looked at Will’s site, and unless they have something I can’t find on there, it doesn’t look like they offer an IWB with cant. There’s a dearth of pictures, and the only IWB seems to be the Defender, unless I’m missing something. The single picture of the Defender with a pistol in it, installed in somebody’s waist, has a tee shirt partially covering the grip, so I can’t say for certain, but nothing about any of the pictures looks canted, and the pistol rides very low in that one picture. Is there another model besides the Defender? There’s no choice in the ordering menu for selecting cant, like there is in some other holsters I have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion. I just looked at Will’s site, and unless they have something I can’t find on there, it doesn’t look like they offer an IWB with cant. There’s a dearth of pictures, and the only IWB seems to be the Defender, unless I’m missing something. The single picture of the Defender with a pistol in it, installed in somebody’s waist, has a tee shirt partially covering the grip, so I can’t say for certain, but nothing about any of the pictures looks canted, and the pistol rides very low in that one picture. Is there another model besides the Defender? There’s no choice in the ordering menu for selecting cant, like there is in some other holsters I have.
I bought my holster in person at a local gun show so I'm not sure which model I have. It reads P365RHI on the inside of it. That might help them figure out which model. I think the defender offers more forward cant than the pictures really show. I'd send them an e-mail and ask them to make a holster similar to mine or to your specs. I'd note that the cant is adjustable on my holster and it's set to the 'most forward' point of adjustment.

Here are some pictures of my holster. Note how the grip sits well above the belt line. It allows me to easily get a nice purchase on the pistol and keeps it well concealed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts