Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I remember at shot show Walther stated that the reason the do not have a micro compact 9 is because of the import laws into the US. I know they can cause issues importing small guns. They are a reason the PPK is manufactured in the US. However the Springfield Hellcat is made in Croatia. So there must be things that can be done to make small guns legal to import. Which makes me wonder even more why Walther doesn't do what ever Springfield did.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am not making excuses for Walther however they don't seem to be the only ones slow to pick up on the trends. Neither Beretta, CZ, HK, or FN seem to be jumping in with micro 9s. What is even more confusing is that Beretta, CZ, & FN all recently came out with new single stacks.

Administrator
Well I am not making excuses for Walther however they don't seem to be the only ones slow to pick up on the trends. Neither Beretta, CZ, HK, or FN seem to be jumping in with micro 9s. What is even more confusing is that Beretta, CZ, & FN all recently came out with new single stacks.
I'm guessing this is due to the long gestation periods associated with new products from these companies.

In these case of CZ, they developed their single-stack 9mm a few years back but couldn't import it. They are manufacturing it here now but most would say they missed the window.

Registered
From what I remember at shot show Walther stated that the reason the do not have a micro compact 9 is because of the import laws into the US. I know they can cause issues importing small guns. They are a reason the PPK is manufactured in the US. However the Springfield Hellcat is made in Croatia. So there must be things that can be done to make small guns legal to import. Which makes me wonder even more why Walther doesn't do what ever Springfield did.
Walther also imports/used to import anyway the P99 and PPQ with those fragile adjustable sights for "sporting" points, whereas Glocks come with the soccer goal sights we all love to hate so much. Yet the PPS comes with fixed, drift adjustable sights (that also fit the PPQ, in case you're wondering).

Registered
It is troubling that they don't compete with the newer micro's. I choose to not carry extra magazines so i have become a capacity whore. i would love a M2 13round option
So would I.

Recently I bought a Shield Optics Ready with flat trigger and 13-round magazine capacity. I had, and sold, a first edition Shield. Later I looked at the PPS M2 side by side with a Shield 2.0 version. Easy decision to buy the Walther and I did. But now I would like to see Walther come out with a 12 or 13 round version of the PPS. It is surprising how little difference in grip there is between the standard Shield and the 13-round Shield. Add a flat trigger and the PPS would be a real contender in the smaller high round capacity carry gun game.

But, that's just me.

Registered
I also recently picked up a Shield Plus Optics version in the Bugout Bundle deal they offered. I had an original Shield and sold it years ago in favor of my PPS M2. The Shield Plus is great. It has the optics cut (which I won't use), night sights, the flat trigger, great grip texture and of course 10 and 13 round mags. I received five mags with my package and a fifty dollar rebate visa card. This is my new summer carry after putting a few hundred rounds through her.

Registered
I also recently picked up a Shield Plus Optics version in the Bugout Bundle deal they offered. I had an original Shield and sold it years ago in favor of my PPS M2. The Shield Plus is great. It has the optics cut (which I won't use), night sights, the flat trigger, great grip texture and of course 10 and 13 round mags. I received five mags with my package and a fifty dollar rebate visa card. This is my new summer carry after putting a few hundred rounds through her.
I've got a Shield Plus and the best thing about it is the trigger, which is fantastic for any gun and especially a micro compact. Downside is..good luck loading the mags without a mag loader. Then when loaded try racking the slide. Also try thumbing the slide release to bring into battery. Both are virtually impossible. Still pleased with the firearm even with the quirks.

Banned
The PPS slide is a half an inch taller than the P365. With stock sights on the PPS and no sights on the P365, the PPS is a full inch taller than the P365. Aligning on triggers, the PPS is 2 inches taller than the P365. The dust cover on the PPS is a full 2xs larger than the P365.

I'm going to throw it out there. I don't think Walther is capable of doing it.

In this thread you have more than 1 buyer of a micro stack. Not a whole lot of people are looking for a "full sized" and that's what we got with the PDP. Even if they make the PDP a compact, who cares. My P365 can go from 10 to 15 with with a factory mag. With the 4" P365 due out soon? Eek.

I'd buy it too. But my feelings aren't in it any more. Walther really is a terrible company for getting us what we want.

Registered
The PPS slide is a half an inch taller than the P365. With stock sights on the PPS and no sights on the P365, the PPS is a full inch taller than the P365. Aligning on triggers, the PPS is 2 inches taller than the P365. The dust cover on the PPS is a full 2xs larger than the P365.

I'm going to throw it out there. I don't think Walther is capable of doing it.

In this thread you have more than 1 buyer of a micro stack. Not a whole lot of people are looking for a "full sized" and that's what we got with the PDP. Even if they make the PDP a compact, who cares. My P365 can go from 10 to 15 with with a factory mag. With the 4" P365 due out soon? Eek.

I'd buy it too. But my feelings aren't in it any more. Walther really is a terrible company for getting us what we want.
I have shot the 365XL with its 3.7" barrel and really liked it, and I think I'll very soon buy a 365X with its 3.1" barrel.

It's a shame that Walther doesn't have a micro compact in this class.

Registered
I've got a Shield Plus and the best thing about it is the trigger, which is fantastic for any gun and especially a micro compact. Downside is..good luck loading the mags without a mag loader. Then when loaded try racking the slide. Also try thumbing the slide release to bring into battery. Both are virtually impossible. Still pleased with the firearm even with the quirks.
The mags were initially tough to load to capacity but now they can be done by hand. Racking the slide still takes a bit more muscle than my other guns but I'm fine with it. The only thing I don't like is the small trigger guard. My Shield Plus has recently put down my P99c for fall/winter carry. We will see how long I ride with it.

Registered
This has been posted and on their website as happening now for over a decade or some huge amount of time.

No US produce is being made from Walther that is worth mentioning.

Luckily I have the good fortune of being able to step on the production floor in under 60 seconds from where I'm typing this out from. I can in fact say they are producing plenty of stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts