Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: I'm ticked that it's hard to find holsters for my P99c.

Everyone here knows what I mean. They are suspiciously unpopular. Is there something I'm (and probably everyone here) missing?

I bought my P99c AS a couple days ago. 400 rounds later, I'm in love with it. In the last year I've owned: HK P2000 9mm LEM, Glock 30, Kel-tec .380, HK Mark 23, Sig 229 9mm, Sig 228 (9mm), Glock 26, HK P2000sk .40 LEM. Many thousands of rounds downrange.

My favorite gun out of the mix so far is the P99c AS. The ergos are pretty damn good. The shape of the trigger is hard on the tip of my finger though, and I'm only 5'8" and wear medium or large size gloves. If I move my finger in more, it's not as much of a problem. It's a tiny complaint. I like the HK P30/45 mag release more, and the HK USP/P2000(sk) style less, than the 99's. I prefer a traditional button, though. The trigger after about a thousand firings of a mix of dry and live is scoping out to be "plasticy" like an HK, which is certainly acceptable. The important part is the trigger pull is light. Much better than the LEM. If for some reason the owner had a fear of carrying in the AS mode, the traditional DA option is great. The trigger reset is phenomenal. I can't get over it. Good double-taps just happen, it's so easy. Love it.

The P99c is a DA/SA subcompact gun with a killer reset. Why aren't these guns more popular? Does the extra $100 or so more than a Glock or XD kill it, even though they're not DA/SA? The one-year warranty on a gun this expensive is stupid, regardless of S&W honoring claims after expiration. Does Walther have some sort of bad history I don't know about? Do bad experiences with P22s scare people off? I don't think a Sig Mosquito would scare someone off from buying a 226 or 229.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Long story short:
The P99c is a DA/SA subcompact gun with a killer reset. Why aren't these guns more popular? Does the extra $100 or so more than a Glock or XD kill it, even though they're not DA/SA? The one-year warranty on a gun this expensive is stupid, regardless of S&W honoring claims after expiration. Does Walther have some sort of bad history I don't know about? Do bad experiences with P22s scare people off? I don't think a Sig Mosquito would scare someone off from buying a 226 or 229.

mr rx:

Long story short: Walther did and does virtually NO advertising, marketing, or factory support for the Walther P99 to the US Market.

Walthers are imported by S&W who have pistols of their very own in direct competition, the SW99, so they had/have little incentive to push the P99's. Now they have the MP series..

IMO Walther P99/AS pistols are fantastic pistols and deserve better, but hey, serious marketing of the P99 to the US market should have been done YEARS ago.

To the best of my knowledge the P99 series of pistols (with the exception early on of some of the 40cal. models having some mag. "follower" issues) has had no record of having problems.

The P99 has been so under supported by the Walther Co. that in America a great number of American firearm owners/buyers think it is made BY S&W, in America, because S&W import marks are on the front of the barrel..

By the way the new PPS is getting more press and support, and is a fine 9mm pistol. I think the utility of the P99c/AS and the PPS overlap to some degree, but that's good as it gives the prospective buyer a choice.

I've been a Walther homer for decades starting off with a very nice surplus Walther PP decades ago. Then the surplus P1, P5, and now my P99's and PPS.. I've never had a bad Walther, but a lot of people never give the Walther brand a consideration because they simply see no positive advertisement for them.. Their loss imo.

I KNOW from personal experience that the Walther P99c/AS is a better (for me) choice in a compact 9mm pistol than either the Glock 26 or the Sig P239. But you will read 10 threads on the firearm forums for the Sigs and Glocks for every P99c/AS thread.

I've never seen a pistol more accurate right out of the box than the Walther P99c/AS...

Of course I'm a a Walther "homer" :D

Best Wishes,

JPomeroy

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think JPomeroy has it right. I'd also add that because of the excellence of the firearm brand in general, and the pricepoint of the P88 (and possibly the P5 as well) folks think the gun is higher priced than it really is, or that might be the perception. I lusted after the P88 for years, and when I finally went to the P99 I was quite surprised that the price wasn't considerably more.

Q

·
Registered
335 Posts
Two things:

If you mention a Walther firearm most of the dealers in my area will:

1. Think you are talking about the PPK.
2. Think you are talking about the P22.

Then the discussion goes around how old the PPK is and "slide bite" and how Smith & Wesson has screwed up the old "German PPK" and is worthless, or how much a pos the P22 is and how would you like to buy one REAL CHEAP?

Either way you never hear about the P99....

What a shame, the P99 deserves better.

JMOFO

JPomeroy

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think JPomeroy has it right. I'd also add that because of the excellence of the firearm brand in general, and the pricepoint of the P88 (and possibly the P5 as well) folks think the gun is higher priced than it really is, or that might be the perception. I lusted after the P88 for years, and when I finally went to the P99 I was quite surprised that the price wasn't considerably more.

Q
I agree. In fact a guy who has been mentoring me a little lately and is revolver guy was obviously surprised at the quality and accuracy of my P99 when he shot it. He said its not for him but he thought it was a good gun.

The lack of marketing is the only reason I can think of. I sort of recall a comment someone made once that Walther concentrates more on the European market and is not as interested in dealing with the hassles of the U.S. market. The U.S. is more of an afterthought. In some ways I like the surprise people get when the shoot it. Most seem to like the way it shoots. They just aren't used to operating it. Since I learned to shoot with a P99 I have the same issue with a Glock. I've got a Glock 30 but don't know if I'll keep it. I shoot it about once a month and run a box of 100 rounds through it.

I sort of stumbled in to Walthers. I'm 52 y/o and I got interested in firearms about a year ago. I researched the internet, a few gun magazines, gun stores to figure out what I wanted. During the NRA Basic Pistol Class I had an opportunity to shoot a Walther P22. I had only shot a pistol a few times, usually only one shot by pointing and squeezing the trigger and the class was my first opportunity to try several pistols. Frankly I was intimidated and a little scared of the power of handguns. I shot a couple of revolvers and another pistol but I really liked the P22 and thought this would be a good gun to begin learning to shoot with. I started renting all of the guns at the range and decided that I could handle a bigger caliber.:rolleyes: I really liked to P22 ergonomics. While perusing one of gun forums I noticed a full size P99 in 9mm for sale. I looked it up Walthers on the internet and decided to check it out. I met the guy, liked the fit, purchased it, and have shot around 2000 rounds through it. Looking back, my purchase was stupid I didn't know what to look for, whether the gun was reliable, abused, or whatever. I got lucky getting a gun that is great for me, carries easily, and I like the ergonomics of it.

I am going to to get more guns including the PPS, P22, and PPK. but I also want a 1911, a couple of revolvers and the requisite cowboy guns to shoot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had an interesting and somewhat unsettling experience last week. I took a three day tactical traing class taught by a nationally known instructor. The class was great, but he, the instructor, had the view that there were only three guns worth owning: a 1911; Glock; or XD. He did nothing to hide his distaste for my P99c.

Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an interesting and somewhat unsettling experience last week. I took a three day tactical traing class taught by a nationally known instructor. The class was great, but he, the instructor, had the view that there were only three guns worth owning: a 1911; Glock; or XD. He did nothing to hide his distaste for my P99c.

Ron
Did you ask him to try it? While I agree with him on the 1911 variants and the XD, Glocks and I do not get along. It ius the only pistol I know of that will flat not fit my hand. Good Triggers and accurate weapons but if I can not hold it properly then it does me no good. My P99 fits my hand like a glove.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Individual preference varies, even with instructors.

My neighbor has a good friend who is an exceptional instructor (ex-Blackwater instructor and PSD) who prefers HKs and Sigs, and dislikes Glocks.

Glock, HK, Sig, P99, whatever. They're good guns. Use a good example of what class of guns work for you (DA/SA vs SAO cocked-and-locked vs Glock-style action, 1911/HK/Sig grip angle vs the Lugeroid Glock/XD/etc).

·
Registered
28 Posts

Ron
Ron, there are many hobbies in which one finds know it alls and blow hards. Unfortunately ours is among the most well stocked with both.

To quote The Last Samuri; "Too Many Mind".

I wonder what this guy would say if you shot like crap with the 1911, Glock, or XD?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
"He did nothing to hide his distaste for my P99c.

Ron"

...but not your money. So much for good referrals and repeat business. Great PR move Mr. Instructor.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Ron

Ron:

The fact that this person is a "nationally known instructor" is one thing.. Apparently he is not smart enough to realize that other manufacturers such as Walther/H&K/Sig, among others make excellent firearms also.

The instructor has his preferences and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that but regardless of whatever skills he has in the "firearms training area" he is sorely lacking in both common sense and tact.

By showing obvious "distaste" for the Walther, or any other recognizable quality firearm he isonly showing he has a very high opinion of himself and his "skills" and in his mind if you do not agree with "his" choices you are somehow lacking in judgement.

Walther hasn't been in business for over a century by producing inferior firearms. Just because Walthers are not popular (nor well marketed) in the U.S. doesn't mean the rest of the world has that same opinion.

I'm willing to bet that a P99/AS right out of the box will outshoot 99% of the stock 1911's of the world, and probably shoot AT LEAST as accurately and reliably as 99% of Glocks and XD's.;)

Now, IF you had asked that person his opinion of your Walther and then he had nothing good to say about it, then no problem. He is entitled to a personal opinion, but unless you asked for it as a professional he should have kept his mouth shut and make no observation, unless it was positive.

He may be a "nationally known instructor", but he is not a professional in his actions and attitudes.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. :)

Just MY opinion/YMMV

JPomeroy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't misunderstand my post. He did nothing to cause me to love my P99c any less, and it was indeed not very tactful on his part. I just found it so consistent with attitudes some have about Walthers I have found reflected in so many other threads on the Forum. Arrogance, ignorance, who knows, and frankly who cares.

Ron

·
Registered
225 Posts
He probably owns/prefers to shoot 1911s and has a customized one as a personal firearm. Glock and XD are heavily into marketing, sponsorship, and advertising. I wonder how much Glock and XD sponsor him and his school or provide "goodies".

·
Registered
134 Posts
He probably owns/prefers to shoot 1911s and has a customized one as a personal firearm. Glock and XD are heavily into marketing, sponsorship, and advertising. I wonder how much Glock and XD sponsor him and his school or provide "goodies".
He definitely shoots a 1911, which is what he shot during the course. And, you may well be right on about the sponsor business. But, again, who really cares what he thinks. Those of us who own and shoot P99's don't need his, or anyone else's approval, to know the quality of the gun.

Ron

·
Registered
225 Posts
He definitely shoots a 1911, which is what he shot during the course. And, you may well be right on about the sponsor business. But, again, who really cares what he thinks. Those of us who own and shoot P99's don't need his, or anyone else's approval, to know the quality of the gun.

Ron
I may be wrong but I'm of the opinion that a great "pistolero" should be able to shoot excellent with any pistol. Especially with a few practice shots to get the hang of it.

When I was much younger I was a pretty fair shot on the pool table. Having a straight stick was always great, but once I figured out the idiosyncrasies of a stick I could still win most of the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts