Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got more serious with the p99 after owning one, and i have to say it is one of the most addicting and fun guns to shoot. I place it equivalent to 1911's and P7's as far as trigger feel, controllability, and reliability. It is very accurate and easy to target in on follow up shots.

I've shot USPs (all types), Berettas, glocks, and not to be biased but my experiences has been great. Even the old PPK didn't do it for me as I wasn't happy with the round size and reliability.

The only problem i have is the older model kk hurts my trigger finger. I'm going to check threads about how to solve this problem.

But back to my main topic, any idea why it hasn't caught on to date? I know it has been discussed a few times before, but I'm curious to know how come truly it hasn't been made "more" popular, like the USP or Glocks. Price wise it is still in the same range as cheaper guns if you want the higher end.

Could it be that the SW99 version screwed up the US market by being the same design and S&W fans got that and heard bad reviews, causing the P99 to suffer it's same fate?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think they are not doing marketing here because SW99 is their partner here and they don't want to cannibalize their sales?

Who is their real distributors here in the USA? Is Earl the only distributor? Everytime I call him he's the only one answering the phone? How can 1000's of Walthers be sent if he was the only distributor in N. America?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Smith & Wesson is their official US distributor and is the one responsible for the marketing in the U.S.

Earl is a licensed distributor as well, but at a much lower volume.

I suspect that S&W doesn't put any more effort than the minimum the contract calls for because they have their own polymer guns to market as well.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The P99 remains one of the "great sleepers" of all time. If more folks only knew.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was bond good marketing or bad marketing? I know it helped for the ppk in many ways...people see the ppk and they say bond.

I guess when they see a p99 they say airgun?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smith & Wesson is their official US distributor and is the one responsible for the marketing in the U.S.

I suspect that S&W doesn't put any more effort than the minimum the contract calls for because they have their own polymer guns to market as well.
It's no wonder the walther's aren't selling. i wonder if it would be a good business opportunity to become a distributor for them. What does it take to become a distributor for walther?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It's no wonder the walther's aren't selling. i wonder if it would be a good business opportunity to become a distributor for them. What does it take to become a distributor for walther?
Interesting question. You wouldn need to get your BATF importer's license ($500 i think), and then the hard part, get Walther to distribute to you.:)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. S&W is making a MAJOR push of their M&P model. Unfortunately, it's had some problems and people are steering clear of it 'till things are worked out. The price of the Walther may be hurting sales too. Glocks and other plastic guns are generally much less expensive. Who can forget the play the PPK got in Dr. No. The P-99 wasn't even officially issued to Bond...he picked it up in China in the first movie it was in with Pierce Brosnan. Then it just "appeared" in the following movies. No reason given for why Bond switched over. You would think Walther would at least MENTION "the official sidearm of the world's most famous secret agent" in advertising. But nothing. I don't know if it's just stoopid marketing or like WaltherP99man says...S&W has their own competing sidearm to push.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Here's another contributing factor: People don't think Walther. For whatever reason, it's not the first gun -- or the second or third -- that pops to mind when people start to consider firearms.

You see it all the time on the range: You arrive, pull a PPK or a P1 or a P5, or even a P99, out of your range bag, and the rest of the gang up and down the line will get that funny look on their faces -- the one that says, "Hey, what'cha got there, pardner?" When you show 'em, they get another funny look on their face, and we've all seen this look, too: It's the one that says, "Well I'll be damned -- I'd 've never thought of one of those."

It happened again today with two local range rats who were taking their Colts out for a morning drive. My son and I showed up with a brace of P99Cs and a P1. One of them asked to take a look at the P1. When I offered to let him shoot it, he ran a few through rounds though and said, comically, "What did you say this was again?" And the P99C was too foreign, apparently, to even consider inquiring about.

Crappy marketing? Sure. A lack of advertising? Absolutely. Gun dealers who don't carry them or don't consider them and recommend them to customers? By all means -- all are contributing factors. And Dep is absolutely right: If you don't push the fact that the world's most famous secret agent carries a Walther, you are missing the 10-ring; hell, you are missing the whole freakin' target.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Searcher you and the Dep are spot on. I am relatively new to Walther and I've been shooting for over 25 years. Had it not been for my ill-fated experience with the M&P (2 of them no less) and the question posed by my local gun shop manager, "hey, have you ever thought about a Walther P99?" I never would have given the Walther a second thought. I ended-up trading my remaining M&P for a P99c in .40SW and I've never looked back. I like it so much, I bought a P99c in 9mm.

Yes to the M&P's current problems specifically having to do with the mag catch design and its weak spring. The result is mags dropping while firing and an often extremely sensitive (weak) mag release button. Not a confidence builder if you intend to carry. If S&W aggressively marketed the Walther, it would only hurt the M&P more. I think the P99 is a much better gun and at this point in time, all the kinks have been worked out.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Here's another contributing factor: People don't think Walther. For whatever reason, it's not the first gun -- or the second or third -- that pops to mind when people start to consider firearms.
Glocks have a gangsta appeal. I know of a number of people who what a Glock for that reason. SIGS and HK are marketed as "Millitary" type of weapons, another big selling point for many.

On the more practical side, lack of parts and holster availablility are a huge drawback.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. S&W is making a MAJOR push of their M&P model. Unfortunately, it's had some problems and people are steering clear of it 'till things are worked out. The price of the Walther may be hurting sales too. Glocks and other plastic guns are generally much less expensive. Who can forget the play the PPK got in Dr. No. The P-99 wasn't even officially issued to Bond...he picked it up in China in the first movie it was in with Pierce Brosnan. Then it just "appeared" in the following movies. No reason given for why Bond switched over. You would think Walther would at least MENTION "the official sidearm of the world's most famous secret agent" in advertising. But nothing. I don't know if it's just stoopid marketing or like WaltherP99man says...S&W has their own competing sidearm to push.

Dep
this reminds me of how the good old German made Mercedes benz reputation was lost when Daimler merged with Crystler. The quality was so bad and the reputation was damaged to the point they sold off Crystler at a loss.

I think Walther was much better without walther. Back my first generation in pistols the P88 was so loved...were the already with S&W back then?

Bring back the P88, today, in a day of internet and mass marketing, it will give Sigs a run for the money. If only the P99 will get a reputation like the P88 did.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Actually the Walther has a bigger brain than Britney.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
with the p99 durability, flexibility and reliability, i don't know why it is not popular...it truly doesn't make sense and leads me to believe there's a conspiracy to make it not sell.

It has all the trigger variations one can want, AS, QPQ, QA, DAO and yet it won't appeal to LE's, etc. They have lightweight for metal slides, hardly need to be cleaned, lasts tens of thousands of rounds without any parts to be replaced, feeds anything, almost flat as a pancake, can hold up to 16 rounds without extension, what more?

I dont buy the price reason too much because $150 is less than 50% more than what the others go for, and an import, it is made in Germany and it is expected for imports to be more expensive considering the Euro is more these days. Also, last time I checked Sig's they are all over $500 new as well. So how does guys like blackwater, US Sec Service all get Sigs and Glocks, and I haven't seen any P99's with US Gov Contracts.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I dunno about Glocks having gangster appeal...does the syndicate have a preference??? I saw Tony Soprano carrying a Glock. Saw Pauly Walnuts carrying a Beretta. I would think gangsters will use whatever they can get their hands on. :)
I do know that Glock pushed VERY heavily for police adoption in the US. They were notorious for undercutting S&W and almost giving away Glocks to police departments just to get them to adopt them. And that strategy seems to have worked. I've owned Glocks in 9MM, ,45ACP (a real POS), and 10MM.
The 9MM Model 17 and Model 26 were the best versions IMHO. But they certainly don't have the innovations and "sex appeal" of the P-99. And Glock triggers are crap for me. Too dang mushy. They are, however, quite easy to maintain and work on.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I dont buy the price reason too much because $150 is less than 50% more than what the others go for, and an import, it is made in Germany and it is expected for imports to be more expensive considering the Euro is more these days. Also, last time I checked Sig's they are all over $500 new as well. So how does guys like blackwater, US Sec Service all get Sigs and Glocks, and I haven't seen any P99's with US Gov Contracts.

You BETTER buy the price reason!!! Here's a newsflash for you...police officers generally do NOT get "issued" their guns. They have to pay for them out of their own pocket. Cops do not get paid big money. So they are going to go with the chepaest authorized firearm they can get. Glocks have blown away the competitors in competitive pricing, and they are made in Austria. So import cost is no excuse. It's aggressive marketing by Glock that has won over cops to the Glock.

Dep

·
Registered
910 Posts
with the p99 durability, flexibility and reliability, i don't know why it is not popular...it truly doesn't make sense and leads me to believe there's a conspiracy to make it not sell.

It has all the trigger variations one can want, AS, QPQ, QA, DAO and yet it won't appeal to LE's, etc. They have lightweight for metal slides, hardly need to be cleaned, lasts tens of thousands of rounds without any parts to be replaced, feeds anything, almost flat as a pancake, can hold up to 16 rounds without extension, what more?

I don't know what Walther did or did not do to get a government contract. Politics plays a big role as well as where the gun is made. And then there are the trials, price point, how fast can they deliver and on and on. I am one of those "guys" you mentioned who is issued a Sig - the P229 in 9mm to be exact and nothing against the Walther but the P229 is an extraordinary weapon and is performing very well in the sand and dust of Iraq. Sig makes a helluva gun. My only complaint with the P229 is its girth and weight.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts