Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beyond collector's interest, why does anyone choose a PPK over a PPK/S? I don't ask this to make a statement, or state a preference, but it seems to me that the larger grip creates a gun that is much easier to grip for most hand sizes. Is it strictly a question of the smaller size of the PPK?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smaller size plus the fact it's technically the "real" PPK. I bought the PPK/S because it fit my hands better but I was very tempted to go with the PPK.
I know the feeling. I picked up an Interarms PPK for sale and I was amazed at how much better the PPK/S feels on my hands. Yet, I was tempted (and still am) I think for the reason that you state.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I think it all depends on what form of PPK you choose.

By that I mean, if you are buying a German made gun, say a pre WW2, then the PPK is an classic handgun - and fun to have for history's sake. They are beautifully made things -sculptures really, and to me seem about as near as you can get to the "perfect" handgun.

Post WW2 PPK's, not quite so finely made, will always be associated with James Bond, still classic pistols. I have never found the original German PPK to be particuliarly available. In years past the post war pistols always seemed the hardest to find. Now, with the internet more are available for sale than ever before, but at pretty high prices.

If you are wanting a pistol to carry or shoot, and go Post 1968, then the PPK/S actually was a good choice. With the full metal backstrap of the PP, in the U.S. preferred .380 ACP, it is far easier to shoot than the PPK. The PPK/S is a bastard combo of the PPK slide and PP frame, created to get around the 1968 GCA which banned the PPK in the U.S. With the flat magazine installed it is only a 1/4 longer than the PPK.

For shooting/carrying PPK/S is the better choice - stronger too since if you were to drop a PPK with the plastic wraparound grip, it might shatter and the gun would be impossible to shoot!! If you choose the PPK in .32 or .22, its a fun shooter and just plain neat! They are definately marginal for self defense, but worth owning nonetheless.

In the Interarms made pistols, they are still faithful to the original design and well made. I would say the equal of any Walther produced as "shooters". In the newer Smith & Wesson, IMO they begin to look like Chinese knock-offs of real Walthers, with the extruded beavertail, thicker grip and the unecessarily sharp and unfinshed bevels on the front of the slide. Quality of the S&W appears uneven at best.

So in the modern shooting pistol, go with the stronger PPK/S especially in the .380, there is no real advantage to the PPK - and more disadvantage with the weaker grip.

But when looking around for that next Walther don't forget the PPK's big brother the PP, still available as surplus at reasonable prices and of great quality -everyone who loves Walther's should have one. If you go stalking the originals, it is a worthwhile hobby, but carry a lot of green - you'll need it.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Lacking a backstrap, the PPK will accept a one-piece Nill grip that is seamless at the rear and eliminates all the angles and sharp corners of the grips and backstrap of the PPK/s that bear against the web of one's hand. With arthritic hands I am particularly sensitive to that. IMO the PPK with the Nill grip is much more comfortable to shoot in .380 than any PP or
PPK/s with any aftermarket grip.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I seem to be an anomoly here with my views on the PPK vs PPK/S discussion.

The first gun I ever held was my dad's 1966 W. German blued Walther PPK .380...it was after we watched a Sunday Night Movie on ABC Bond film.

The PPK has always felt perfectly ergonomic in my big hand. With the finger extension, my middle, ring and pinky fingers fit nice and tight on the grip. The gun points naturally for me.

When I became a police officer, I bought a 1988 Interarms stainless PPK .380 for off duty carry. I've carried it for almost 20 years now. I usually carry it without the finger extention magazine though. I find the PPK to be very light for carrying. And without the extension, the PPK doesn't "print" under my shirt or jacket when carried to the rear of my right hip (either inside the pants or in a flat belt concealment holster).

I remember when the first marriage of the PP frame with a PPK slide/barrel came out as the PPK/S. The gun writers said the "S" stood for "Special" since it was required for importation to the US under the Gun Control Act of 1968. In Europe it was referred to as the PPK/Stupid or the PPK/Sh*t.

I have a pre-WWII German .32 PPK and my dad has numerous other PPK versions. My hand is very used to the excellent feel of the PPK.

At work, a few co-workers have handled and fired my PPK. Many have then purchased their own. The Walther PPK is the most popular off duty carry gun in my department. One guy bought a PPK/S because he didn't catch the difference at the gun store (he's not very knowledgable). After he owned it for awhile, he complained to me that it was too heavy for him and didn't feel as good as he thought it would. When I let him compare my PPK to his PPK/S, he was very disappointed. All I could tell him was "buyer beware."

I've read articles where people have questioned the reasoning for Interarms and now S&W making the PPK/S "in" the United States where the import laws don't apply (hence the fact that they also make the PPK). The answer has been that some people like the thicker, heavier and longer (one extra round) grip of the PPK/S. But they also felt there was no market for a US made PP with the longer slide/barrel.

I've dropped my gun a few times and watched it skitter across surfaces that I was sure would cause damage. But my black plastic Interarms grips have never failed me.

Like most guns, I think the PPK vs. PPK/S debate is a matter of personal subjective preference. I just like the lighter weight and shorter grip of the PPK.

-Steve

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I've had two PPK/S pistols in .380. Both Interarms. They felt "OK" in my hands. I just recently bought the S&W PPK in .32 auto. It feels GREAT in my hands. I agree with a lot of what 153 says. But the PPK sure felt a lot better than the PPK/S both in shooting and in feel. So I am with mm6 in that regard. (A second anomoly?!?!?!?) :D

As to the new PPK from S&W, I am "generally pleased" with it. The only problem I have had is the crappy plastic grips, probably made in some third world rathole country. No gun grip should start disintegrating when you clean the gun with ANY of the modern solvents available. I cleaned both my previous PPK/S pistols with Hoppe's #9 and neither of them displayed the corrosion of the S&W grips. S&W/Walther should offer Eagle or some other make wood replacement grips for sale for the PPK on their website. I think they would sell like hotcakes. I heard from Hogue today, and the e-mail, although a bit garbled, seem to state that they make grips for the new S&W PPK. I think I would call them to make sure though.

I don't care much for the PP pistol. In that size you are approaching small 9MM pistols with bigger magazine capacities, so there's not much sense in buying the PP.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
mm6mm6,

Who could disagree with a fellow who owns such a beautiful PPK!!!

Dep,

I am hoping that once you get your grip issue solved, your PPK works out to be the best pocket gun you have ever owned!

I just love the PPK, but my old Interarms in .380 was a beast! Now I might say that I didn't give it a fair shot, as I sold it right after it made hamburger of my hand, something my .32 has NEVER done!! If I had it to do over again, I would opt for a pair of Nill or Hogue grips, i'll wager the slightly thicker handle and some good checkering would have made a lot of difference.

As a gun "conservative" I like the PPK and the PP, and consider the PPK/S a sad little pup - the scion of stupid lawmakers.

I don't find the PP any less handier than the PPK, but since the PPS has emerged - at about the same size as the PP. I would rather carry something in that vein, a more powerful handgun that is more "disposable".

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. That gives me a lot to think about. The next time I'm in the shop if that Interarms PPK is still there I'm going to take a long look at it and consider the Nills grips as an option.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
"I have never found the original German PPK to be particuliarly available."

Boy, ain't that the truth!!! I have never found ANY version of the PPK to be particularly available. I was pretty surprised when I was able to order my S&W PPK and the wholesalers actually had the .32 auto version IN STOCK!!!!:eek: Most folks opt for the .380, and .32 auto has been out of favor for ages. Possibly the Seecamp and other ultra-compact pistols have caused a revival of the .32 auto. Oh yeah...it's also possible that the .32 auto makes the PPK a more pleasant gun to shoot, too. Since many guys like to use hot-loaded .380 to up the performance, it also makes it less fun to shoot with the higher recoil.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am the fortunate owner of a 1994 Interarms blued PPK. It truly is a thing of beauty. Many things you read these days talk about how much more "gun" you can get in the same size. Well, i'm one who believes that you can "kill" with an icepick if you hit the right spot so I don't pay much attention to the Rambo types who insist that anything less than a howitzer is useless. Also, I own or have owned many modern plastic pistols that are excellent weapons, but since I seldom find myself in "Combat", I need a small, efficient, easily hidden pistol for use at bad breath distance... last ditch self defense not shootouts across a mall parking lot! The fact that my PPK is also a beautiful pistol gives me something I can't seem to attain with a plastic gun, pride of ownership. Oh yeah, to get back on topic, not only do I carry the smaller PPK, but I prefer to carry and shoot it with the flat baseplate. It's the only gun, in my opinion, that feels right with the pinky curled underneath.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"I have never found the original German PPK to be particuliarly available."

Boy, ain't that the truth!!! I have never found ANY version of the PPK to be particularly available. I was pretty surprised when I was able to order my S&W PPK and the wholesalers actually had the .32 auot version IN STOCK!!!!:eek: Most folks opt for the .380, and .32 auto has been out of favor for ages. Possibly the Seecamp and other ultra-compact pistols have caused a revival of the .32 auto. Oh yeah...it's also possible that the .32 auto makes the PPK a more pleasant gun to shoot, too. Since many guys like to use hot-loaded .380 to up the performance, it also makes it less fun to shoot with the higher recoil.

Dep
I think the .32 is underrated as a shooter. I had an HK4 in .32 and it was a joy. If the PPK that I was looking at is in .32 it will make it even more desirable to me. Truth is I doubt it is still there.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am the fortunate owner of a 1994 Interarms blued PPK. It truly is a thing of beauty. Many things you read these days talk about how much more "gun" you can get in the same size. Well, i'm one who believes that you can "kill" with an icepick if you hit the right spot so I don't pay much attention to the Rambo types who insist that anything less than a howitzer is useless. Also, I own or have owned many modern plastic pistols that are excellent weapons, but since I seldom find myself in "Combat", I need a small, efficient, easily hidden pistol for use at bad breath distance... last ditch self defense not shootouts across a mall parking lot! The fact that my PPK is also a beautiful pistol gives me something I can't seem to attain with a plastic gun, pride of ownership. Oh yeah, to get back on topic, not only do I carry the smaller PPK, but I prefer to carry and shoot it with the flat baseplate. It's the only gun, in my opinion, that feels right with the pinky curled underneath.
True enough, with some if you have anything less than a 9mm they act like you're shooting an Airsoft.

While I have no difficulty in experiencing pride of ownership in my polymer guns, there is a certain extra that one gets with a gun like the Walther in terms of details and craftsmanship that puts the gun on a separate level. I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Well, i'm one who believes that you can "kill" with an icepick if you hit the right spot so I don't pay much attention to the Rambo types who insist that anything less than a howitzer is useless.
LOL...well you better be using an icepick the size of a railroad spike if you want to get the job done. And why use a PPK?...you can use a .25ACP or even a .22 if an icepick gun is for you and get even more concealability. I don't think you need to carry a howitzer to kill someone, but you better be able to score numerous icepick holes to get the job done if an icepick caliber gun is your choice. Me, if I were given the choice between a large caliber gun or a PPK-caliber gun, I'd take the large caliber EVERY time. The .380/.32 auto are compromise loads and most guys use them as backup calibers rather than main guns.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL...well you better be using an icepick the size of a railroad spike if you want to get the job done. And why use a PPK?...you can use a .25ACP or even a .22 if an icepick gun is for you and get even more concealability. I don't think you need to carry a howitzer to kill someone, but you better be able to score numerous icepick holes to get the job done if an icepick caliber gun is your choice.
Man, that's true as well. I think possibly that the "Rambo" howitzer guys may be more guys who realize that at the point that you pick up your gun to actually shoot someone eyour body's physiology will have gone nuts and all kinds of nasty psychological things will be going and that accurate shot placement will be pretty much out the window. Starting out with seven shots only compounds the issue. Further, if you are shooting across a parking lot you are going to be in big trouble to begin with on several levels. I guess the caliber argument is that the reality of a hit isn't all that high so when (and where) you do hit you have got to make it count.

I think maybe those "Rambo" guys may well be guys who know their own limitations who want to maximize the probability of surviving in light of those limitations. And as we all know, a good man always knows his limitations :D (Sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
While the 1911 Colt might be the most prolific of all handguns, the Walther PP/PPK is probably the most imitated.

From the clean DA/SA trigger, the slide mounted safety, elegant looks and practical size, the PPK has everthing going for it - but power!!!

It is nice we live in an era of advanced ammunition that makes the marginal .22, .32 and .380 more effective than ever, and if you prefer the FMC cartridges the PPK has another thing going for it ... accuracy!!!

If you are up to it, the PPK can be an "icepick".

·
Registered
91 Posts
While the 1911 Colt might be the most prolific of all handguns, the Walther PP/PPK is probably the most imitated.

From the clean DA/SA trigger, the slide mounted safety, elegant looks and practical size, the PPK has everthing going for it - but power!!!

It is nice we live in an era of advanced ammunition that makes the marginal .22, .32 and .380 more effective than ever, and if you prefer the FMC cartridges the PPK has another thing going for it ... accuracy!!!

If you are up to it, the PPK can be an "icepick".

If Walther wanted, there's no reason I know of the PPK couldn't be altered to be chambered in 9mm luger. I wonder if they have thought of this.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts