Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off PLEASE no "what's wrong with the plastic factory guide rod yada yada?" respones. Short answer nothing but some people prefer a metal guide rod and the heavier weight vs. plastic does reduces muzzle flip a hair, more felt in the .40 than the 9mm. Steve Bedair has been offering caputred s/s guide rods for Sigs for years and they are very popular. I use one in my P239 .357 Sig. And Top Gun Supply sells a lot of them. He'll make one up for your P99 if you send him the factory captured plastic guide rod assembly. Cost is around $20 the last time I checked and he does nice work.

OK now that we got that out of the way :), I just got around to installing my Bedair in my P99 9mm. I'd like to hear from users to see if they noticed any appreciable difference good or bad. Thanks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got around to shooting my P99 with the Bedair today and it was flawless. Maybe it was my imagination but I also noted some reduced muzzle flip. Mine is a 9mm. It would be interesting to try it out in a P99 .40. I think that is where the true benefit lies, that and the fact that you have a stronger part.

http://guiderod.com/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Me too

I have put about 500 rounds through my 9mm P99AS since installing the Bedair metal guide rod. There have been no problems whatsoever. I think there's been a slight reduction in muzzle flip, due to the slight extra weight I guess. Also, to my mind, the metal looks better, sturdier, more reliable, and classier, than the plastic guide (I know this is probably all in the eye of the beholder though.)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have put about 500 rounds through my 9mm P99AS since installing the Bedair metal guide rod. There have been no problems whatsoever. I think there's been a slight reduction in muzzle flip, due to the slight extra weight I guess. Also, to my mind, the metal looks better, sturdier, more reliable, and classier, than the plastic guide (I know this is probably all in the eye of the beholder though.)
I agree with you 100 percent. And your results mirror mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just picked up my .40 S&W, I might have to give this a try.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked up my .40 S&W, I might have to give this a try.
Steve is a great guy. I'd email him first so he knows to expect your OEM recoil spring assembly. He will need it to convert it to his s/s assembly.

Ever since I had a plastic recoil spring assembly fall apart in a Glock 27 after only 400 rounds in a new gun, I have been a bit "gun shy (no pun intended) about certain plastic parts, but that's just me. Seems like everyone that I know who shoots Sigs has his guide rod in their guns.

I think with the .40 is where you will see the most benefit in terms of reducing felt recoil and muzzle flip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Steve is a great guy. I'd email him first so he knows to expect your OEM recoil spring assembly. He will need it to convert it to his s/s assembly.

Ever since I had a plastic recoil spring assembly fall apart in a Glock 27 after only 400 rounds in a new gun, I have been a bit "gun shy (no pun intended) about certain plastic parts, but that's just me. Seems like everyone that I know who shoots Sigs has his guide rod in their guns.

I think with the .40 is where you will see the most benefit in terms of reducing felt recoil and muzzle flip.
Thanks Kraigster, sounds like good advice. I have many Sigs and don't yet have these. I could be a new love affair...with the guide rod that is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have one of these guide rods in my second generation 40 caliber P99 pistol. I have a 1st generation 40 caliber P99 with the stock factory plastic guide rod. The perceived recoil is no different between these two pistols for me. Steve uses the factory recoil spring from your plastic guide rod when he build your custom steel guide rod.

I use the Steve Bedair steel guide rod in my concealed carry P99. I have not had a plastic guide rod break, but like the idea of steel better. Also it just looks cooler. It makes the Walther that much sexier. After all, there are only so many upgrades to be done on the P99, it is near perfect from the factory. Just put on some night sights, gets a steel rod and the P99 is ready to show off its Bling-Bling!:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
guide rod

I might be willing to try one of these fancy guide rods or even one of the recoil-reducing spring/rod sets, BUT nobody anodizes them. They're all silver. Sorry, I don't want that showing in an all black gun. Make a black one or at least color the tip and I might consider it.

chris

·
Registered
361 Posts
I might be willing to try one of these fancy guide rods or even one of the recoil-reducing spring/rod sets, BUT nobody anodizes them. They're all silver. Sorry, I don't want that showing in an all black gun. Make a black one or at least color the tip and I might consider it.

chris
Couldn't you just use a black paint marker and paint the tip to your liking? I understand that in time it will wear off, but for approx 2 cents worth of paint ... I think you might be able to justify painting it yourself.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

chris
It's a gun, it's a tool, the bad guy doesn't care if you aren't color coordinated and the area where it shows silver is so small as to be a non-starter. But if it really bothers you, go the Magic Marker route.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's a gun, it's a tool, the bad guy doesn't care if you aren't color coordinated and the area where it shows silver is so small as to be a non-starter. But if it really bothers you, go the Magic Marker route.
Agreed. In fact a bad guy should be the only one seeing it. I'm not going to point it towards anyone else to see it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. In fact a bad guy should be the only one seeing it. I'm not going to point it towards anyone else to see it.
+1. Actually I like the tiny bit of contrast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
guide rod

If they are going to charge $60-$80 for a metal rod and a spring, the least they could do is color it the color of the factory part.
My plastic guide rod has worked fine for years. So if I'm spending that kind of money on something to replace it, I want all improvement and no negatives. It needs to "fit" the gun in every way. Anodize it, powder coat it, whatever. I'm not buying a part and Sharpie it black to make it look like it belongs in the gun it was supposedly custom made for.

But that's me.
chris

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If they are going to charge $60-$80 for a metal rod and a spring, the least they could do is color it the color of the factory part.
My plastic guide rod has worked fine for years. So if I'm spending that kind of money on something to replace it, I want all improvement and no negatives. It needs to "fit" the gun in every way. Anodize it, powder coat it, whatever. I'm not buying a part and Sharpie it black to make it look like it belongs in the gun it was supposedly custom made for.

But that's me.
chris
Fior starters, you need to get your facts right before you post. No way is the Bedair rod $60-80 and he uses the spring that is on your OEM assembly. I have no idea where you got that dollar figure from.

How you spend your discretionary income is certainly your call. I would never resort to a Sharpie either becuase I find absolutely nothing objectionale to a spot of silver on the business end of a gun. As a matter of fact many prefer a s/s rod over a black rod as the blackened finish tends to wear.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You know they have other options besides a sharpie. If you haven't seen the technological marvels know as "paint sticks" or "stain sticks" then you haven't been to a Walmart or Lowes in years. Paint markers are just that and do a better job of covering the spot. (trying to be funny here, just in case you can't tell)

Now to get the real point of the post. If you don't like it and you still want the rod ... have it powder coated yourself. You can send it off to any number of places that can apply a coating to your liking. I would guess that at most that it would cost you to have just the tip would be $10. My suggestion is go that route or just quit complaining and start your own business of making guide rods for other enthusiests such as yourself who don't like a silver tip. I am sure there are enough people to start your business and make a profit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
facts???

What facts?? It's just my opinion.
I never mentioned the Bedair rod in particular. I know, that is what the original post was about. I was talking about custom guide rods (reread my posts).
Bedair lists captive spring guide rods at $35 and right, you have to supply the spring. Sprinco wants ~$80 for theirs (with springs).
And, yes I could color it myself. The sharpie comment was a reference to the email I recieved back from Sprinco.

Why the confrontational attitude?

·
Registered
90 Posts
does anyone have a photo showing the s/s rod in place on a black P99? Seems to me like it would be aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What facts?? It's just my opinion.
I never mentioned the Bedair rod in particular. I know, that is what the original post was about. I was talking about custom guide rods (reread my posts).
Bedair lists captive spring guide rods at $35 and right, you have to supply the spring. Sprinco wants ~$80 for theirs (with springs).
And, yes I could color it myself. The sharpie comment was a reference to the email I recieved back from Sprinco.

Why the confrontational attitude?
My response to you was not intended to be confrontational. The original intent of this thread was to solicit responses from those who are using the Bedair rod in their P99's and to see if they have experienced any reduction in felt recoil/muzzzle flip, not to discuss price/benefits of a different product (Sprinco), preferred colors, etc.

To clarify why you are comparing apples to oranges by bringing up the Sprinco system....the motivation for buying a Sprinco is to reduce felt recoil. People who install a Bedair s/s rod on the other hand do so primarily because they feel more comfortable with a conventional but all-steel recoil rod. Reduced felt recoil and muzzle flip fortunately are also a residual benefit of an all-steel vs. plastic rod though one could argue how much. And that was the point of this thread.

Two differernt parts, two different purposes and a sizeable difference in cost. I have the Bedair rod in a 9mm P99 but haven't noticed a big difference in felt recoil. I am wondering how it (the Bedair) performs in the more robust .40SW. NOW can we move on? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
First off PLEASE no "what's wrong with the plastic factory guide rod yada yada?" respones. Short answer nothing but some people prefer a metal guide rod and the heavier weight vs. plastic does reduces muzzle flip a hair, more felt in the .40 than the 9mm. Steve Bedair has been offering caputred s/s guide rods for Sigs for years and they are very popular. I use one in my P239 .357 Sig. And Top Gun Supply sells a lot of them. He'll make one up for your P99 if you send him the factory captured plastic guide rod assembly. Cost is around $20 the last time I checked and he does nice work.

OK now that we got that out of the way :), I just got around to installing my Bedair in my P99 9mm. I'd like to hear from users to see if they noticed any appreciable difference good or bad. Thanks.
Kraig,

In responce to your original post.
I have NO experience with the Bedair guide rod.
You mention "reduces muzzle flip"; as you may already know their are other spring guide rod systems intended for this purpose. Not trying to start a apples/oranges(?) comparison. I also get the impression that you are NOT looking for contrary opinions about this product.
Again, I have no experience this product. It looks to be a adequate replacement that should give some, perhaps percieved reduced muzzle flip but only by the means of it's greater mass over the stock plastic part. As a whole, the mass of the gun should change only slightly. Hence the percieved comment.

(again just my opinion)
chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts